2021 BluegrassPreps.com Preseason Mr. Football Watchlist

Welcome to the first installment of the 2021 Mr. Football Watchlist. Last year saw some history made, as Beechwood's Cam Hergott shared the AP award with Frederick Douglass' Jager Burton, marking the first ever occurrence of co-Mr. Footballs. It was also the first time that a player known primarily for his work as an offensive lineman won the award. Hergott alone claimed the Kentucky Football Coaches Association's Mr. Football. History could be made again this year, as Hergott is back in Fort Mitchell after opting to take advantage of the Supplemental School Year Program and reclassifying to the Class of 2022, allowing him a shot at an unprecedented second Mr. Football award. Among the other contenders in this year's field: 

- A QB whose arm and legs give opponents a (red) devil of a time defending him.

- A receiver from the rapidly increasing list of FBS talents growing on "The Farm".

- A Pirate running back returning to terrorize opposing defenses.

- A pair of D-1 bound Male specimens eyeing a fourth straight trip to the state finals.

As has been the case in previous years, the names on the watchlist will be fluid from week to week. 

In alphabetical order:

Vinny Anthony (WR), Male

2020: 34 receptions for 539 yards and 8 touchdowns ; 1 kick return touchdown

Career: 69 receptions for 1,141 yards and 18 touchdowns

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2EsxV5 

One of the best pure athletes in Kentucky, doubling as one of the state's top ten hurdlers and high jumpers on the track and field scene. Being the top playmaker for a possible pre-season 6A #1 and a commitment to Wisconsin earns Anthony a spot here, but he most likely needs an uptick in offensive production from last year to remain in contention for this award. Dangerous kick returner and blocks well in the run game, something that's become a staple of Male receivers under Coach Wolfe.

Selah Brown (DL), Male

2020: 38 tackles with 12.5 TFL and 3 sacks ; 2 fumbles recovered

Career: 92 tackles with 27.5 TFL and 12 sacks ; 6 fumbles recovered 

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2EfHP7

A top five overall prospect in the state, with offers from UK, UofL, Stanford, Northwestern, and Purdue, among a host of others. Brown owns the interior like no other defensive lineman in Kentucky, but is also athletic enough to attack from the edge. Recorded 14 tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, and a sack in two games against Trinity last year and was one of the few players the Rocks saw all year that was equal to, or greater than, anyone on their roster. Like his teammate Anthony, he probably needs an uptick in production to stay in this conversation.

Xavier Brown (ATH), Lexington Christian Academy

2020: 85 carries for 449 yards and 8 touchdowns ; 45 receptions for 877 yards and 9 touchdowns 

Career: 282 carries for 1,798 yards and 30 touchdowns ; 92 receptions for 1,468 yards and 15 touchdowns ; 86 tackles ; 3 interceptions 

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2EScwx

Whether he's taking direct snaps or handoffs in the backfield or lined up in the slot or split out wide, Brown commands eyeballs everywhere he goes. He was LCA's most effective weapon in last year's 2A championship final, compiling 200 yards of total offense and two touchdowns against Beechwood. He's the quintessential all-purpose back, who may end up with over 2,000 career yards each, running and receiving. Recently committed to the University of Virginia.

Isaac Dixon (RB), Belfry

2020: 125 carries for 1,690 yards and 25 touchdowns ; 5 receptions for 172 yards and 3 touchdowns ; 1 kick return touchdown ; 1 scoop and score 

Career: 334 carries for 4,476 yards and 59 touchdowns ; 9 receiving touchdowns ; 4 kick return touchdowns ; 3 pick-six's

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2Efksn 

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water… Dixon's back to captain the pirate ship. His return immediately makes Belfry a strong contender in 3A. Displaying an uncanny knack for turning nothing into something, he averaged 13.5 yards per carry in 2020, which ranks sixth in KHSAA history for a single season. No one in 3A ran for more yards and touchdowns last year. Dixon could either play his way deep into Mr. Football contention in Belfry's first five games, or he could play his way out completely. The Pirates open with Pulaski County, CovCath, LCA, Central, and Pikeville. There's potentially a few eventual state champions in there.

