Filipowski and Court Storming

Jumper_Dad

3 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

Seems unlikely that a fanbase would be able to get enough numbers in an opponent's home arena to make that happen.

Depending on the circumstance I don't think you would need many.  In this case I am suggesting Duke fans that came to the game as Wake fans to make sure exactly what happened, happened. 

Keep in mind many court stormings are spontaneous, say on a buzzer beater. PA announcers have made announcements before, but asking someone to make this announcement when the team is down in the closing seconds is a bit presumptuous. Again, make it a forfeit and I guarantee it’ll be a point of emphasis for universities. 

56 minutes ago, Tranquility Base said:

Fine the school, minimum, $1,000,000.   Then start using facial recognition software and start fining students.   $10,000 first offense, doubles each time after.

This is fine for big schools, but those without large endowment funds get hit on the equity front.

He clearly tried to push the first kid...

But, that doesn't negate the fact that court/field storming is stupid and shouldn't be allowed to happen. Fines aren't good enough, as they obviously don't deter people from doing it. Losing home games, or home games with no fans is what it will take, IMO. 

If it can't be completely prevented, I think the focus shouldn't be on keeping people off the court, it should be on protecting the opposing team. 

Assuming you think it is going to happen, have a group of 10-15 personnel gathered at the end of the opposing bench with a rope. The second the horn sounds, those people run on the court parallel to the visiting bench, creating sort of a lane for the opposing players to get off the court. Logistics would be different at every gym of course, but this is extremely doable in almost any circumstance. 

7 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

If it can't be completely prevented, I think the focus shouldn't be on keeping people off the court, it should be on protecting the opposing team. 

Assuming you think it is going to happen, have a group of 10-15 personnel gathered at the end of the opposing bench with a rope. The second the horn sounds, those people run on the court parallel to the visiting bench, creating sort of a lane for the opposing players to get off the court. Logistics would be different at every gym of course, but this is extremely doable in almost any circumstance. 

I do not disagree, but it is silly we have to go through this much work to protect players on the field/court of play.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bugatti said:

I do not disagree, but it is silly we have to go through this much work to protect players on the field/court of play.

Absolutely. The correct answer is making sure it doesn't happen, whatever that takes. Ultimately, the schools are responsible for crowd control. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I don't want to see coaches getting ridiculed for pulling players a few seconds before the end of game again. It's not bad sportsmanship, it's about player safety. 

And not just player safety in regards to injury, but also player safety from trying to keep one of the players from doing something stupid in a heated moment after a potential tough loss.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

It doesn't happen in the NFL, NBA or MLB because the ones storming in those situations go to jail. Or at the very least are detained and cited.

That and you also don't have a mob of hyped up 18-22 year olds feet from the court/field.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Absolutely. The correct answer is making sure it doesn't happen, whatever that takes. Ultimately, the schools are responsible for crowd control. 

Is the school responsible or is the venue?  Most arenas are not staffed by school employees.  They are outside management companies.  The school often has little authority at the venue.

There are 100 instances and we've had 2 cases of "injury".  In both cases, it appears the player contributed to it.  If Caitlin Clark stays with her team they walk off without an incident.  It sure looked like this guy acted out of panic or frustration.   

Threat of forfeit?  No way.  I'd play with a chicken wire barrier before I agreed to that.  

1 minute ago, REALSPORT said:

Is the school responsible or is the venue?  Most arenas are not staffed by school employees.  They are outside management companies.  The school often has little authority at the venue.

There are 100 instances and we've had 2 cases of "injury".  In both cases, it appears the player contributed to it.  If Caitlin Clark stays with her team they walk off without an incident.  It sure looked like this guy acted out of panic or frustration.   

Threat of forfeit?  No way.  I'd play with a chicken wire barrier before I agreed to that.  

The schools are the hosts, not the venues. Schools don't have authority at the venues they are playing their home games in? That seems like a problem itself. 

Let me be clear... I couldn't care less about the injuries. I think court and field storming is stupid, period. I don't have that opinion because people have gotten hurt, because generally they haven't. I do think it's playing with fire, and eventually something bad will happen. The nature of sports almost guarantees that.

10 minutes ago, REALSPORT said:

You raise a good question. I work UC and NKU basketball games, and I've worked a couple Xavier as well. I believe usually the venue is considered it's own entity, working often alongside the Athletic Department, but not exactly under it.