Another reason why a playoff is not all it is cracked up to be.

ladiesbballcoach

32 top BCS teams seeded. Week 1 (Thursday, Friday, Saturday games) 16 "bowl" games.

Week, 2 8 "bowl" games.

Week 3, 4 "Bowl" games.

Week 4, 2 "bowl" games.

And week 5 the National Title game. We still have a month of bowl games, but they matter. The team that's 33rd in the country doesn't have much chance anyway so the bubble teams will be bubble teams not contenders who had a few bad weeks. Teams out of weaker confernces actually have a chance. The BCS bowls will be the final 7(or 3) games and other playoff games will rotate among the other bowls. The bowls being left out of the playoff games can invite during years where they aren't involved. The 33rd and 34th best teams from the country will still get bowls. Teams like ND won't play in the BCS just to raise money.

Does this make perfect since to anyone else or is it just me? People say, "It isn't that easy," but IT IS THAT EASY!!!

And you just lost a huge amount of sponsorship and tv money that the universities and conferences count on.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You don't think a 16-team playoff would generate a huge amount of money? The only problem is that, as far as the BCS schools are concerned, that the NCAA would get their share of the cut. Frankly, as a fan, I couldn't care less who gets it, as long as there is a playoff.

LSU finished in a tie for 3rd place with Auburn in the SEC and lost their heads up meeting with the other 3rd place team Auburn, that's 4th place.

A 16 team playoff is what we need and if we have to laeve out teams that are 3rd or worse in their leagues, big deal.

Hmmm ... Florida's basketball team tied for the third-best record in the SEC last season, and it certainly didn't mean they weren't a national championship-caliber club.

Villanova finished fourth in the Big East in 1985. N.C. State was a middle-of-the-pack ACC team in 1983, barely making the field of 64.

Bottom line ... the best team at the end isn't always one that won its conference.

You don't think a 16-team playoff would generate a huge amount of money? The only problem is that, as far as the BCS schools are concerned, that the NCAA would get their share of the cut. Frankly, as a fan, I couldn't care less who gets it, as long as there is a playoff.

An article from another thread.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=jo-delany010507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Studies indicate the slightest step toward a playoff – seeding the teams in four BCS bowl games and pitting the two top-rated teams emerging from those games in the national championship – could generate another $50 million. But with a new system, Delany and the commissioners of the other BCS conferences could lose control of the knife that guarantees them a huge slice of the financial pie.

The so-called BCS conferences – which include the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and SEC – outnumber the less powerful conferences six to five. Thanks to that slim majority, the six conferences grant themselves automatic bids to the five BCS bowls and this year will take in more than three-quarters of the estimated $120 million the BCS will generate.

I am pretty sure that the six conferences did not receive this type of money from the NCAA basketball tournament.

And you just lost a huge amount of sponsorship and tv money that the universities and conferences count on.

Where and why? A playoff would lead to more viewers per bowl game. The other bowl games would still play and still get the following from the University which would lead to Sponsorships. I don't see money being lost in that format.

An article from another thread.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=jo-delany010507&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Studies indicate the slightest step toward a playoff – seeding the teams in four BCS bowl games and pitting the two top-rated teams emerging from those games in the national championship – could generate another $50 million. But with a new system, Delany and the commissioners of the other BCS conferences could lose control of the knife that guarantees them a huge slice of the financial pie.

The so-called BCS conferences – which include the ACC, Big East, Big Ten, Big 12, Pac-10 and SEC – outnumber the less powerful conferences six to five. Thanks to that slim majority, the six conferences grant themselves automatic bids to the five BCS bowls and this year will take in more than three-quarters of the estimated $120 million the BCS will generate.

I am pretty sure that the six conferences did not receive this type of money from the NCAA basketball tournament.

The money has direct ties to the conference that makes it and that's AWFUL IMO. Conflict of interest anyone?

Where and why? A playoff would lead to more viewers per bowl game. The other bowl games would still play and still get the following from the University which would lead to Sponsorships. I don't see money being lost in that format.

Post #19. Presently, the NCAA gets no share of the bowl money, $90 million to the 6 power conferences. With a playoff the NCAA gets a cut and the 6 power conferences won't be raking in so much money. The article is pretty informative.

Not on whether it is needed or not but the BIG $$$$$$$$$obstacle standing in a playoffs way.

And what will the uproar be for the 3rd place team of the SEC getting in and the team that beat them out being excluded. Uproar on the unfairness of the playoff system excluding teams like an Arkansas. Not much different than the present uproar.

Why should a team be penalized because it plays in a good conference? Let every team who deserves to be there according to the BCS, regardless of conference, get in. If that means there's 8 teams from the Big East, Big 12, SEC or ACC, then so be it.

The last point is a good one but the powers-to-be that decided the format of the BCS says it is and have included a 2-team per conference max. NO reason to think they wouldn't continue that onto a playoff.

You guys are making me repeat myself.:D

It's fine to live in a fantasy world here in Internet land, but when you have a serious discussion about something you have to look at the decision-making of the parties at hand. Which brings me back to the my post I have quoted here.

Hmmm ... Florida's basketball team tied for the third-best record in the SEC last season, and it certainly didn't mean they weren't a national championship-caliber club.

Villanova finished fourth in the Big East in 1985. N.C. State was a middle-of-the-pack ACC team in 1983, barely making the field of 64.

Bottom line ... the best team at the end isn't always a team that won its conference.

Bottom line .. you're comparing 30+ game seasons to 12 game seasons.

Bottom line ... the best team at the end isn't always one that won its conference.

Sorry, I thought we were talking about football. In basketball we have a 65 team format, of course we can allow 3rd , 4th , 5th, 6th place teams from the bigger leagues but a 64 team format in football ain't gonna work. And 8 teams is definitely not enough the next best bet is 16 teams.

Go to a 10 game season, then have a conference championship game.

Take the conference winners and at large teams to fill up 16 playoff slots.

Have a 4 week playoff with the National Title game at a neutral site. If you still want BCS games, have them in the quarterfinals or semi's at neutral sites with sponsorships.

Everyone else can go to bowls.

Teams in High School that make it to the finals play 15 games plus 2 scrimmages. NFL plays way more. I think college athletes can handle it.