Jagger Gillis (QB), Boyle County

2020: 118 of 169 (70%) for 2,037 yards and 25 touchdowns with 1 interception ; 415 yards rushing and 12 touchdowns

Career: 245 of 402 (61%) for 4,180 yards and 47 touchdowns with 10 interceptions ; 903 yards rushing and 22 touchdowns

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2EJYWE

Gillis returning to lead the defending 4A champion Rebels is not what the rest of that class wanted to see. Even without him, Boyle would have been right in the thick of another championship hunt. But with him, they might be back in the driver's seat. His lone interception of 2020 came on a deflected pass in the second game of the season. He maintained a clean sheet the rest of the way, tallying a 25 to 1 touchdown to interception ratio for the year. Bear in mind, his numbers were compiled in an abbreviated season where the Rebels were denied four games and seven of the eleven games they did play resulted in a running clock. The schedule is full this year, including spotlight games against LCA, Bowling Green, and Frederick Douglass.

Cam Hergott (QB), Beechwood

2020: 161 of 220 (73%) for 2,467 yards and 26 touchdowns with 6 interceptions ; 1,078 rushing yards and 15 touchdowns

Career: 441 of 673 (65%) for 6,214 yards and 65 touchdowns with 20 interceptions ; 2,376 yards rushing and 34 touchdowns

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2EvMs7 

How do you follow 3,500 yards of total offense, 41 touchdowns, a state championship, and being named Mr. Football? We're going to find out, as Hergott elected to return to Beechwood for another year. His right arm and legs bedeviled opposing defenses week in and week out last season. It must feel like a dream for Tiger fans, as his presence places Beechwood right back at the forefront of the 2A title picture. For his opponents, it must seem like a nightmare they can't wake up from, at least not for several more months. 

Dane Key (WR), Frederick Douglass

2020: 37 receptions for 625 yards and 11 touchdowns ; 1 kick return touchdown 

Career: 74 receptions for 1,216 yards and 21 touchdowns ; 5 kick return touchdowns

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2Epgce 

In its brief existence, FrederIck Douglass has been a breeding ground for the watchlist. Cam Jones, Demarco Fishback, Walker Parks, Dekel Crowdus, and last year's AP co-Mr. Football Jager Burton have all appeared on the watchlist to one degree or another. Key is the latest Bronco to make his mark here, and if you've seen him in action, you'll understand why. He's a prototype wideout, long and athletic with soft hands and excels at high pointing the football. 

JaWaun Northington (RB), Manual

2020: 72 carries for 589 yards and 9 touchdowns 

Career: 247 carries for 1,939 yards and 30 touchdowns 

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2EXQtt 

With Covid cancellations poking holes in Manual's schedule last year, Northington only saw action in five games, but he made every one count. He either topped the century mark, or came close on a short night's work and just a few carries. He enjoyed great success against every defense he encountered in 2020 and the Crimsons are hoping that carries over into this season. This year's schedule has blessed him with several Mr. Football spotlight games against the likes of Lou. Central, St. Xavier, Male, and Ohio powerhouse LaSalle.

Caden Veltkamp (QB), South Warren

2020: 99 of 168 (59%) for 1,324 yards and 17 touchdowns with 6 interceptions 

Career: 184 of 321 (57%) for 2,417 yards and 36 touchdowns with 9 interceptions 

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2Eice6

The last time we saw Veltkamp in uniform, he walked off his home field in defeat after throwing four interceptions against Bowling Green. Those four picks were twice the number he'd thrown on the season coming into that night, and the same number he'd thrown in his sophomore and junior seasons combined. He's surely eager to turn the page. And who can blame him when you consider what's ahead? The Spartans will be among the favorites in Class 5A, and Veltkamp is the field general of this Spartan army. He has size (6'5") and the arm strength and touch to make all the throws. He committed to Western Kentucky after weighing offers from several other FBS schools, including UK.

