Article About O.J. Mayo

http://www.wkyt.com/sports/headlines/4998556.html

I read a sentence or two in this article that SHOCKED me. Just wondering if any others find this article interesting, particularly the 16th region fans.

I read the article (I believe it is the same one that appeared in the Louisville Courier-Journal). I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I didn't see anything that was SHOCKING. I would think that you are referring to the use of the word "recruited" in the article. Obviously, the author didn't adhere to the rules of BGP when he wrote that line ....

Frances

I read a sentence or two in this article that SHOCKED me. Just wondering if any others find this article interesting, particularly the 16th region fans.

:thumb: I'll bet that I can name the couple (one inparticular) that jumps out to you. This is the same one that caught my attention :D :sssh: . I truly wish Mayo sucsess and he is an enormous talent. Imo the circus that has followed this kid through three states:eek: in a h.s. career has been a joke. I say this meaning all the so called coaches/adults that supposedly "had his best interest at heart":rolleyes:. Imo the only interest they had in mind was for their own advancement and proffit.

I read the article (I believe it is the same one that appeared in the Louisville Courier-Journal). I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I didn't see anything that was SHOCKING. I would think that you are referring to the use of the word "recruited" in the article. Obviously, the author didn't adhere to the rules of BGP when he wrote that line ....

Frances

:thumb: ;)

I will take the bait and assume that you have recovered from your "shock". What "sentence or two" effected your blood pressure? I assume it is the conclusion of the writer in which he, not Mayo, states that Mayo was "recruited" in the seventh grade to play basketball.

If this is the case, I will again point out that the writer is incorrect. Mayo came to Rose Hill as a sixth grader and did not play varsity basketball until he was in the seventh grade. As a sixth grader, Mayo played strictly middle school basketball. All of this has been hashed and rehashed over and over everywhere from ESPN to BGP.

By now, one would think that a writer could get the facts straight. But, then, if that were the case, there would be nothing to bring shock into the lives of our "neighbors" in the 16th Region.

I realize that it is probably an exercise in futility to clarify the story with facts but, after all, we wouldn't want any of Rose Hill's "neighbors" to be mislead when they are merely only "searching" for the truth.:thumb:

On the other hand, if you were shocked that Mayo wants to be a good role model to others, it is evidence that you don't know him. O.J. is a good young man and was a fine role model to the younger children while at Rose Hill. Now that he is freeing himself up from the influences that led him to problems in Cincinnati, he can, again, be himself.

I will take the bait and assume that you have recovered from your "shock". What "sentence or two" effected your blood pressure? I assume it is the conclusion of the writer in which he, not Mayo, states that Mayo was "recruited" in the seventh grade to play basketball.

If this is the case, I will again point out that the writer is incorrect. Mayo came to Rose Hill as a sixth grader and did not play varsity basketball until he was in the seventh grade. As a sixth grader, Mayo played strictly middle school basketball. All of this has been hashed and rehashed over and over everywhere from ESPN to BGP.

By now, one would think that a writer could get the facts straight. But, then, if that were the case, there would be nothing to bring shock into the lives of our "neighbors" in the 16th Region.

I realize that it is probably an exercise in futility to clarify the story with facts but, after all, we wouldn't want any of Rose Hill's "neighbors" to be mislead when they are merely only "searching" for the truth.:thumb:

Couldnt help but point out your comments from another thread....."We owe no one any further explanation of anything"......If this does not apply here then I apologize. Quite honestly I think you tend to rehash this more than others and certainly more than necessary. If you truly believe that you owe no further explanations then so be it. If you quick reacting so feverishly each time someone pokes at you, soon they will tire of poking.

Now, before you misconstrue my previous post in this thread.......I want to clarify that I agree that the writer was incorrect in his statement and should have chosen his words more wisely. I will be the first to say that if I were among those at Rose Hill I would certainly fire off a letter to Mr Raby to show my displeasure with his choice of words.

