Beechwood 32 Dixie Heights 8 (Frosh)

BrosefStalin

21 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

Serious question, does the Dixie Froshmore team get their own practice time or do they stand off to the side at varsity practices and get minimal reps?

From what I've heard from a few parents, the players get to pick where they want to play instead of being placed in positions by coaches. I haven't seen any games to see if that is truly what it looks like.  I've also been told the froshmore and JV teams aren't concerned about winning and losing, as it's about player development.  That is great and all, but if they're not in the correct positions, then it's a moot point.

2 hours ago, nees1212 said:

From what I've heard from a few parents, the players get to pick where they want to play instead of being placed in positions by coaches. I haven't seen any games to see if that is truly what it looks like.  I've also been told the froshmore and JV teams aren't concerned about winning and losing, as it's about player development.  That is great and all, but if they're not in the correct positions, then it's a moot point.

IMO only, player development is paramount to future of varsity programs. However, with that said, an emphasis on winning games has to be there or players will lose interest if just getting beat all the time. Losing is never fun and players lose the love of the game without having success and feeling the joy of winning games. 

3 hours ago, gbballfan21 said:

Serious question, does the Dixie Froshmore team get their own practice time or do they stand off to the side at varsity practices and get minimal reps?

With the caveat of completely understanding it's not easy to make assumptions about staffing, philosophies, and the inner workings of any team, watching Dixie's overall approach was perplexing. 

Like the varsity, they're attempting to run a fast paced/no huddle type offense. I've always thought that - especially at the freshman level - making that offense work is very difficult unless you ABSOLUTELY have the personnel to do so. Making it a package in your overall offense at that level, I'd get. Doing it and pushing it despite negative results and it clearly not working....doesn't make sense. 

If the staff was interested in player development, they'd get back to basics, run a vanilla offense and leave the "exotics" for a point in time when the basics were mastered. Felt bad for the kids last night..there's some talented kids on that roster that are getting lost in the system.

That said, my understanding is - as noted above - there's never really been a focus on building a core concentrated staff for freshmen there. Interestingly enough, I'm hearing that some other schools are doing the same thing....and it's not working to great. I don't get it. Freshman football should be about both development and trying to win games.

• Like 1