Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Highlands vs. Bowling Green Predictions/Updates ***Upset Alert***

Who wins this game? 94 members have voted

  1. 1. Who wins this game?

This poll is closed to new votes

Poll closed on 08/21/2021 at 04:00 PM

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Featured Replies

2 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Not to mention saving thousands of dollars on travel, hotels, food, etc. and potentially causing a riff between players. Also, coaches and administrators would not have to deal with the headache of bed checks, lights out, etc. I totally get wanting make things special for the players, and that is important, but this seems like an unnecessary headache to me. 

I agree one major X Factor is the discipline of the Highlands football team.  This isn't summer camp and/or play time, this is a business trip.  With all that said, I trust Coach Sphire's judgement. 

  • Replies 335
  • Views 26.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Coaching.

  • I didn't put this little nugget of information together until right now.  Others may have thought of this once they saw Highlands (and Head Coach Bob Sphire) were playing Bowling Green.   Co

  • observerbynature
    observerbynature

    Regarding the travel conversation, I'll just say this.  If you look at the schedules from the Georgia schools that Sphire previously coached at, he's extremely familiar with a 3+ hour travel time for

Posted Images

I'd imagine they view this as a unique opportunity for the team, as KP alluded to. I definitely understand the sentiment behind the idea. 

1 hour ago, Bird Bath said:

That is correct!  The bulk of kids are going down Friday.  The younger kids, injured and new to the program are coming down Saturday. I am sure it is all about the cost; nothing more.  

Thanks for the verification. Seems odd, but I'm not making those decision thankfully.

Also of note for BG people, I just bought my RAFFERTY'S Bowl ticket and season ticket through the new APP they are using.

Easy process and seems like a pretty cool idea.  

On 8/16/2021 at 8:58 AM, Brown said:

BG a top defense - who will step up on the offensive side of the ball this year?  I'm sure they have some great athletes.  Birds, new coach.  I think BG will again play to its strength (defense) and will win the field position battle.

 

Purples 28-7

CalPreps agrees with me - 28-7 BG

  • Author
50 minutes ago, theguru said:

I agree one major X Factor is the discipline of the Highlands football team.  This isn't summer camp and/or play time, this is a business trip.  With all that said, I trust Coach Sphire's judgement. 

I agree.  This come down the night before thing is interesting.  One of the first comments on here about it was "why not do what everyone else would do....".  I think this is why Highlands hired Coach Sphire.  He isn't going to do it the way everyone else would.  He is going to do it his way.  The Highlands Way!  I applaud him for doing his thing. 

Honestly, I think the trip down does matter when it's this long of a trip.  And players don't play as well if you come down same day and play (just my opinion).  I've personally seen it in lacrosse as well. 

I think Coach Sphire sees it as a team building opportunity and I like it personally.  Yes, it costs alot, but the teams that "typically" win state championships aren't concerned about money.  They already have it.  Nice move Coach Sphire!

What does a high school football team do all day in Bowling Green while waiting to play the game?

23 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

I agree.  This come down the night before thing is interesting.  One of the first comments on here about it was "why not do what everyone else would do....".  I think this is why Highlands hired Coach Sphire.  He isn't going to do it the way everyone else would.  He is going to do it his way.  The Highlands Way!  I applaud him for doing his thing. 

Honestly, I think the trip down does matter when it's this long of a trip.  And players don't play as well if you come down same day and play (just my opinion).  I've personally seen it in lacrosse as well. 

I think Coach Sphire sees it as a team building opportunity and I like it personally.  Yes, it costs alot, but the teams that "typically" win state championships aren't concerned about money.  They already have it.  Nice move Coach Sphire!

Hold the phone on the why not do it like everyone else.  I was talking about Highlands teams that went down day of game and more often than not brought the trophy back.  This is NOT Highlands way, but you are correct it is Sphire’s way.  The optics of this are not good is all I will say and don’t believe that the money being spent is not an issue.

27 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

What does a high school football team do all day in Bowling Green while waiting to play the game?

Go visit WKU, and probably practice over there. Take a visit to the Corvette Museum, and if the Hot Rods are in town check out some minor league baseball with dinner across from the stadium at Mariah's!

1 minute ago, LongTimeReader said:

Go visit WKU, and probably practice over there. Take a visit to the Corvette Museum, and if the Hot Rods are in town check out some minor league baseball with dinner across from the stadium at Mariah's!

I wouldn't want to be out that much.  Maybe a walk through at WKU, high quality food, some meetings, and lots of rest where you get your mind right. 

20 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I am having a very hard time seeing the value in this overnight stay for Highlands.

Yeah, it does seem like a bit much. It feels like one of those situations that will be talked about regardless of the game's outcome. Win = "great move, Coach." Blow out loss = "What was Coach thinking?"

I have a little different take on it than most....

* Fewer players travel together = less chance of Covid outbreak

* New Coach; First game. "Bowl Game" feel. Comradery is a big thing in all sports but especially High School football.  Smaller group overnight = more time to mix and mingle with coaching staff and players.

* I think Highlands not only lost more games on the field than they are accustomed to recently, but also lost some cohesiveness between each other recently as well! 

* I think its a good move. Its not like they are going to do this every week.  Things are only a big deal if you make them a big deal. This first game for their Coach (players & fans included) is a big deal.

 

Just my two cents... 

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I wouldn't want to be out that much.  Maybe a walk through at WKU, high quality food, some meetings, and lots of rest where you get your mind right. 

I agree. Rest very important. Kids don't get enough rest since stay up late and get up early for school plus week of hard practice.

Sphire hasn't coached a game yet, and the Highlands faithful are already commenting on him not doing things "the Highlands way". Good luck coach.

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.