Kentucky 2nd (labor force adjusted) in the Nation in jobless claims over the last 6 weeks

theguru

From CNBC:

Controlling for state labor force size, Hawaii, Kentucky, Georgia, Rhode Island and Michigan lead the country in jobless claims over the last six weeks. Those states have seen 292, 286, 268, 261 and 255 jobless claims per 1,000 workers.

How sad for all our fellow Kentuckians. 286 jobless claims per 1,000 Kentucky workers.

I also see Florida overtook California with the most weekly unemployment claims.

Just horrible.

When will this turn around?

Pick your poison. At least we have more control by shutting everything down. Had we not taken the steps we did, the effect of an out of control pandemic would have been equally devastating along with the added cost of human life. It’s hard to keep things open when your workers are sick/dying.

From CNBC:

Controlling for state labor force size, Hawaii, Kentucky, Georgia, Rhode Island and Michigan lead the country in jobless claims over the last six weeks. Those states have seen 292, 286, 268, 261 and 255 jobless claims per 1,000 workers.

How sad for all our fellow Kentuckians. 286 jobless claims per 1,000 Kentucky workers.

I also see Florida overtook California with the most weekly unemployment claims.

Just horrible.

When will this turn around?

The only reason Florida did not overtake California sooner was that their web servers were overrun and they had to shut them down preventing application for unemployment until they could increase capacity. The servers were completely offline weekend before last.

Pick your poison. At least we have more control by shutting everything down. Had we not taken the steps we did, the effect of an out of control pandemic would have been equally devastating along with the added cost of human life. It’s hard to keep things open when your workers are sick/dying.

It will be interesting to look back on. Especially, if we have to print billions of more dollars, what kinda effect that can have on a country.

Kids don’t get sick from The Rona so we should use them as essential workers as well as placing them in the non essential businesses that need to be opened so the economy can be supported. There’s the answer. Make the kids work, then they won’t need school so we won’t need to re-open the schools. They’ll all be working.

Problem solved. Hire children.

It's darned if you do and darned if you don't. A friend of mine was working as always (being at UPS at Louisville Int'l Airport, which is nearly as busy as ever) but those guys aren't getting anywhere near what they need for protection and contracted the virus from a guy on his team, who got it from his wife. Now an entire 8-man crew is in the middle of a 14-day mandatory quarantine.

His symptoms are minor (thank heaven), but it's just insane out there.

Add one more Kentuckian to the list. I just got off the phone with one of my besties and it is the job today, the insurance in 30 days, and then who knows...

Sucks man. Sorry to hear about your friend.

I'm pretty annoyed by the amount of my income that I've lost by not having beer vending. But I try to keep reminding myself that at least I am in no danger of losing my full-time job. Missing a ton of money by not vending the Oaks & Derby this weekend, but I try to think of people like your friend.

Wife's old company (she is a stay at home mom now) just reduced everyone's salary down to $50k, will not be giving raises into next year, and stopped 401k contributions. At least they didn't lay anyone off yet.

Also, I was working on one of our job sites yesterday. Contractors are building a structure to house equipment. I was talking to one of the younger contractors. He told me he couldn't wait until this job was done because they didn't have any work lined up after this. He said he'd get laid off and make more money on unemployment.

I also just read that our state’s budget shortfall could be in the neighborhood of half a billion dollars when the fiscal year ends June 30.

Kentucky is literally being destroyed.

Sucks man. Sorry to hear about your friend.

I'm pretty annoyed by the amount of my income that I've lost by not having beer vending. But I try to keep reminding myself that at least I am in no danger of losing my full-time job. Missing a ton of money by not vending the Oaks & Derby this weekend, but I try to think of people like your friend.

Thanks MJ.

It gets worse. My friend has a dependent that has experienced the "virtual learning disaster" and at this pace education doesn't make any sense in our "new normal" so the dependent is done with school for now and took a temp job in a factory. They think between the factory job and unemployment benefits they can make it but it is literally destroying this otherwise solid family financially. On top of that, I ended up counseling my friend on the phone twice yesterday for about a hour each time because anxiety and depression are setting in.