Games in the Red Counties

Yadi1957

2 hours ago, KY Outsider said:

What makes a county red is a little misleading. I know Covid is serious but 25/100,000 is 0.025% positivity. That seems a little low. As long as people are following the protocols, you should be able to play.

It's frustrating, we all are feeling that. But it's about being proactive in trying to prevent the spread of the virus. 0.025% positivity is a small number, until it starts to grow exponentially, and I believe that is what we are trying to prevent. 

22 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

It's frustrating, we all are feeling that. But it's about being proactive in trying to prevent the spread of the virus. 0.025% positivity is a small number, until it starts to grow exponentially, and I believe that is what we are trying to prevent. 

True, I get that but as long as we follow protocols, high school sports aren't the great spreader that was feared at the beginning. You are probably more likely to get it at the grocery store than at sporting events.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Am I correct in saying that this "Red County" thing wasn't a factor in Play/Don't Play back when the KHSAA established the guidelines???

Not specifically. But the decision to play or not to play has always been up to each individual district. From the beginning, the KHSAA has left flexibility for the districts to handle the situation in the way they feel is the safest. Not mention, things were improving at the point in time when the decision was made. That's not the case now, and districts are adapting as they see fit.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Mustang said:

Am I correct in saying that this "Red County" thing wasn't a factor in Play/Don't Play back when the KHSAA established the guidelines???

The KHSAA isn't the one making decisions on the games being played. 

• Thanks 1

I understand both of the above responses to my question.

It just seems like this factor (Red Counties) has come about since the beginning of the season, or at least the pre-season.  Just one more thing to try to have to work around.

If your team is healthy let them play! 

I can see this being a nightmare in the playoffs. Let’s say you have a 4 seed that doesn’t want to play at the 1 seed and thinks they should forfeit because there County is in the red I think there’s going to have to be someone decide it ideally the KHSAA would step in and say the higher RPI team moves on.

5 hours ago, Tkinslow said:

I can see this being a nightmare in the playoffs. Let’s say you have a 4 seed that doesn’t want to play at the 1 seed and thinks they should forfeit because there County is in the red I think there’s going to have to be someone decide it ideally the KHSAA would step in and say the higher RPI team moves on.

It seems like this is the year for KHSAA to try out a regional location for the semi-finals at least.  Select one or two or 3 locations that have typically not been in the red and teams play there.  Home field isn't what it used to be in the Covid-World.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1