Grant County 53 Williamstown 34

2 minutes ago, Adrian Woj Burner said:

Bigger pool of kids does not always make a difference. Many A schools compete with 6a schools in basketball all the time. This means Williamstown and WV are more of a rivalry than GC and Williamstown? 

The only reason it’s a rivalry is because it’s the only two schools in the county. Bigger pool of kids would almost certainly make a difference. Even WV has a better pool, and bigger. But I certainly appreciate your take on it. 

21 minutes ago, StevnASmith said:

The only reason it’s a rivalry is because it’s the only two schools in the county. Bigger pool of kids would almost certainly make a difference. Even WV has a better pool, and bigger. But I certainly appreciate your take on it. 

So Henry County doesn’t have any rivalries in their district because they’re a bigger school? Their only one would be eminence because of them being in the same county, but I know they’ve had multiple big rivalry games with both Owen and Gallatin. 

Just now, Adrian Woj Burner said:

So Henry County doesn’t have any rivalries in their district because they’re a bigger school? Their only one would be eminence because of them being in the same county, but I know they’ve had multiple big rivalry games with both Owen and Gallatin. 

What about Walton and SK? Two completely different size schools, yet some of the best basketball in the tri-state every time they match up.

Ask SK coach and he will tell you they aren’t a rivalry when comparing the wins and losses. GC has dominated Williamstown for years and years. To me a rivalry is almost split with wins. Almost. But yes I agree with you, SK and WV makes for good basketball. But I don’t know if they are “rivals”. Good points you have. Good debate. But I’m sticking with my original “whine” lol and the refs showed favoritism and wouldn’t call obvious fouls. As for the Feagan kid getting heated after the dirty blow, can’t blame him. He actually responded by taking it to the kid drawing the foul and one. But it’s over and done. It was a good game mostly and Williamstown played extremely hard and actually looked like they wasn’t afraid and wanted it. 

I was there and came away with the utmost respect for the way Williamstown took it to Grant. As far as the officiating, I thought they were on the brink of losing control of it. They turned a blind eye to a lot of hacking. It seemed like they beat Wills up every time he had the ball in the lane. But over all not a big advantage either way. They were inconsistent all night long.

• Thanks 1

I, too, made the trip over to Warsaw last night, as is tradition for those who played in the rivalry on either end of the scorer’s table. It’s one of the two or three largest community gatherings each year and it’s always a good opportunity to catch up with folks you haven’t seen since the fair over the summer. These were my takeaways:

Hammond and Wills rebound like crazy. 31 between them against an undersized Demons front court.

WHS has some dudes, man. Those guys can go. They just couldn’t have thrown it in the ocean from a paddle boat last night. 0/20 from 3 on mostly good looks. 

Foul count WAS lopsided in favor of GC, even without the late fouls, but not nearly as lopsided as the battle of the boards. 

The January matchup is going to fill up the Demon Dome. I’m glad these teams are facing off twice per season again. That’s the way it should be. 

• Like 2

Grant dominated every category.  Grants defense held Williamstown to 34 and that was biggest difference.  Williamstown fouled a ton and yes I’m a grant fan for 15 years.  Only way Williamstown could compete was to foul. 

7 hours ago, StevnASmith said:

That Feagan kid was smacked in the balls on purpose by that Utter kid. He won’t back down. Always two sides to the story my friend. And how is it a rivalry when one school is four times bigger? Never mind being a few miles apart. 

Yeah and yours is wrong.GC kid was standing still.  Fagan came up to him chest bumped 2 times and pushed GC kid.  Absolutely dead ball foul on Williamstown.  

8 hours ago, SnottieDrippen said:

I, too, made the trip over to Warsaw last night, as is tradition for those who played in the rivalry on either end of the scorer’s table. It’s one of the two or three largest community gatherings each year and it’s always a good opportunity to catch up with folks you haven’t seen since the fair over the summer.

Hope you had a telescope. It would be hard to watch the game from Warsaw.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2