Gavin Wimsatt (QB), Owensboro

2020: 176 of 295 (59%) for 2,349 yards and 27 touchdowns with 12 interceptions ; 421 yards rushing and 6 touchdowns

Career: 374 of 661 (56%) for 5,116 yards and 59 touchdowns with 22 interceptions ; 977 yards rushing and 18 touchdowns

Highlights: http://www.hudl.com/v/2EtdZT 

Very likely the favorite for Mr. Football before Hergott announced his return. At worst, he's now a co-favorite. Wimsatt has all the physical tools to merit his position as a top 10 quarterback recruit, nationally. He chose Rutgers over the likes of Notre Dame, Michigan, Oregon, UK, and UofL. With him behind center the last two seasons, Owensboro is 24-3 with a semifinal appearance and state runner-up finish. If there's anything working against him, it's the graduation losses of his top skill guys. Nevertheless, Wimsatt alone makes the Red Devils a threat in 5A this season.

Expect to see these names on the watchlist at some point:

Grant Bingham (OL, Johnson Central) - The top offensive lineman in Kentucky and committed to the Cats. At 6'6" and 300+ pounds, he moves like someone a hundred pounds lighter.

Hunter Bradley (RB, McCracken County) - One of the state's top backs over the past two seasons, averaging 165 yards rushing per game during that time.

Joe Humphreys (QB, Daviess County) - Turned heads on the summer camp circuit. Averaged nearly 300 yards of total offense and four touchdowns per game in 2020.

Clint McKee (RB, Graves County) - One of the state's leading returning rushers. Ran for 100+ yards in every game last year, including twice against Owensboro.

Isaac McNamee (QB, Pikeville) - Already owns one championship ring and should be favored to win a second. He has weapons all around him.

Cole Pennington (QB, Sayre) - Clearly has the grooming and genes for this. Needs to get the better of McNamee and Pikeville to be taken seriously for Mr. Football. Committed to Marshall.

Kalib Perry (ATH, Great Crossing) - One of the most versatile all-around players in Kentucky. He's played QB and WR, led the team in rushing last year, and patrolled every inch of the field defensively. Committed to Tennessee.

Armon Tucker (RB, Trinity) - Should finally get the lion's share of the carries after splitting touches the last two seasons. He posted a school record 10.69 in the 100m during track season, so all he needs is a crease.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• theguru changed the title to 2021 BluegrassPreps.com Preseason Mr. Football Watchlist

Interesting to me that although NKY has had Mr. Football winners in each of the two years, but Hergott is the sole mention from NKY on the watchlist right now.

I'll also say, I think that's 100% correct. I don't see anyone else in NKY who clearly stands out as a major force in high school football enough to make the watchlist at this point. Maybe we'll see someone down the road, but right now, nope.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Interesting to me that although NKY has had Mr. Football winners in each of the two years, but Hergott is the sole mention from NKY on the watchlist right now.

I'll also say, I think that's 100% correct. I don't see anyone else in NKY who clearly stands out as a major force in high school football enough to make the watchlist at this point. Maybe we'll see someone down the road, but right now, nope.

Logan Landers Dixie and Chase Crone Simon Kenton. 

14 minutes ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

If Dixie has the type of season many think they're capable of, then Landers is definitely a name to file away for future reference. 

Crone, being a junior, isn't eligible this year.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DevilMayCare said:

If Dixie has the type of season many think they're capable of, then Landers is definitely a name to file away for future reference. 

Crone, being a junior, isn't eligible this year.

Once upon a time...back in 2014...the AP did select Pulaski County's Riley Hall as a junior finalist for the award. Caldwell County's Elijah Sindelar won it that year instead. Hall was a finalist again in 2015, losing out to Paintsville's Kash Daniel.

Up to this point, Hall is the only two-time finalist for the Mr. Football award. Beechwood's Cam Hergott has the opportunity to join him on that list now.

• Thanks 1

Just now, MaddenCurse44 said:

To compare Landers and Crone to the two quarterbacks who made the list of AP finalists last year, Clay Games and Cam Hergott, and the 3 quarterbacks on our watchlist additional to Hergott...

