Reds Offseason Moves

A couple of things happened over the weekend...

Nick Castellanos decided NOT to opt out of his contract with the Reds, so he will be back in 2021 at a cost of $14 million.  He'll have the same opportunity to opt-out at the end of next year, as well, or could be back for $16 million in 2022 and '23.

The Reds officially extended Trevor Bauer a one-year qualifying offer worth $18.9.  This was pretty much just a formality, as the Reds will receive draft pick compensation if he signs elsewhere.  He has until November 11th to decline it, which I'm sure he will.  The qualifying offer doesn't affect any other offers the Reds may extend to Bauer, but I can't see any scenario that has him coming back to the Reds.  He'll end up in one of the big three (New York, Chicago or LA) when it's all said and done.

In addition to Bauer, other players who are now free agents are...Anthony DeSclafani, Freddy Galvis and Tyler Thornburg.

• 1 month later...

Hope the fans enjoyed what little joy the team brought this past year, because I'm not so sure next year won't be a battle with the Buco's for the basement again.

Reds non-tendered Curt Casali (C), Brian Goodwin (OF) and Archie Bradley (RP) last week.

Letting Casali walk pretty much assures Tyler Stephenson will be on the opening day roster.  Which, while it may be an upgrade on offense, it seems like a lot of the pitchers liked it when Curt was behind the dish.

Goodwin's release was an easy one.  Once Castellanos came back, the crowded outfield became overcrowded.  And with the NL not likely to have the DH this upcoming season, it's already going to be a battle to see who goes where.  You could have an all right-handed crew of Castellanos, Senzel and Aquino...and you've still got left-handers in Shogo and Winker.

Bradley is the confusing one for me...especially in the light of the Raisel Iglesias trade yesterday.  I know a lot of people aren't sad to see Iggy go...and I may be one of them.  But, IF they end up using Lorenzen in a starting role, then who are we trusting the back end of the pen to?  Lucas Sims?  Amir's going to be there, but probably reserved for some specific left-handed matchups.  Bradley was a veteran guy who's closed out games in the past and was cheaper than Iggy.  Are we going to a closer by committee now, or is this cementing Lorenzen's role in the pen?  Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Kyle Farmer was also non-tendered the same day as the other three, but the Reds turned around and re-signed him once he was a free agent.  I like this move, in the sense that it gives them the flexibility of having 3 catchers on the active roster.  A lot of managers are hesitant to swap out catchers in the middle of the game because they're afraid of an injury forcing them to go to the "emergency" catcher.  That's not the case with Farmer.  Plus, he can play other infield spots as well.  I like the re-signing.

The other "big news" is that the Reds are shopping Sonny Gray.  (There's another thread just on this topic.)  This is the one that makes me believe they are not going to actively compete next year.  Even without Bauer, a rotation of Gray and Castillo at the top is a pretty good start.  Going to be waaaaaaay too many holes to fill if they trade him.  (Cause Bauer ain't coming back.)

I'm really beginning to wonder if Dick Williams resigned this fall, because Bob had already told him it was a one-year push.  And if this isn't Bob driven, I'm beginning to wonder about Nick Krall's plans.  Are we looking at another 5 year rebuild, slashing salaries and hoarding draft picks and prospects?

I was giddy with the roster they came to camp with last year.  Not even close to the same amount of enthusiasm right now.  Could be a long year.

2 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

Hope the fans enjoyed what little joy the team brought this past year, because I'm not so sure next year won't be a battle with the Buco's for the basement again.

Reds non-tendered Curt Casali (C), Brian Goodwin (OF) and Archie Bradley (RP) last week.

Letting Casali walk pretty much assures Tyler Stephenson will be on the opening day roster.  Which, while it may be an upgrade on offense, it seems like a lot of the pitchers liked it when Curt was behind the dish.

Goodwin's release was an easy one.  Once Castellanos came back, the crowded outfield became overcrowded.  And with the NL not likely to have the DH this upcoming season, it's already going to be a battle to see who goes where.  You could have an all right-handed crew of Castellanos, Senzel and Aquino...and you've still got left-handers in Shogo and Winker.

Bradley is the confusing one for me...especially in the light of the Raisel Iglesias trade yesterday.  I know a lot of people aren't sad to see Iggy go...and I may be one of them.  But, IF they end up using Lorenzen in a starting role, then who are we trusting the back end of the pen to?  Lucas Sims?  Amir's going to be there, but probably reserved for some specific left-handed matchups.  Bradley was a veteran guy who's closed out games in the past and was cheaper than Iggy.  Are we going to a closer by committee now, or is this cementing Lorenzen's role in the pen?  Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Kyle Farmer was also non-tendered the same day as the other three, but the Reds turned around and re-signed him once he was a free agent.  I like this move, in the sense that it gives them the flexibility of having 3 catchers on the active roster.  A lot of managers are hesitant to swap out catchers in the middle of the game because they're afraid of an injury forcing them to go to the "emergency" catcher.  That's not the case with Farmer.  Plus, he can play other infield spots as well.  I like the re-signing.

