Newport Central Catholic 79 Holy Cross 76

Holy Cross took a 5 game winning streak, including a recent big time win over the Beechwood Tigers, up to the Hill at Newport Central Catholic, and The Breds determined to put a freeze on that streak, did exactly that.  

In a tight game that was mostly back and forth, IMO Holy Cross didn’t look to be the same Indians as of late, and didn’t do a good job containing Joel Isles, or find ways to get their own sharp shooter Blake Robinson many open looks. 

Holy Cross was leading at the end of the 1st quarter 17-16

It still stayed close with NCC taking a slim lead into halftime, 38-37

Third period saw Joel Isles for The Breds catch fire, and the quarter ended with NCC up 56-50

The 4th period saw Holy Cross served with two T’s, first Jacob Meyer hanging on the rim after a missed dunk attempt that he really should’ve connected on, and then Ward clapping in the face of Geisler from NCC after he fouled him at a 3 point attempt sending Ward to the line for 3. 

Baggett for NewCath missed his first 4 foul shots of the night only to make his last 4 in clutch fashion that helped the Breds secure the win, and it was so very welcome as Joel Isles with a 90+ foul shooting percentage missed about 4 of his charity striped attempts down the stretch. 

Also in unusual fashion, Jacob Meyer with an attempt to tie the game with only seconds remaining on the clock missed two straight foul shots of his own. 

All in all it was a great game, and an upset for the Breds, but the Indians will have to rethink some of their game plan in my opinion because they very much could’ve won this game if they had approached it much differently. Kind of puzzling to me why they didn’t.

Isles for NewCath ended the night with 28, Baggett and Butts with 14 apiece. 

Holy Cross saw Meyer netting 26, and McClendon with 14. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Great recap b-ball-fan. Also great game to watch/listen to. 859sportsradio/Mark Wehry did a great job as usual. Got even better with the guest pairing of Terry Niehaus from HC Sports Radio sitting in. Thanks guys!

Big key of game to me was HC Dylan Arlinghaus in foul trouble whole game. Haven’t seen final stats, but felt like HC just couldn’t establish real control on the boards. Hicks needs help down low. If he gets that, this team will make a deep run. But if NCC could hit foul shots, this game was about 10 pts IMO. Good luck to both wrapping up season heading into Districts. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bird Bath said:

Is Pangallo playing?  Out, hurt,  I haven’t seen him in a box?

My understanding is that he's out for the season due to an operation that he needed to have on his hips. If I'm not exactly right about this, perhaps a NewCath faithful could help to better answer this question. 

• Thanks 1