Questionable call?

During the overtime game between Conner and Cooper, there was a questionable call.  Cooper made a basket so Conner was inbounding the ball.  The initial player taking the ball out could not get the ball in so a second Conner player stepped out of bounds, received the ball from the inbounder.  The Cooper defender followed Conner player our of bounds.  What is the call?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Defense_Wins_Games said:

During the overtime game between Conner and Cooper, there was a questionable call.  Cooper made a basket so Conner was inbounding the ball.  The initial player taking the ball out could not get the ball in so a second Conner player stepped out of bounds, received the ball from the inbounder.  The Cooper defender followed Conner player our of bounds.  What is the call?

I could be wrong but it's like slapping the ball out of the in bounders hand.  So I think a warning is issued then if it happens again I think it's a tech.  Again, I could be wrong.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Coach34 said:

I could be wrong but it's like slapping the ball out of the in bounders hand.  So I think a warning is issued then if it happens again I think it's a tech.  Again, I could be wrong.

I think slapping the ball is an automatic tech with no warning. The defender intentionally running out of bounds would be a whistle and warning.

4 hours ago, Defense_Wins_Games said:

I think the key here is did the Cooper defender make contact with the Conner player when she had the ball out of bounds?  If so, I would think automatic technical.  If contact was not made, a warning given, and Conner's ball at the spot.  

I think its a judgement call on if they issue a tech or a warning.  If there was intent to touch the player then yes a tech.  That play is designed to make you not think about going out of bounds but guarding the girl so she doesn't get the ball.  A 5 second call is ludicrous IMO!  Worst case its a stoppage and a warning issued then they try to inbound it again.

Unless the defensive player touched the offensive player it's either a warning or a play on. Contact could, imo, warrant a T, but a warning might be more appropriate. Don't believe there's anything illegal about playing defense O.B., but it is a foul for a defensive player to be simultaneously making contact with the boundary and an offensive player, however minor or incidental you deem the contact with the player with the ball. 

I'm happy to be corrected on this. 

24 minutes ago, SnottieDrippen said:

Unless the defensive player touched the offensive player it's either a warning or a play on. Contact could, imo, warrant a T, but a warning might be more appropriate. Don't believe there's anything illegal about playing defense O.B., but it is a foul for a defensive player to be simultaneously making contact with the boundary and an offensive player, however minor or incidental you deem the contact with the player with the ball. 

I'm happy to be corrected on this. 

This is my thinking.  I feel as though the offensive player went out of bounds, that does not prevent the defender from guarding them.  However, I do feel that if the defender touched the pass at any point or was still over the line while the offensive player received the pass, that might be another issue.  Pretty sure my high school coach once told me, "I don't care if he goes to the bathroom, you go with him", certainly if you can go there you can follow them out of bounds????????

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Defense_Wins_Games said:

I went back and watched the tape.  The defender was making contact with the player who went out of bounds to receive the ball and made contact until she caught the ball and then backed up to be inbounds.  the defender never made contact with the ball. 

I say Technical foul. Now if the ball was already in bounds, it would be a violation on the offense for an intentional cut out of bounds.