Paintsville vs. Newport Central Catholic Predictions/Updates (1A Semifinals)

Bac2369

Who wins this matchup?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins this matchup?

• Paintsville
    • Newport Central Catholic

This poll is closed to new votes

Paintsville got a dominating performance from both lines of scrimmages in the Hazard game as they cruised to a 39-7 victory in running clock fashion.They held the bulldogs to 4 first downs for the whole game. The Paintsville offense tallied up over 300 yards on the ground against the bulldogs and lived on the bulldogs side of the field all night and backfield all night. The win gets them a date with Newport Central Catholic.

Newport Central Catholic who will come to Paintsville after there 42-21 win over Louisville Holy Cross on the road. Newport Central Catholic got a big time performance from Joey Runion who had close to 200 yards on the ground and 4 touchdowns, as well as two interceptions and 9 tackles. Newport Central Catholic will hope to get another performance likes this against a very stingy run defense of Paintsville. 

Newport Central Catholic comes in now averaging just over 29 points per game and giving up just over 15 points per game. Paintsville is averaging over 37 points per game and giving up close to 12 points per game. Who wins this matchup to go play for a State Championship?

image.thumb.png.fc7a9c46028075293807e577d52b44ea.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Karsten Poe has done a terrific job running the Paintsville offense in the absence of Jake Hyden. Hyden's injury could have severely wounded the Tigers, if not for a versatile player like Poe stepping up in his new role. That's one of the challenges of 1A football in Kentucky. You don't always have a back-up capable of coming in and performing at a level high enough to still be playing at this point in the season. He doesn't have to be a superstar for Paintsville to go on winning for another couple of weeks, he just needs to keep doing what he's been doing: take care of the football, distribute to his playmakers, and make some plays with his feet, which he is more than capable of.

Surprisingly, at least to me anyway, these two have only met three times before. Each was a playoff game. NewCath won in '94 and '01, with Paintsville winning in '98.

10 minutes ago, TigersofPaintsville said:

One game that I’m wondering about is the Holmes game. Appears Holmes ran for over 300 yards and held NCC scoreless.  Is Holmes considered a strong NKY team? I know next to nothing about their program. 

They were very solid this year. Also very run heavy. I think Paintsville can have success running the football on NCC behind that big offensive line.

3 hours ago, TigersofPaintsville said:

One game that I’m wondering about is the Holmes game. Appears Holmes ran for over 300 yards and held NCC scoreless.  Is Holmes considered a strong NKY team? I know next to nothing about their program. 

NCC played about as bad a game as they could against Holmes with lots of penalties and over all sloppy play.. Holmes is an ok team but I think NCC was still shell shocked by the beat down Beechwood put on them the week before. They appear to have put those games behind them now.

17 hours ago, Bac2369 said:

I figured they would be some talk in here with the win from Newport Central Catholic last week.

I think there is recognition that Paintsville is considered by many to be the best team left in 1A. With the way NewCath has had an up and down season, there is trepidation to say that NewCath can maintain consistency versus such a high quality opponent. Was the time off what allowed NewCath to gameplan so well against Lou. Holy Cross? Or were they able to work on their fundamentals that they may not have at the beginning of the season? I think it's really hard to nail down.