Open Job: Marshall County

Joe Tracy

I heard it was going to happen either way.  MC most likely gave the option.  Coach Etheridge did a good job keeping that program going.  It's a hard place to win at where there is lack of support.  I will tell you though, they have some huge kids in MS and youth system moving forward.  Good luck to Coach Etheridge as well. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TimeWillTell said:

Are they good in anything else? I just don’t see or hear about other sports dominating.

Track and Field.  In Region 1 3A they have been 2nd, 1st and 2nd in the past 3 meets.  They were 3rd in 3A at state 2 years ago with one of the best runners in the USA on their team.  To an extent not reflective to football, they were 5th and 6th in golf state the last 2 years.  Girls teams are very good too - track and bball (which I get is totally unrelated to football). But they do have good athletic programs at the school.

To add a little clarity to their track and field prowess, Class 3A is the biggest schools in the state.  Region 1 is Owensboro, Graves, Henderson, Marshall, Madisonville, Apollo, Davies’s, Hopkinsville,  Christian County, Muhlenburg County, and. McCracken.  That is a very solid track and field region.

• Like 1

Expect Marshall County to improve dramatically. Chris Mason, former Boyle County OC/OL, former Principal at Bullitt East HS(who put in place the structure for a 6A State Title) is now an Assistant Superintendent in the district. 

It will be a GREAT job and they are going to get much, much better. 

Chris knows his stuff and he will not accept anything less than exceptional support for HS Football from the district level. 

If I wasn't so happy at Anderson, and if I had a George Jetson vehicle, I would be begging to be the head football coach at Marshall County. Maybe can get a hover bus and play the Marshals some where in between one Friday night. 🚀

Georgia Tech on X: "Since George Jetson was born today ...

• Like 6

I am an alum of MCHS from the late 90s.  Marshall is a tough place to win.  The parents are a big problem.  Many of the guys I played with are now dads and let's say they sound like their daddys with unrealistic views of what it takes to win.   the key to success is in a place like marshall is discipline, toughness, and administration support.  I hope that Coach Mason will guide the process and change the support from administration for the program.  The key to success at marshall is a coach who will tell the parents to sit down shut up and an admin that will back them and allow the coach to do the necessary work to rebuild a program.   

• Like 4

No Politics Policy

Any mention, discussion, and media regarding politics or political figures is expressly prohibited on BluegrassPreps. This includes, but is not limited to the mention or names of any elected or publicly appointed officials, both domestic and foreign, by name, title, or by the offices held (e.g. - president, governor, chancellor, mayor, minister, senator, congressman, commissioner, attorney general, county clerk, magistrate, lawmaker, Beshear, Clinton, Lincoln, Merkel, Obama, Putin, Reagan, Roosevelt, Trudeau, Trump, etc). Any direct references or inferences to political terminology and activities, (e.g. - government, Democrat, Republican, GOP, White House, Capitol, General Assembly, conservative, liberal, campaign, lobby, legislature, bill, House Bill (HBxxx), Senate Bill (SBxxx), legislative process, filibuster, caucus, etc) and anything else deemed political in nature by the BGP staff is also prohibited from the site. Likewise, this also includes 3rd party links to articles that are political in name or in nature. Additionally, the use of names/nicknames deemed by the BGP staff as references to political figures (e.g. - Andy, Donald, Tricky Dick, Slick Willy) will not be permitted on BluegrassPreps.

Keeping in mind BGP's core purpose as a sports-discussion community, discussion of the the managing bodies specifically serving over high school, college, amateur, and professional sports leagues (KHSAA, NCAA, IOC, MLB, MLS, NBA, NFL et al), along with the officers, officials and the titles held by the individuals within those organizations is permitted on BGP. Similarly, high school and college/university administrators and officials, when discussed in a strictly non-political manner, are all permissible on BGP.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

Expect Marshall County to improve dramatically. Chris Mason, former Boyle County OC/OL, former Principal at Bullitt East HS(who put in place the structure for a 6A State Title) is now an Assistant Superintendent in the district. 

It will be a GREAT job and they are going to get much, much better. 

Chris knows his stuff and he will not accept anything less than exceptional support for HS Football from the district level. 

If I wasn't so happy at Anderson, and if I had a George Jetson vehicle, I would be begging to be the head football coach at Marshall County. Maybe can get a hover bus and play the Marshals some where in between one Friday night. 🚀

Georgia Tech on X: "Since George Jetson was born today ...

The Cross District will have a little to do with the possible success.  Not sure a first round playoff opportunity with a BG or SW will allow for much growth.  

11 hours ago, KingDeuce said:

The Cross District will have a little to do with the possible success.  Not sure a first round playoff opportunity with a BG or SW will allow for much growth.  

That's a valid point. But, districts/classes can change. And, who knows, Marshall County gets going, they may surprise people at how good they are. 

Maybe I should have, but I never worried a whole lot about who we had to beat when taking a job. If the administration was all in on building a program and making that school, the very best it could be, that was good enough for me. 

Mason was in a district with Lloyd, Russell, and Newport. Even people very close to me said we would never beat those three. Got started in 1996 and those three were very strong. Beat all 3 in 1997. Had similar scenarios at Mercer as well. 

I know this, I would NEVER expect Chris Mason to lose. I stood with him on the sideline while Bullitt East defeated Male for a 6A state title in 2022.. which looked like an impossible feat just a few years ago. That guy knows how to build a championship football program.

• Like 2

One thing that makes places like Marshall, or just any places where winning isn't the norm, is that it is really hard to build out a staff. You will absolutely find people who want to coach, that isn't the problem, but it is hard to find people who really know their stuff from a football perspective.

Marshall County will be just fine. They have an administrator who truly cares about football in Chris Mason. If they haven't had support before that is more than likely changing. Chris comes from a place that truly understands how important football is to school culture. If there is anyone who know what a good coach looks like it will be him. I expect them to make a great hire and show improvement pretty quickly. The last time he had a hand in the hiring of a football coach that particular coach shocked the world and won a 6A state title.

• Like 2