Cam Hergott, Beechwood 2020 (12 games played)
Passing: 161/220 (73.2%) for 2467 yards and 26 TDs. 6 Ints
Rushing: 140 carries for 1078 yards and 15 TDs. 7.7 yards per carry, avg.

Clay Games, Elizabethtown 2020 (13 games played)
Passing: 155/254 (61.0%) for 2526 yards and 31 TDs. 2 Ints
Rushing: 26 carries for 12 yards and 3 TDs. 0.5 yards per carry, avg.

Jagger Gillis, Boyle County 2020 (10 games played)
Passing: 118/169 (69.8%) for 2037 yards and 25 TDs. 1 Int
Rushing: 74 carries for 415 yards and 12 TDs. 5.6 yards per carry, avg.

Caden Veltkamp, South Warren 2020 (6 games played)
Passing: 99/168 (58.9%) for 1324 yards and 17 TDs. 6 Ints
Rushing: 17 carries for 22 yards and 2 TDs. 1.3 yards per carry, avg.

Gavin Wimsatt, Owensboro 2020 (11 games played)
Passing: 145/235 (61.7%) for 2070 yards and 25 TDs. 10 Ints
Rushing: 80 carries for 408 yards and 6 TDs. 5.1 yards per carry, avg.

Logan Landers, Dixie Heights 2020 (10 games played)
Passing: 144/233 (61.8%) for 1843 yards and 13 TDs. 9 Ints
Rushing: 91 carries for 409 yards and 7 TDs. 4.5 yards per carry, avg.

Chase Crone, Simon Kenton 2020 (10 games played)
Passing: 135/278 (48.6%) for 1832 yards and 12 TDs. 11 Ints
Rushing: 183 carries for 638 yards and 9 TDs. 3.5 yards per carry, avg.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Statsdontlie said:

I know he won't get many votes but Clayton Davis from Lincoln County will put up Mr. Football numbers this year. Kid is a player! 

Big fan of Clayton Davis. He exemplifies versatility like no other, leading Lincoln County in passing, rushing, and receiving last year. One of the least known great players in Kentucky this coming season. 

He could make an appearance or two on the watchlist throughout the season, but he's definitely a darkhorse as a true contender for the award.

• Like 1

Good stuff @DevilMayCare.

My thoughts - Wimsatt is the most gifted QB I've seen (which is why he is ranked top 10 nationally).  Since he was a sophomore, he can throw it 60 yards, tight spiral, beautiful passes.   He is effortless in his throws, so smooth, great mechanics - superb athlete.  

Key a phenomenal WR - man among boys.  Owensboro had an interception a time or 2, Key rips it away both times, and 1 time to the house.  I with he was teamed with Wimsatt!

Humphries - great QB, great stats, although playing behind most of the year gives him many chances.  Is a dual threat.  Great scrambler and speed.  Solid arm (not as good as Wimsatt though) and decent mechanics.  D1 offers.

Bradley - best power back I've seen in years with ANOTHER Senior season - beast and runs hard the entire game.

These 4 I've seen, I think the top 2 have a chance for Mr. Football, but both will be leaders in the running.

• Like 2

Outstanding work @DevilMayCare!

@Brown  the only negative for Wimsatt is he didn't pick UK.  This award is as much a popularity contest as anything.  If he had picked UK, I think this contest would over now.  Oh and he could throw it 60 as a Freshman.  I saw it.  He's the real deal.

One name I'd like to add to be considered on the "Expect to See these Names on the Watchlist at some Point":

Bowling Green Senior Nose Tackle Jeremiah Lightfoot (6'3" 315 lbs. - he added 25 pounds this off season).

2020 Stats - 73 tackles; 6 TFL and 6 Sacks and 1 INT.

Career - 86 tackles; 6 TFL and 7 Sacks and 1 INT.