The other "big news" is that the Reds are shopping Sonny Gray.  (There's another thread just on this topic.)  This is the one that makes me believe they are not going to actively compete next year.  Even without Bauer, a rotation of Gray and Castillo at the top is a pretty good start.  Going to be waaaaaaay too many holes to fill if they trade him.  (Cause Bauer ain't coming back.)

I'm really beginning to wonder if Dick Williams resigned this fall, because Bob had already told him it was a one-year push.  And if this isn't Bob driven, I'm beginning to wonder about Nick Krall's plans.  Are we looking at another 5 year rebuild, slashing salaries and hoarding draft picks and prospects?

I was giddy with the roster they came to camp with last year.  Not even close to the same amount of enthusiasm right now.  Could be a long year.

Yep, their going backward instead of forward.  It will be a long year and some to follow.

1 hour ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Are they slashing salaries because there won't be butts in the seats for games?  I suspect we won't see full baseball stadiums until 2022.  Wondering if that plays a factor.

Maybe...but, isn't everyone pretty much in the same boat?  Everybody took a big hit this past year.  So the Reds won't be paying $17m for Bauer again this year...but somebody else will be able to pay him $30m this upcoming year? 

And it's not like the Reds were at/near the top of the league in spending to begin with. They were 18th.  With just Bauer and Iggy's salaries gone, the Reds would've been the 4th lowest in the league.  Unless there's a surprise big signing coming down the track, we're going to be near the bottom of the league.  Now sure, the Rays caught lightning in a bottle and made it to the WS with a low budget.  But, I think everybody would agree that that's the exception rather than the rule.

11 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Maybe...but, isn't everyone pretty much in the same boat?  Everybody took a big hit this past year.  So the Reds won't be paying $17m for Bauer again this year...but somebody else will be able to pay him $30m this upcoming year? 

And it's not like the Reds were at/near the top of the league in spending to begin with. They were 18th.  With just Bauer and Iggy's salaries gone, the Reds would've been the 4th lowest in the league.  Unless there's a surprise big signing coming down the track, we're going to be near the bottom of the league.  Now sure, the Rays caught lightning in a bottle and made it to the WS with a low budget.  But, I think everybody would agree that that's the exception rather than the rule.

Yes, everyone is in the same boat in that there won't be butts in the seats.  No, they won't be in the same boat because some teams will have much more revenue in 2021 due to their bigger TV deals.  

It was just a theory to explain why they'd be offloading salaries.

41 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Yes, everyone is in the same boat in that there won't be butts in the seats.  No, they won't be in the same boat because some teams will have much more revenue in 2021 due to their bigger TV deals.  

It was just a theory to explain why they'd be offloading salaries.

Yeah, I know it's a theory, and probably an accurate one.  Sorry, if my response came off as combative.  Was just trying to supply some context.  My feeling is that those with a bigger TV deal probably were already spending more money last year anyway.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, CincySportsFan said:

Saw something that said the Reds are also shopping Suarez. Possibly to the Nationals, who are still trying to fill the void left by Rendon leaving.

I really, really think Williams knew this was coming and said "No, thanks".  Bob should just sell the team.

If all of this really happens, then Bob and Mike should load up the trucks and leave town.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Have seen several reports that a Luis Castillo to the Yankees trade is definitely serious.

I am just getting sick to my stomach watching/waiting on this team getting picked apart.  We should have been trying to build upon the success of last year, instead of throwing nearly the whole dang team out the window.

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Here's a shocker for everyone. Currently the Reds are considered one of the favorites to win the division, even with all the moves they have made this off season including dropping Trevor Bauer.

Yeah, I saw that.  But it's like the whole NL Central is tanking, so the Reds are just the best of the worst.  But, if they trade Gray and/or Castillo, there's no way they can still be considered the favorite, right?

Anyway, the thing I don't get is, that if everyone else is going to be down, isn't this the year where you'd like to improve your team and take advantage of it?  This just seems like a total rebuild.

Now I've seen Krall has come out today and say the Castillo rumors are completely false.  But, where the heck has he been for the past month?  I suppose the Gray, Suarez and Moustakas mentions are all just rumors, too, huh?

32 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Yeah, I saw that.  But it's like the whole NL Central is tanking, so the Reds are just the best of the worst.  But, if they trade Gray and/or Castillo, there's no way they can still be considered the favorite, right?

Anyway, the thing I don't get is, that if everyone else is going to be down, isn't this the year where you'd like to improve your team and take advantage of it?  This just seems like a total rebuild.

Now I've seen Krall has come out today and say the Castillo rumors are completely false.  But, where the heck has he been for the past month?  I suppose the Gray, Suarez and Moustakas mentions are all just rumors, too, huh?

Supposedly the Reds asked for Gleyber Torres and others for Castillo.  Yankees said no.