Lyon County

Can anyone in the Second Region stop them? They have a great team and are playing well. Will see if experience coaching will get them out of the region as there are some great coaches in the Second Region. Perry has all the Aces but is limited in his coaching career as he has been an AAU coach. Will see how this plays out when the big boys get to the region!

• theguru changed the title to Lyon County

Can Lyon win it? Sure, why not. But this team hasn’t played Madisonville or Hopkinsville. They beat a mid-tier University Heights club by two at home. Until I see otherwise, my pick for second region winner will always come from District 7 or District 8.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Unrivaled97 said:

In 2 years, they’ll be a legit final four contender.  Their best days are ahead of them.

Always about the draw not so much the team. You can say that but then they could draw Region 6 or 7 in round one and then it’s lights out. 

6 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Can Lyon win it? Sure, why not. But this team hasn’t played Madisonville or Hopkinsville. They beat a mid-tier University Heights club by two at home. Until I see otherwise, my pick for second region winner will always come from District 7 or District 8.

Not sure I'd pick for or against Lyon to win the 2nd right now....but I'm wondering if those singing the Lions' praises aren't a year early, perhaps.

A 4-3 record in their last 7 games with losses against teams ranked #41, #56, and #62 in the RPI isn't really overly inspiring for Top 20 consideration.

That said, I don't want it to be said that I'm dumping on the Lions.    I think they're a tremendous team - but I tend to agree with where I think gchs_uk9 is going.   I think their best days may be next year or the year after.

Even so, that doesn't mean they won't win their region this year.

I'm going to be closely watching Lyon County's progress this year.   Wish I could see them in person.....

CM

7 hours ago, WKY_Football said:

Always about the draw not so much the team. You can say that but then they could draw Region 6 or 7 in round one and then it’s lights out. 

There are always factors outside of a team’s control like draws, injuries, etc.  Ask the 92-93 Hoosiers basketball about that.  Anyway, I saw this group of freshmen a few years back at MS state.  They played most of the best the state had to offer & they ran them out of the gym.  Nobody came within 25 of them, most wins were 40+ & if I recall correctly, they dropped 90 in a pool play game.  I think most of them stayed together.  I do believe they are a final four contender in 2 years, even if they draw 6th, 7th or 9th region early.  Only time will tell.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Unrivaled97 said:

There are always factors outside of a team’s control like draws, injuries, etc.  Ask the 92-93 Hoosiers basketball about that.  Anyway, I saw this group of freshmen a few years back at MS state.  They played most of the best the state had to offer & they ran them out of the gym.  Nobody came within 25 of them, most wins were 40+ & if I recall correctly, they dropped 90 in a pool play game.  I think most of them stayed together.  I do believe they are a final four contender in 2 years, even if they draw 6th, 7th or 9th region early.  Only time will tell.

What is MS state?  I saw this team in a state AAU tournament in Lexington as 6th graders, same result - as you say, they ran everyone out of the gym.  One score I remember was 83-17.  At that time, several of those kids were simply physically advanced.  Now, folks automatically and cynically assume they've been held back at least a year and more likely two.  Was that it?  Or were they simply just a group of kids that matured physically earlier than most?  Could be either, I've seen both instances plenty of times.  But either answer usually leads to the same outcome:  within a few short years, those physical advantages begin to dwindle.  Whether you were 14 years old competing with 12 year olds or you were 12 years old and just looked 14......by the time the kids are all 17, those physical advantages are mostly gone.  And very often, the 12 year old pip squeak is now bigger and stronger than that kid who towered over him a few years before.  I saw Travis Perry a couple of years later, and his physical advantage was gone, mostly.  Now, he's still a good player.  But the margin between he and others was already shrinking.  All of that to say this:  maybe this group is out of the ordinary, but if not, I expect them to come back to the pack more and more each year.

2 hours ago, Mojocat said:

What is MS state?  I saw this team in a state AAU tournament in Lexington as 6th graders, same result - as you say, they ran everyone out of the gym.  One score I remember was 83-17.  At that time, several of those kids were simply physically advanced.  Now, folks automatically and cynically assume they've been held back at least a year and more likely two.  Was that it?  Or were they simply just a group of kids that matured physically earlier than most?  Could be either, I've seen both instances plenty of times.  But either answer usually leads to the same outcome:  within a few short years, those physical advantages begin to dwindle.  Whether you were 14 years old competing with 12 year olds or you were 12 years old and just looked 14......by the time the kids are all 17, those physical advantages are mostly gone.  And very often, the 12 year old pip squeak is now bigger and stronger than that kid who towered over him a few years before.  I saw Travis Perry a couple of years later, and his physical advantage was gone, mostly.  Now, he's still a good player.  But the margin between he and others was already shrinking.  All of that to say this:  maybe this group is out of the ordinary, but if not, I expect them to come back to the pack more and more each year.

Every year in Lexington, sans COVID, they host 6th, 7th & 8th grade MS state on different weekends in January & February.  It's open to all school teams.  There's usually anywhere from 60-90 MS teams that go compete at each grade level.  You don't see a whole lot of Western or Northern KY teams there, but the rest of the state is fairly well represented.  They are legit MS school teams as well, not AAU teams.  This freshman group won it as 6th graders, but that was the only year they came b/c some of them started playing varsity as 7th graders.  Meyzeek won it the following year as 7th graders (Ballard, CAL, Trinity & Manual are where most of their kids went) & then Harrison Co. as 8th graders.  I get what you're saying about physical development, etc.  It happens at different stages for all kids.  What was odd was it wasn't like this team was taller and bigger than everyone else then.  They were just better basketball players in general; more fundamentally sound and seem to have higher basketball I.Q.s overall.  This group has been together for a while now and that helps.  Throw in the skill level, fundamentals, and so on and by the time they are juniors and seniors, I think you're looking at a pretty competitive and final four worthy team.  Again, I guess we'll see in the next 2 or 3 years.

• Like 1