He's a different player than Male's Brown, but he is a nightmare on that Purples DLine.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Purple88 said:

@Brown  the only negative for Wimsatt is he didn't pick UK.  This award is as much a popularity contest as anything.  If he had picked UK, I think this contest would over now.  Oh and he could throw it 60 as a Freshman.  I saw it.  He's the real deal.

One name I'd like to add to be considered on the "Expect to See these Names on the Watchlist at some Point":

Bowling Green Senior Nose Tackle Jeremiah Lightfoot (6'3" 315 lbs. - he added 25 pounds this off season).

2020 Stats - 73 tackles; 6 TFL and 6 Sacks and 1 INT.

Career - 86 tackles; 6 TFL and 7 Sacks and 1 INT.

He's a different player than Male's Brown, but he is a nightmare on that Purples DLine.

Kid was a stud last year- I sang his praises that D1 schools should be all over him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purple88 said:

I hear what you're saying. 13 of the 36 AP Mr. Football winners have had verbal commitments to Kentucky at the time they won the award. For comparison, only 5 have gone to Louisville, 2 went to Western, 1 went to Cumberlands, and now post-award, Hergott has given a verbal to EKU. (We'll see if he ends up at Eastern or not.)

Also interesting, 4 Mr. Football winners either changed their commitment away from Kentucky, or transferred out of Kentucky....and now Wan'Dale Robinson has transferred back to Kentucky after  initially committing to UK and then switching to Nebraska.

I don't know how much committing to Kentucky REALLY wins you AP votes or not, but it certainly seems like it sways things in your favor, to say the very least.

1986 – Frank Jacobs (Newport Central Catholic) – University of Notre Dame
1987 – Kurt Barber (Paducah Tilghman) – University of Southern California
1988 – Jeff Brohm (Trinity) – University of Louisville
1989 – Pookie Jones (Calloway County) – University of Kentucky
1990 – Damon Hood (Warren Central) – University of Kentucky
1991 – Scott Russell (Evarts) – Lees McRae College *
1992 – Billy Jack Haskins (Paducah Tilghman) – University of Kentucky *
1993 – Jeremy Simpson (Lincoln County) – University of The Cumberlands
1994 – Shaun Alexander (Boone County) – University of Alabama
1995 – Tim Couch (Leslie County) – University of Kentucky
1996 – Derek Homer (Fort Knox) – University of Kentucky
1997 – Dennis Johnson (Harrodsburg) - University of Kentucky
1998 – Jared Lorenzen (Highlands) - University of Kentucky
1999 – Travis Atwell (Hancock County) - University of Toledo *
2000 – Montrell Jones (Male) – University of Tennessee
2001 – Jeff Duggins (Boyle County) – Alfred State College
2002 – Michael Bush (Male) – University of Louisville
2003 – Brian Brohn (Trinity) – University of Louisville
2004 – Curtis Pulley (Hopkinsville) - University of Kentucky *
2005 – Micah Johnson (Fort Campbell) - University of Kentucky
2006 – Douglas Beaumont (Male) – University of Louisville
2007 – Corey Robinson (Lone Oak) – Troy University
2008 – Deuce Finch (St. Xavier) – Boston College
2009 – Antonio Andrews (Fort Campbell) – Western Kentucky University
2010 – Lamar Dawson (Boyle County) – University of Southern California
2011 – Pat Towles (Highlands) – University of Kentucky *
2012 – James Quick (Trinity) - University of Louisville
2013 – Nacarius Fant (Bowling Green) – Western Kentucky University
2014 – Elijah Sindelar (Caldwell County) – Purdue University
2015 – Kash Daniel (Paintsville) – University of Kentucky
2016 – Jamale Carothers (Bowling Green) – Navy
2017 – D’mauriae VanCleave (Danville) – Wofford College
2018 – Wan’Dale Robinson (Western Hills) – University of Kentucky *
2019 – Michael Mayer (Covington Catholic) – University of Notre Dame
2020 – Jager Burton (Frederick Douglass) – University of Kentucky
2020 – Cameron Hergott (Beechwood) – Not Committed

* Changed their commitment or transferred out of their first college.