Western 120 Valley 20

3 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Clearly not a good Valley team but there's something humiliating about the number "100." I feel like the old Hoosiers "five passes before a shot" rule might have come in handy on a night like this.

Everybody touches the ball might be a thought. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

Valley has around 1,000 kids in the HS, they built the largest HS gym in Louisville a few years back, is this really the best team they can put together?

Maybe they need to rethink their scheduling policies for next year.

I don’t know much about Jefferson County schools with me being from eastern Kentucky, but do you think Jefferson’s Open Enrollment policy siphons off some of Valley’s middle school talent to other schools in the county? I spoke with a Louisville guy at the state tournament one year and he said that was a big problem in the county with some school sustaining the level of play to be competitive. 

I believe that many of Westerns players live in Valley’s district but chose Western.

That and the coach likes to get his name out there probably led to this score.

Valley definitely needs to up their game. A school that size has no business getting best like that.

• Like 2

Lots of issues at Valley.  They do lose a lot of their kids to other schools in the current student assignment plan.  JCPS new assignment plan may change some of that.  I'm sure families will find away around being locked into their home school.  It also didn't help that Valley's former coached stepped down before the season started and they didn't not have a coach hired when practice started.

First- kids are way more resilient than their parents.  Secondly- if they were pressing up 80, that is ridiculous. However, it’s pretty clear western played their backups a bunch. Those kids like to score and compete as well. I hate when kids who get limited chances are told “don’t play”. What’s the point of that?

• Like 1

On 12/7/2022 at 1:55 PM, 9068 said:

Wow..... even with a running clock??

That's the part that's frankly hard to fathom....when that becomes a running clock, the game moves FAST.

The clock becomes a running clock when the margin reaches 36....

That means you built the margin by 64 points in what is effectively usually about half the actual game time that the clock says is left to play.   That's mind-boggling.   You really have to work at it to make that happen.

Empty the bench, quit pressing, drop back into a simple 2-3 zone, don't trap, play the team managers (ok, just kidding on that one), don't run fast breaks, and require everyone to touch the ball in the half court before a shot goes up.   It's really pretty simple.    A 60 point win is a beatdown by a dominant team making a statement.   A 100 point win is just unnecessary and sends all the wrong messages to a lot of impressionable people who need good examples in their lives.

Sorry - there's really no way to justify this.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ColonelMike said:

That's the part that's frankly hard to fathom....when that becomes a running clock, the game moves FAST.

The clock becomes a running clock when the margin reaches 36....

That means you built the margin by 64 points in what is effectively usually about half the actual game time that the clock says is left to play.   That's mind-boggling.   You really have to work at it to make that happen.

Empty the bench, quit pressing, drop back into a simple 2-3 zone, don't trap, play the team managers (ok, just kidding on that one), don't run fast breaks, and require everyone to touch the ball in the half court before a shot goes up.   It's really pretty simple.    A 60 point win is a beatdown by a dominant team making a statement.   A 100 point win is just unnecessary and sends all the wrong messages to a lot of impressionable people who need good examples in their lives.

Sorry - there's really no way to justify this.  

We were involved in a girl's JV game years ago before the running clock. It was like 28-2 in the second quarter. Told our JV coach that the girls needed to make a minimum of 12 passes before shooting. Problem was the subs were hotter than a fire racker and still hit 5 or 6 threes. Wound up like 55-10 or so.