Cal's post game comments

Can'tcoach

After the Florida loss Cal said he put Allen in with instructions to get him the ball.. Cal then said they didn't even look his way. He then promptly removed Allen from the game. Wouldn't you ordinarily remove the player who did not follow your instructions? By the way coach, this is not the first time Allen has been ignored. Since I can't coach, I need a feasible explanation from someone.

I haven't seen/heard the quote. But just a general statement.

Most coaches go by the adage "what are two things you excel at on the court." Allen's problem is aside from being wide open and shooting, Allen gives you very little. It could be argued most times on the court he is the worst, or one of the worst at all aspects of the game except spot up shooting. Not to mention the Allen stands think he should be playing 30 minutes a night.  I'm not saying he can't grow into the role, but since Cal is being accused of giving him a short leash, nobody is asking why? Allen hasn't shown much to me that his game has grown over the course of the year.

Florida played zone and negated UK's success. He inserted Allen and they went man-to-man immediately and I never saw him remotely open. Maybe that is the fault of other players? Calipari? Or Allen? Maybe all three?

The other issue is depth. Allen is a non-ball handling shooter. UK struggles - more than they already do - when both Mintz and Askew are sitting, so you put him in at three, off the ball. Mintz and Askew aren't exactly driving to the basket, so now you have three guys just passing it around the perimeter since Allen is unable to handle the rock and/or drive. 

4 minutes ago, bugatti said:

Most coaches go by the adage "what are two things you excel at on the court." Allen's problem is aside from being wide open and shooting, Allen gives you very little. It could be argued most times on the court he is the worst, or one of the worst at all aspects of the game except spot up shooting. Not to mention the Allen stands think he should be playing 30 minutes a night.  I'm not saying he can't grow into the role, but since Cal is being accused of giving him a short leash, nobody is asking why? Allen hasn't shown much to me that his game has grown over the course of the year.

Florida played zone and negated UK's success. He inserted Allen and they went man-to-man immediately and I never saw him remotely open. Maybe that is the fault of other players? Calipari? Or Allen? Maybe all three?

Even Cal has said his defense has improved. Hard to show what you can do in two or three possessions at a time. I never said Allen deserved 30 minutes a game. I challenge you to watch some replays and see how he is avoided by our point guard.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bugatti said:

The other issue is depth. Allen is a non-ball handling shooter. UK struggles - more than they already do - when both Mintz and Askew are sitting, so you put him in at three, off the ball. Mintz and Askew aren't exactly driving to the basket, so now you have three guys just passing it around the perimeter since Allen is unable to handle the rock and/or drive. 

How would you know that he is unable to dribble-drive? Has he been limited to shooting the three only? No, he's not a point guard but his ball skills are not as bad as some would have you believe.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bugatti said:

You summed up exactly how I feel.  Allen just isn't all that good right now.  He might be down the road with a summer of actual workouts, weightlifting and hopefully a better PG distributing but Allen has a ton of room for improvement, in all most all areas of his game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Can'tcoach said:

How would you know that he is unable to dribble-drive? Has he been limited to shooting the three only? No, he's not a point guard but his ball skills are not as bad as some would have you believe.

They are on the collegiate level.  He is one of the worst passers I think I've seen at UK for a guard/small forward.

He really doesn't even move well without the ball.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Can'tcoach said:

Even Cal has said his defense has improved. Hard to show what you can do in two or three possessions at a time. I never said Allen deserved 30 minutes a game. I challenge you to watch some replays and see how he is avoided by our point guard.

I'm not going to argue Calipari has a short leash with players. I have been critical of that with him for years, but that is not unique to Allen. "Avoided" insinuates there is something more deep there when in reality Askew is not all that good at getting anyone the ball unless it is safe with little-to-no risk. Hence why UK sits stagnant. That is not Allen's fault, obviously. Sometimes the mix isn't all there.

12 minutes ago, Can'tcoach said:

He's not avoided.  Askew just isn't that good.

I do think if there was just about any other former Cal PG on this roster instead of Askew (hell maybe even Harrow) then Allen would look a little better out there.  But Askew just doesn't create well for others and Allen can't create well for himself.  Bad recipie for Allen.  It's not that Askew is avoiding or annoying him.  Askew just isn't that good at this point at seeing the floor and/or creating.

And before you say something about, well bench Askew.  Cal doesn't really have any other option because he needs and wants to play Mintz off the ball.

8 minutes ago, Can'tcoach said:

My only evidence is every minute I have watched him play in college. Maybe he has the skills and only shows them off in practice and Calipari refuses to give him a shot for reasons nobody knows? Unlikely, but it is plausible. I guess a better question is, what evidence do we have he is able to dribble-drive aside from what he was doing in high school (which doesn't count).

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

He's not avoided.  Askew just isn't that good.

I do think if there was just about any other former Cal PG on this roster instead of Askew (hell maybe even Harrow) then Allen would look a little better out there.  But Askew just doesn't create well for others and Allen can't create well for himself.  Bad recipie for Allen.  It's not that Askew is avoiding or annoying him.  Askew just isn't that good at this point at seeing the floor and/or creating.

And before you say something about, well bench Askew.  Cal doesn't really have any other option because he needs and wants to play Mintz off the ball.

Exactly.

• Like 1

You can make faces all you want @nikeman49 but when it comes down to it, Allen just really only does one thing well right now and that's stand still and shoot.

I think he will add quite a bit more to his game, even going into next year, but right now, he just isn't that good and if he wasn't from KY, no one would be begging for him to get more time.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

You can make faces all you want @nikeman49 but when it comes down to it, Allen just really only does one thing well right now and that's stand still and shoot.

I think he will add quite a bit more to his game, even going into next year, but right now, he just isn't that good and if he wasn't from KY, no one would be begging for him to get more time.

I can’t wait until he leaves Ky and lands in a program that stresses fundamental play, looks like a 8-15 program would be playing to improve the skills lacking with certain players and not jerking them around after one mistake or one minute. Cal has exposed all of his coaching weaknesses this season and unless he can get players that will hide those flaws, things shall remain the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nikeman49 said:

I can’t wait until he leaves Ky and lands in a program that stresses fundamental play, looks like a 8-15 program would be playing to improve the skills lacking with certain players and not jerking them around after one mistake or one minute. Cal has exposed all of his coaching weaknesses this season and unless he can get players that will hide those flaws, things shall remain the same.

Unfortunately I think your dead on