Open Job: Marshall County

Joe Tracy

I remember some teams Marshall field during the mid 80"s that were very tuff.. Line up in a wishbone and came right at you behind a big massive line. Very well coached can't remember the head man's name do recall he had Vanderbilt ties.  Do remember they play at home against St.X and only lost 28-0 in the semis one year. Some advantages of being the head coach at Marshall is it's a nice place to live. Program historically has money and you're living beside one of the best man made lakes in the world. What makes it tuff to win is you're playing team in your district and region that has way more speed than you do. Let's be honest most kids in Marshall County are not built that way. You will have some years with some speed but team speed has always been a issue with them.  

1 hour ago, tackle trap said:

I remember some teams Marshall field during the mid 80"s that were very tuff.. Line up in a wishbone and came right at you behind a big massive line. Very well coached can't remember the head man's name do recall he had Vanderbilt ties.  Do remember they play at home against St.X and only lost 28-0 in the semis one year. Some advantages of being the head coach at Marshall is it's a nice place to live. Program historically has money and you're living beside one of the best man made lakes in the world. What makes it tuff to win is you're playing team in your district and region that has way more speed than you do. Let's be honest most kids in Marshall County are not built that way. You will have some years with some speed but team speed has always been a issue with them.  

The head coach you speak of was a Mayfield and SEMO alum named Jim Shelton. He had a great staff - his DC / Strength Coach was a former OVC head coach and championship winning Coach Paul Brewester. It was 1995 when they played St. X. Coach Shelton also had another very successful run in 1999 with a kid at QB by the name of Gary Rockney.

Plenty of money, great location and community, but the kids there today are not built like the offensive and defensive lines you are referencing. Marshall played ball control in the bone and stiff defense. If the Marshals during the Shelton Era could score 21, they were probably gonna win!

• Like 1

This week’s tough topic comes from an elite leader/ coach, Chris Mason.

Think you might want to apply for the Marshall Co. HFC position? You better hear the tough topic, first!

The Coaches Office: Behind the Scenes of HS 🏈 w/ Chuck Smith & David Buchanan TH, 11/9 7:30 pm

image.thumb.png.f8b48e1774d397306249163cdfeddc8b.png 

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 9:24 AM, ChiefSmoke said:

That's a valid point. But, districts/classes can change. And, who knows, Marshall County gets going, they may surprise people at how good they are. 

Maybe I should have, but I never worried a whole lot about who we had to beat when taking a job. If the administration was all in on building a program and making that school, the very best it could be, that was good enough for me. 

Mason was in a district with Lloyd, Russell, and Newport. Even people very close to me said we would never beat those three. Got started in 1996 and those three were very strong. Beat all 3 in 1997. Had similar scenarios at Mercer as well. 

I know this, I would NEVER expect Chris Mason to lose. I stood with him on the sideline while Bullitt East defeated Male for a 6A state title in 2022.. which looked like an impossible feat just a few years ago. That guy knows how to build a championship football program.

Did the Danville - Bullitt East game in 1994 championship. Mike Egan was their coach and they were 2A. Danville, led by Sam Harp, got after them that day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, UKBaseball85 said:

Any type of confirmation out of this job? Open?

Not yet. Nothing on the KHSAA Open Jobs page or on the school district's employment opportunities page, and the district has posted new open jobs as recently as yesterday.

Coach Etheridge hasn't posted anything on Twitter since October 26th, but his account still lists him as "Head Football Coach at Marshall Co. High School (KY)".

• theguru locked this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

Have hear the Superintendent and Associate Super made a trip to central KY to watch a play off game on thanksgiving weekend or the weekend before.   For the first time ever, the superintendent and associate aren't home grown individuals and will go out and find some quality applicants and hire the best not the most popular.  IMO the hire at MCHS needs to be an established head coach who has experience rebuilding a program, changing the culture, and keeping the parents' and their opinons at bay.   

• Like 2

Going to be a tough rebuild; but a great opportunity to do so.  Years back, Marshall was loaded with talent.  A coach than can draw interest and get the athletes back on the football field can compete.  Tough district and class as a whole, but the numbers are there. Takes the right coach and right group of kids to want to buy in and change a program.  Good luck to whoever gets it. Western Kentucky football is more exciting when Marshall is good!

• 2 weeks later...