NKY Coaching Carousel

With 4 current NKY jobs open, it got me thinking of the landscape of the area.

It’s been a weird last few years for NKY coaching jobs with what feels like more turnover than normal, legends retiring, out of state coaches leaving after a few months, in state coaches leaving after 2 days, an older, but former in state coach coming back, a new school, hirings, firings, and resignations.

Is it me, or has this been a weird few years in NKY? 

What has been the most open jobs in NKY open at one time? 4 just right now, and would have been 5 had St. Henry waited a week or two, or Brossart would have made the decision a week or two earlier. 

Is turnover like this happening like this in areas across the state? Is NKY just getting unlucky? Is this more common nowadays, the new norm? Or am I just creating fake hysteria? 

Who are the longest tenured coaches in NKY? Who has the most turnover in the last decade? So many questions, I know, but I would love to hear any and all thoughts - NKY folks and beyond! 

1 minute ago, BBHCEAGLE said:

Would Harrison Co technically make it 5? Or are they not considered NKY?

As soon as I posted, I had the same question myself. Not sure if they are or not, I could be wrong but I don’t believe they are represented in the NKFCA, therefore I m assuming they are not considered NKY.

5 minutes ago, TheConch said:

As soon as I posted, I had the same question myself. Not sure if they are or not, I could be wrong but I don’t believe they are represented in the NKFCA, therefore I m assuming they are not considered NKY.

Regardless of whether they are in the NKFCA or not, no one in NKY considers Harrison County a part of NKY.  I mean no one. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, theguru said:

Regardless of whether they are in the NKFCA or not, no one in NKY considers Harrison County a part of NKY.  I mean no one. 

NKY is Boone, Kenton and Campbell  counties. End of story. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, theguru said:

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

NKY is Boone, Kenton and Campbell  counties. End of story. 

Hey hey hey, settle down! It was just a question asked and answered. But If they were represented in the NKFCA, were eligible to play in the East vs. West all star game, and have representatives at Top 26 banquet, they would be. Again, they aren’t, so it’s a nonstarter. 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

Exactly, I live in just about the center of Kenton County, which is also the center/middle county in Northern Kentucky, between Boone and Campbell.  Harrison County High School is 1 hour and 12 minutes away from my home according to Google.  For comparison sake, Harrison County High School is 41 minutes from Rupp Arena in downtown Lexington.

3 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

Exactly, I live in just about the center of Kenton County, which is also the center/middle county in Northern Kentucky, between Boone and Campbell.  Harrison County High School is 1 hour and 12 minutes away from my home according to Google.  For comparison sake, Harrison County High School is 41 minutes from Rupp Arena in downtown Lexington.

How long is it from your crib to Rupp?

2 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

Google Maps says 1hr and 14 minutes.  I'd say closer to an 1hr and 5 minutes.😉

Right, but the point is Harrison County and Rupp Arena are essentially equal distances away from your crib in the center of NKY.  

2 minutes ago, theguru said:

Right, but the point is Harrison County and Rupp Arena are essentially equal distances away from your crib in the center of NKY.  

Yes, neither are close to what we consider the center of Northern Kentucky. 

• Like 1

Harrison County is considered north central Ky. But, back in the day, they were in a district with NewCath and it was a killer. 

Paris is also north central. We (early 90's) were paired up with the NKY district of Beechwood, NewCath, Bellevue, Dayton & Lloyd Memorial. Never played Lloyd Memorial. Got the others. Never did get the Beechwood Tigers in the playoffs... Hergott, Berger, Huth, Lubrecht, Wulfeck...awful good football teams. They were state champs both years they beat us (93 & 94).  Mike Yeagle was ahead of his time. Only team we played who's formation didn't give a significant indication of his play call. He could attack a defense vertically and horizontally as well as anyone in his base formation. 

Stephen Lickert from Dayton was a stud. Charlie Coleman, Dan Ridder, Bob Schneider & Rudy Tassini were dang good football coaches. 

Northern Ky.... one year at Mason, we had played Bellevue early in the season and got our tails kicked. Went back to Newport later in the season. Officials say, "Coach, think you can give us a game tonight?" Lol

That is a great area for football. Mike Engler and Bob Sphire talked about it on our podcast. 

https://www.spreaker.com/user/frankfortbroadcast/coaches-office-with-coach-engler_1

https://www.spreaker.com/user/frankfortbroadcast/the-coaches-office-episode-4

13 hours ago, TheConch said:

With 4 current NKY jobs open, it got me thinking of the landscape of the area.

It’s been a weird last few years for NKY coaching jobs with what feels like more turnover than normal, legends retiring, out of state coaches leaving after a few months, in state coaches leaving after 2 days, an older, but former in state coach coming back, a new school, hirings, firings, and resignations.

Is it me, or has this been a weird few years in NKY? 

What has been the most open jobs in NKY open at one time? 4 just right now, and would have been 5 had St. Henry waited a week or two, or Brossart would have made the decision a week or two earlier. 

Is turnover like this happening like this in areas across the state? Is NKY just getting unlucky? Is this more common nowadays, the new norm? Or am I just creating fake hysteria? 

Who are the longest tenured coaches in NKY? Who has the most turnover in the last decade? So many questions, I know, but I would love to hear any and all thoughts - NKY folks and beyond! 

I would say that Randy Borchers of Cooper is the longest tenured coach at one school in NKY. I believe he began the program in 2008. Personally between time demands and changing student, player, and parent demands and attitudes, we will see fewer and fewer "lifers". I call today's players, parents, and fans "The ESPN generation". Instant success is expected, continued success is demanded, and personal accolades for players must constantly be recognized. Anyone know how long Jeff Barth has been at WV?

• Like 2