Trucks

Kenny Powers

I am currently in the market for a new car and I am looking at getting a truck. The GMC Sierra 1500 Double Cab and the Toyota CrewMax are the two that I am really eying right now. Does anyone have any experience with these two? Or any other recommendations? I am also looking for used dealership recommendations as I don't believe buying new cars is smart financial move. 

6 hours ago, theguru said:

Toyota's are great but I prefer to buy American and I like the GMC better anyway.

"Buy American", I don't know Guru.  Nowadays, the engines are made in one country, tranny in another, different parts different countries.  "American" auto companies with factories outside USA, Toyota, Honda, etc., with factories in USA.  What does "American" really mean any more?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, OlDog75 said:

"Buy American", I don't know Guru.  Nowadays, the engines are made in one country, tranny in another, different parts different countries.  "American" auto companies with factories outside USA, Toyota, Honda, etc., with factories in USA.  What does "American" really mean any more?

I will take my chances on GMC over Toyota.

Tundras are 70 to 75% built in the USA.

Sierras are in the 40% range. The least of all full size trucks.

As for which one, my choice would be the Tundra. The crew max is hopefully my next purchase, and if not, at least a double cab. I’m a Toyota snob. We’ve had a Camry, a few Tacoma’s, a 4Runner, a Tundra, a Sienna, and a Sequoia. They just don’t have issues. 

If gas prices go back up, the price of them will come down. About 6 years ago, my dad bought a 2008 tundra with 40k for $18k. Today, you’ll pay over $25k for the same truck.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nees1212 said:

Tundras are 70 to 75% built in the USA.

Sierras are in the 40% range. The least of all full size trucks.

As for which one, my choice would be the Tundra. The crew max is hopefully my next purchase, and if not, at least a double cab. I’m a Toyota snob. We’ve had a Camry, a few Tacoma’s, a 4Runner, a Tundra, a Sienna, and a Sequoia. They just don’t have issues. 

If gas prices go back up, the price of them will come down. About 6 years ago, my dad bought a 2008 tundra with 40k for $18k. Today, you’ll pay over $25k for the same truck.

Gas is certainly going up.  We will feel some of it this year but in the next few years the number at the pump could be a $3 again.

11 hours ago, John Anthony said:

Toyota’s last forever and have really high resell value on the Tacoma and Tundra.

That is the direction I am leaning. Unfortunately , the high retention on value is hurting the pocket book right now but I think in the longterm it will be the best choice. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

That is the direction I am leaning. Unfortunately , the high retention on value is hurting the pocket book right now but I think in the longterm it will be the best choice. 

I bought a Tacoma two years ago and have loved it. It wasn't brand new but was really close. I spent a little more but my logic was it will last a long time (my son is 9 so it might get passed to him or I can keep it) or the resell value remains high (so I can sell if I want something new/different). Tried to make it where I win either way. So far, so good.

1 minute ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I bought a Tacoma two years ago and have loved it. It wasn't brand new but was really close. I spent a little more but my logic was it will last a long time (my son is 9 so it might get passed to him or I can keep it) or the resell value remains high (so I can see if I want something new). Tried to make it where I win either way. So far, so good.

Makes perfect sense. I will be going the certified used route regardless so that doesn't bother me.