UCF Player Rebellion

swamprat

Friday, UCF cancelled the start of fall practice when the players, nobody knows how many, refused to attend demanding hazard pay, scholarship security, and 20% of AAC revenue.

Another nail in the coffin for college football this fall. 

40 minutes ago, swamprat said:

Friday, UCF cancelled the start of fall practice when the players, nobody knows how many, refused to attend demanding hazard pay, scholarship security, and 20% of AAC revenue.

Another nail in the coffin for college football this fall. 

Pretty reasonable requests. If the players were allowed to unionize I think close to 50% of the revenue is where I would of started. But increased stipends for hazard pay, and scholarship security are pretty baseline for any rational conversations. The presidents are remaining silent through all of this because they want to keep with this garbage illusion of amateurism in high level college athletics. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

Pretty reasonable requests. If the players were allowed to unionize I think close to 50% of the revenue is where I would of started. But increased stipends for hazard pay, and scholarship security are pretty baseline for any rational conversations. The presidents are remaining silent through all of this because they want to keep with this garbage illusion of amateurism in high level college athletics. 

It’s a very reasonable request.

IMO the universities and the NCAA could stomach paying the players a small percentage of revenue in basketball and football.

It’s baseball, soccer, women’s basketball and basically every other sport that they want no part in paying.

In the 2018/19 academic year, Ohio State had total revenue of $210,548,230. Their expenses tallied $220,572,956. That is a loss of over $10 million. Alabama lost over $20 million and $2.5 million of their revenue came from student feeds. 

Only 15 of 227 FBS schools charge 0 student fees. 

For all but 50 of the FBS schools, more than 40% of their revenue comes from student fees. In more than 90% of those 177 schools, more than half of the revenue comes from student fees. 

If you subtract student fees from total revenue, more than 90 percent of the 227 FBS colleges lose money every year. 

As Scott Strickland, AD at Florida, said, "College athletics is very popular and it generates a lot of attention, but it’s still an extracurricular activity on a college campus — an academic institution’s campus." Florida's academic research grants brought in 5 times the amount they made on athletics in the 2018/19 and their expenses are tiny compared to those of athletics.

These are academic institutions first and foremost. 

I have maintained for years that all extracurricular activities on a college campus should be club level. No scholarships. No special accommodations. No facilities provided by the institution. If a club wishes to affiliate themselves with a school then that school can sponsor them financially, but not with student fees. However, the club must provide its own training facilities, staff, and stadium. They can pay the players all they want, at that point. If the NFL wants a farm system, let them pay for it and this would provide a way to do it. 

45 minutes ago, swamprat said:

If you subtract student fees from UCF's 2018/19 revenue, they lost close to $30 million. 

Maybe those guys getting a fee tuition, room, board, and a stipend should consider that before demanding pay.

1 hour ago, swamprat said:

In the 2018/19 academic year, Ohio State had total revenue of $210,548,230. Their expenses tallied $220,572,956. That is a loss of over $10 million. Alabama lost over $20 million and $2.5 million of their revenue came from student feeds. 

For all but 50 of the FBS schools, more than 40% of their revenue comes from student fees. In more than 90% of those 177 schools, more than half of the revenue comes from student fees. 

If you subtract student fees from total revenue, more than 90 percent of the 227 FBS colleges lose money every year. 

If all this is true. Then should these colleges come out in the media on ESPN, Twitter, and let the whole public know exactly the revenue they make, and what the expenses are. Especially with paying college athletes becoming a big topic, and many siding with the athletes. You would think if the info you posted is true for most schools, they would want to get that out in the media to show it wouldn’t be really possible to pay athletes. 

1 hour ago, swamprat said:

Are these numbers for football programs or the entire athletic program ?

2 hours ago, futurecoach said:

If all this is true. Then should these colleges come out in the media on ESPN, Twitter, and let the whole public know exactly the revenue they make, and what the expenses are. Especially with paying college athletes becoming a big topic, and many siding with the athletes. You would think if the info you posted is true for most schools, they would want to get that out in the media to show it wouldn’t be really possible to pay athletes. 

I had copied the data off of USA Today a while back. The revenue is a matter of public record for public institutions, though.

Why the schools do not use this data is beyond my understanding. 

I found the link where I got it...

https://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

There is a link there that explains the methodology. 

2 minutes ago, swamprat said:

The entire athletic department. 

That’s what I figured.

I assume the UCF football program turns a decent profit but the school loses millions each year by offering other sports that will never be profitable.

Maybe the higher ups at UCF should take a look at how to save money in other areas. 

Just seems wasteful to me.

4 hours ago, swamprat said:

As Scott Strickland, AD at Florida, said, "College athletics is very popular and it generates a lot of attention, but it’s still an extracurricular activity on a college campus — an academic institution’s campus." Florida's academic research grants brought in 5 times the amount they made on athletics in the 2018/19 and their expenses are tiny compared to those of athletics.

These are academic institutions first and foremost. 

I have maintained for years that all extracurricular activities on a college campus should be club level. No scholarships. No special accommodations. No facilities provided by the institution. If a club wishes to affiliate themselves with a school then that school can sponsor them financially, but not with student fees. However, the club must provide its own training facilities, staff, and stadium. They can pay the players all they want, at that point. If the NFL wants a farm system, let them pay for it and this would provide a way to do it. 

The part that's being left out in this analysis, is the impact sports has on overall attendence and alumni support. Sports are a great recruiting tool, even for students who don't play sports. I don't know how you measure that impact, but it's real.

• Like 2

Maybe we should dig into why UCF lost 30 million last year.

I doubt it’s because of the football team. The players should demand a share of the revenue if they are the sole reason every other sports team at UCF exists.

9 hours ago, swamprat said:

If you subtract student fees from UCF's 2018/19 revenue, they lost close to $30 million. 

Maybe those guys getting a fee tuition, room, board, and a stipend should consider that before demanding pay.

If you were the only reason your company profited, would you not demand compensation?