Why do you Coach?

If you don't teach young kids to love, or even just like, the game, whatever game you're coaching, then the rest is just fluff.   And while you might disagree, "winning" has very little to do with loving the game.  In my opinion, it is misguided to believe winning is the only criteria for success as a young player and that factor, in and of itself, is what really causes kids to quit any sport.  Do you play to win?  Absolutely.  Every time, because that teaches the spirit of competition.  But if winning becomes the sole reason for participation, then disappointment, frustration and ultimately quitting end up being the result for many, if not most.  OR, you develop a culture of elitism that, if not properly guided and managed, creates a negative experience for even more players.  You compete to win.  But you teach to compete and handle whatever comes with that.  Just my opinion.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, bulldog77 said:

If you don't teach young kids to love, or even just like, the game, whatever game you're coaching, then the rest is just fluff.   And while you might disagree, "winning" has very little to do with loving the game.  In my opinion, it is misguided to believe winning is the only criteria for success as a young player and that factor, in and of itself, is what really causes kids to quit any sport.  Do you play to win?  Absolutely.  Every time, because that teaches the spirit of competition.  But if winning becomes the sole reason for participation, then disappointment, frustration and ultimately quitting end up being the result for many, if not most.  OR, you develop a culture of elitism that, if not properly guided and managed, creates a negative experience for even more players.  You compete to win.  But you teach to compete and handle whatever comes with that.  Just my opinion.

This is about as spot on as it gets. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bulldog77 said:

Very well said.

Different sport but I think I have the same takeaways as most of you.

Our wheelchair basketball team has 2 levels - prep (13U) and varsity.  

At the prep level, our coaches focus on kids having fun, everyone gets to play regardless of their ability, and focus is on player development.  We occasionally lose some games that we probably could win otherwise but it has also allowed some players to develop faster than they would have otherwise if they had just sat the bench.  At the varsity level, we treat it like able-bodied high school teams.  No guaranteed playing time and play to win the games.  I'm very confident our approach is the best.  Kids come in to a new sport often a little unsure of their abilities, learn to have fun and love the game then they are more likely to put the hard work in to become great.  Many teams in our league put a huge emphasis on winning prep games at the detriment of developing their players - one really strong player does all the ball handling, takes all the shots, etc.  Those teams have kicked our butt at the prep level but then we have a superior varsity team because all of our players have had a chance to develop and improve their skills.  It's much better to help kids develop a love of the game then the competitiveness and desire to work hard will come later.

• Like 1

At the youth level, have fun and develop all the kids you can. One of the best kids I have coached in high school came in as a freshman and we had no clue even what position the kid would play.  He fit no where on the field. As a junior and senior he was one of the best kids in the region and played college ball.  People get to focused on making sure kids are ready for the pros at age 7.  Here's the thing you can cut kids in grade 3 and they are gone forever. I started playing in 5th grade, played high school and college and now coach. If you want to get the kids extra work that is 100% fine but don't worry about being the league champ in 10 year old league.  Develop and send 20 kids onto 11 year old league and all the way up. 

• Like 2