Bengals-free agency

Wildcat

Marvin Lewis has said on bengals.com that after the Smith signing, they will not have enough room to sign any high priced free agents like Adalius Thomas. They only have enough room to sign their own restricted. (Curnutte of the Enquirer wrong again!)

If Smith would sign a long term deal, it could free up some room under the cap.

I'm sure this will anger many, but Marvin knows more about his talent than any one.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5899

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marvin knows more about Smith's talent? I think its pretty obvious at this point in Smith's career what you are going to get out of him. Still not really happy with him signing and defiantly don't want him to sign a long term deal.

Who would you call the Bengals best defensive player last year? I'm not happy about it either, but long term would free up some money next season. Plus it's the NFL and you can waive him whenever you want.

Geathers.

He only played half the snaps. Smith played every down, made big plays, and put up big numbers. He was bound to eventually (saved it for FA year). I believe that he's not that good, he's going to make too much money, and we should have switched to the 3-4, but I don't think we have the LB's.

Marvin Lewis has said on bengals.com that after the Smith signing, they will not have enough room to sign any high priced free agents like Adalius Thomas. They only have enough room to sign their own restricted. (Curnutte of the Enquirer wrong again!)

If Smith would sign a long term deal, it could free up some room under the cap.

I'm sure this will anger many, but Marvin knows more about his talent than any one.

http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=5899

And I still maintain that you completely misread his articles...Because it was pretty much known by everyone if we franchised Smith, that we would not be signing any big name free agents....

Geathers is better against the pass, but Smith is better against the run. Smith is solid against the pass. You can add a sack (clutch at that) for the TB fiasco. Long term I'd rather have Geathers, but if we are playing a 4-3 we need both of them.

Geathers is better against the pass, but Smith is better against the run. Smith is solid against the pass. You can add a sack (clutch at that) for the TB fiasco. Long term I'd rather have Geathers, but if we are playing a 4-3 we need both of them.

If we are playing the 4-3 it would be nice to have another actual better pass rusher to go with Geathers. Smith has gotten very good against the run, and I know he usually get around his 7 sacks each year. But the thing is how many times does he not get ANY pressure at all on the QB? Most of the times he gets blocked and doesn't even get close to the QB when I watch him. So when we dont have guys who can put pressure on the QB its going to get our DB's killed like always. I would have liked to see this team have Geathers and another speed rusher because since we dont blitz much we need to get to the QB, or atleast put pressure on him to make a quick throw. Hopefully Frostee will be healthy this year, and could be that other speed rusher...