Military Draft....

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Afghanistan is a CONFLICT, not a war. We don't have enough troops to make it a war.

If we are going to be that specific then Iraq is not a war either. In fact the United States has not been at "war" since WWII ended. Only Congress has the power to declare war and that has not happened since 1941. Everything since then can be categorized as a "police action."

Afghanistan is a CONFLICT, not a war. We don't have enough troops to make it a war.

I think you are splitting hairs. I also think the soldiers and Marines fighting there would disagree with your classification.

I think you are splitting hairs. I also think the soldiers and Marines fighting there would disagree with your classification.

I am sure cops in L.A. would characterize their jobs similarly. We can loosely call it a "war" but when it comes down to it, from an official standpoint the last war we were involved in ended in 1945.

For the sake of agrument I am not being obstructive, merely attempting to obtain the proper nomenclature.

I am sure cops in L.A. would characterize their jobs similarly. We can loosely call it a "war" but when it comes down to it, from an official standpoint the last war we were involved in ended in 1945.

For the sake of agrument I am not being obstructive, merely attempting to obtain the proper nomenclature.

I think the term "war" has come to transcend the old notion of a conflict requiring a formal congressional declaration to be official. And the President himself keeps saying we are at war.

To all the people who responded to my first post, like I said, say what you want...Doesn't affect me either way. For those men and women who are over there fighting everyday, whether they believe in the "war" or not, I respect them more than any words could ever explain. It takes a special breed of man/woman to go to a foreign land and fight for what they believe in...Im not that special breed. In my humble opinion, it is WRONG to MAKE people go fight in a war, and this is the cause for my stance on the draft.

I mean NO disrespect WHATSOEVER to those who are over there fighting by voicing my opinion. I just don't think the Military is for everyone, and making indviduals who truly don't want to go participate in war is just wrong....

I think the term "war" has come to transcend the old notion of a conflict requiring a formal congressional declaration to be official. And the President himself keeps saying we are at war.

The President also has said things such as "the French don't have a word for 'entrepreneur'."

...I don't have a cat in the nomenclature fight, I just don't think it's ever wise to try and use G-dub as a verbal source.:lol:

Plus, I just had to take a shot... I haven't gotten to harass anyone from Male in far too long.:thumb:

To all the people who responded to my first post, like I said, say what you want...Doesn't affect me either way. For those men and women who are over there fighting everyday, whether they believe in the "war" or not, I respect them more than any words could ever explain. It takes a special breed of man/woman to go to a foreign land and fight for what they believe in...Im not that special breed. In my humble opinion, it is WRONG to MAKE people go fight in a war, and this is the cause for my stance on the draft.

I mean NO disrespect WHATSOEVER to those who are over there fighting by voicing my opinion. I just don't think the Military is for everyone, and making indviduals who truly don't want to go participate in war is just wrong....

Your 100% right the military is not for everyone. Thats why like 1% of the population serve currently.

Harsh. I can see you being dissappointed in that attitude, but I'd hardly think they deserve to serve jailtime because they don't want to fight a battle they don't believe in.

There are several HUUUGE differences between the war in Iraq and the world wars. We're not fighting for our freedoms in Iraq... we're fighting for THEIR freedom, supposedly.

If we were to hypothetically say that Canada suddenly felt the need to invade America for our land and wealth and beautiful women, then I can pretty much promise you that nobody would be willing to dodge that draft. There probably really WOULD be grandmas in Montana with a 12 gauge ready to do some guerrilla warfare.

For young men and woman to not want to be drafted to go fight a war for another country in the desert... well, can't say I blame them.

We are fighting for our economic and social interest within the Middle East. It is one thing to exercise democratic principles. It is entirely another to break the law by not accepting a call to duty. We have elected the decision makers in office. It is time to allow them to do their jobs. Your society becomes extremely weak when your population feels that it can pick and choose what, when, where, and why its duties lye.

We can call it what we want really, I was merely being specific. We have referred to just about every conflict that we have been involved in loosely as a war as far as I know. I am just being specific.

Thanks Deuce for your respect. (See my previous post #32) And my daughter would agree with you also...she doesn't want a soldier along side her that was MADE to be there. She IS a special breed and is more than happy to take on the responsibility of maintaining your freedom and attempting to keep the attacks on the U.S. from happening right here on our home soil! You are right, the military is not for everyone, but is perfect for some. You are experiencing the freedom to speak and act on your opinion. God Bless America!!

Thanks Deuce for your respect. (See my previous post #32) And my daughter would agree with you also...she doesn't want a soldier along side her that was MADE to be there. She IS a special breed and is more than happy to take on the responsibility of maintaining your freedom and attempting to keep the attacks on the U.S. from happening right here on our home soil! You are right, the military is not for everyone, but is perfect for some. You are experiencing the freedom to speak and act on your opinion. God Bless America!!

:thumb:

Im very thankful for those that the military is perfect for. The men and women that serve our country are true heroes.