Taxi Driver

51 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I watched Taxi Driver with Robert De Niro for the first time the other night and I honestly expected more from how much I had always heard about it.

I watched it for the first time 6 months ago or so and felt the exact same way.

• Like 1

Definitely a psychological film. I like it a lot, but in part because the decline of New York City during the 1970s has always been fascinating to me, and movies from that era and location do a good job of capturing the desolation. It bogs down too much with the political campaign but on the whole a good movie.

By the way, if you are like me and like the era and sports (hey, its BGP), check out The Bronx is Burning by Jonathan Mahler. Tremendous book about the collapse of New York City, the Son of Sam, and the 1977 Yankees/Reggie Jackson.

Image result for the bronx is burning book

• 3 weeks later...

The movie that propelled Scorsese and DeNiro to superstardom.                                     
DeNiro had won Best Supporting Actor for The Godfather Part II two years earlier in a non-English speaking role, but this is where he showed off his acting skills. He lost 35 pounds and drove a taxi cab for a few months to prepare for the role.                          
Scorsece used New York as a character as much as any of the actors. A brilliant character study that is definitely not for everyone.                                                           
The final sequence is still being debated as to whether it was real or Travis dreamed it.