Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Coaching Change @ Cawood

Featured Replies

The word out of Harlan County is that Frank Smith has or is going to resign his post as head football coach. HDE, maybe you could shed some light on this.

  • Replies 103
  • Views 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Cawood have any young talent coming back?

As of this afternoon Cawood Principal Mike Ashurst had a press release that was to inform the media outlets that effective Jan. 8th football coach Frank Smith has resigned. The time table for a new coach was not given but there are some names that are out in the rumor mill.

Not sure who would want this job because it would be immediately terminated in a few seasons if not less with the new school being built.

Not sure who would want this job because it would be immediately terminated in a few seasons if not less with the new school being built.
I wonder if the person who takes the job could possibly end up on the Harlan Co. football staff?

I hear that some of the middle school coaches want to get a look and will apply if it is posted. If not, look for a proven assistant to get the job for one or two years until the opening of the new school.

The common saying around the area has been that the new school's coach would not be one of the current HC's at Cawood, Cumberland or Evarts, but I don't see why it has to be that way, or why the HC's couldn't at least be assistants, if that is what the new school wants.

This is really putting someone in a bad situation. They are going to have to ask someone to be the head coach for only a year. No matter how successful the new coach is, they know it is soon to be over. I played for Coach Smith, and think a lot of him, but I think this has been coming for some time, and, if so, he should have resigned a few seasons ago. I don't think his heart was in it anymore. The best solution, in my opinion, is to hire within. Dondi Noah may be the best person for the job. He has no prior head coaching experience, but knows the team better than anyone else. It is just unfair to ask someone to come in and be the coach. When Bo Callebs took over as coach, he was treated unfairly. He had no chance of staying more than a year. I just don't like the situation.

  • Author

If what I am hearing is correct, I think this will be a GREAT move for Cawood for its last year and for the new Harlan County High School whether he is an assistant or the head coach. I don't want to say his name because I don't think it is official but the word from where I live is that he will be named soon.

May already be a head coach somewhere that may be going back and will become the head coach when Harlan opens its doors.

  • Author

Interesting Tall Trees, you have me stumped on that one. The rumor mill in my neck of the woods say that the next coach at Cawood will be an assistant from another school.

Not sure who would want this job because it would be immediately terminated in a few seasons if not less with the new school being built.

 

You aren't looking at the big picture.

 

You could go a couple of different ways. You could hire the new Harlan County coach with a season to start the process at Cawood or hire someone who is going to be an assistant at Harlan County.

You aren't looking at the big picture.

 

You could go a couple of different ways. You could hire the new Harlan County coach with a season to start the process at Cawood or hire someone who is going to be an assistant at Harlan County.

:thumb:
You aren't looking at the big picture.

 

You could go a couple of different ways. You could hire the new Harlan County coach with a season to start the process at Cawood or hire someone who is going to be an assistant at Harlan County.

I agree :thumb: sorry about posting the same thing twice. I guess that is why I am a JV Player (LOL).

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.