Texas Spent $280k on Arch Manning's Recruiting Visit

Walter

19 minutes ago, theguru said:

Big time college athletics is spiraling out of control with the money involved.  I wonder where we will be in five years. 

I'm certainly NO informed expert on any of this.  Just form opinions from what I hear and read but I think all the power conferences will splinter from the NCAA to form their own organization.  The NCAA will then be "everything else".  There could be more divisions created, god help us.  This of course would kill March Madness and goof up playoffs for college football, etc.

• Like 1

Just now, OlDog75 said:

I'm certainly NO informed expert on any of this.  Just form opinions from what I hear and read but I think all the power conferences will splinter from the NCAA to form their own organization.  The NCAA will then be "everything else".  There could be more divisions created, god help us.  This of course would kill March Madness and goof up playoffs for college football, etc.

All the evidence says otherwise. (Tons of media tweets about this yesterday, actually). There is no desire by the Power 5 to break away, in part because they don’t want to run all of the other events which the NCAA is really good at doing.

5 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Absurd, yes? Out of the norm? I honestly doubt it. The money boosters flow into their programs is wild. Also make me understand why recruits take every single possible official visit! 

Heck, if I got wined and dined like that, my young self would probably go to every one I could get.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OlDog75 said:

1 minute ago, gchs_uk9 said:

All the evidence says otherwise. (Tons of media tweets about this yesterday, actually). There is no desire by the Power 5 to break away, in part because they don’t want to run all of the other events which the NCAA is really good at doing.

gchs, that is what I would say too right now but once we get further down the road I am sure all the powers that be will reassess what is in their best interests and a quasi-professional league will have a lot of appeal and be very lucrative. 

1 minute ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I read a piece, albeit it's from January this year that kind of thinks differently if I read it correctly.     https://www.si.com/college/2022/01/20/ncaa-future-power-5-football-basketball-money

• Like 1

1 minute ago, theguru said:

What does it say?

It's a long article Guru, and again if I read it correctly, I think it kind of states what I posted.  Again, no expert here and it could be that my interpretation is different that what yours would be.

Just now, OlDog75 said:

It's a long article Guru, and again if I read it correctly, I think it kind of states what I posted.  Again, no expert here and it could be that my interpretation is different that what yours would be.

I skimmed it.  In short, the article says more changes are coming.

On tangent, I would like to see either the NFL or someone else get involved and start a 2nd tier professional football league for players just out of high school where they get paid big money and cut the colleges out.  The whole you have to stay three years thing is a joke and is nothing more than the rich and powerful taking advantage of young athletes.  Things will have to change. 

• Like 2