On the other hand, if you were shocked that Mayo wants to be a good role model to others, it is evidence that you don't know him. O.J. is a good young man and was a fine role model to the younger children while at Rose Hill. Now that he is freeing himself up from the influences that led him to problems in Cincinnati, he can, again, be himself.

Watching OJ do the post game interviews with our local TV sports has been very impressive. He has handled himself well and always gives credit to his team mates and is very humble with his answers. This kid has endured more criticism in his teenage years than most adults do their entire life. I think he has weathered the storm and I hope he has clear sailing for the rest of his career. The people in this area will never see a player like him again.

Couldnt help but point out your comments from another thread....."We owe no one any further explanation of anything"......If this does not apply here then I apologize. Quite honestly I think you tend to rehash this more than others and certainly more than necessary. If you truly believe that you owe no further explanations then so be it. If you quick reacting so feverishly each time someone pokes at you, soon they will tire of poking.

Now, before you misconstrue my previous post in this thread.......I want to clarify that I agree that the writer was incorrect in his statement and should have chosen his words more wisely. I will be the first to say that if I were among those at Rose Hill I would certainly fire off a letter to Mr Raby to show my displeasure with his choice of words.

I stand by my previous post that Rose Hill owes no further explanation or apology to anyone. However, when an allegedly factual story from an allegedly competent writer apears and said story "shocks" an allegedly sincere 16th Region observer and when the theme of the observer's "shock" is incorrect, I believe Rose Hillers must correct the errors.

It wasn't a matter of a writer not "choosing" his words carefully, it is a false statement. In the spirit of truth, it is important to point out such misinformation. That certainly has nothing to do with explanations or apologies because none are due and none will be forthcoming.

I assumed all of this had been made clear before but, hopefully, stripedshirt, you now understand the message.

I really didnt see anything shocking in this article. As a fan of the 16th region and in response to everything that has gone on at Rose Hill in the last 5 or 6 years, I dont see anything at all wrong with it. Was it all fair ? No, most likely not. Not to the public schools Rose Hill was playing at the time.Did Rose Hill do anything wrong ? No, not at all. Every school in the area would have taken OJ and his crew back then. Lets not try to act like our schools we support are above that. I think every coach in the area would have given his left arm for a kid of OJ's talent. Unfortunately for the public schools it couldnt happen, fortunately for Rose Hill it could and it did. I dont see anything wrong with it or shocking about it.

I really didnt see anything shocking in this article. As a fan of the 16th region and in response to everything that has gone on at Rose Hill in the last 5 or 6 years, I dont see anything at all wrong with it. Was it all fair ? No, most likely not. Not to the public schools Rose Hill was playing at the time.Did Rose Hill do anything wrong ? No, not at all. Every school in the area would have taken OJ and his crew back then. Lets not try to act like our schools we support are above that. I think every coach in the area would have given his left arm for a kid of OJ's talent. Unfortunately for the public schools it couldnt happen, fortunately for Rose Hill it could and it did. I dont see anything wrong with it or shocking about it.

:thumb: You made some good points here MBW. I do not want to get in with that whole "R" word debate on here with anyone. #1 it is not allowed, #2. I really don't care.:D :thumb:

I appreciate the posts of MBWC41 and oldrambler. It is past time to move on. I think you will find that most everyone at Rose Hill has moved from Mayo, Walker, et als. to the Euton, Jackson, et als.

We will remember the past fondly but we cannot live in it. Neverless, when the past is misstated, we must clarify.

I appreciate the posts of MBWC41 and oldrambler. It is past time to move on. I think you will find that most everyone at Rose Hill has moved from Mayo, Walker, et als. to the Euton, Jackson, et als.

We will remember the past fondly but we cannot live in it. Neverless, when the past is misstated, we must clarify.

Thank you scooter, I really don't condone and agree with the way things were dne but it is what it is and it's over and in the past.