Jump to content

Casey County Coaching History


 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello folks. I am trying to put together a list of all of the head coaches from Casey County. Below is the list that I have so far. Can anyone help me fill the rest out? Thanks!

 

1988 Adam Lindsey (1-9)

1989-1993 Boyd Randolph

1994-1998 Aubrey Pennington (1-?)

1999-2000Steve Stonebraker (10-10)

2001-2010 Andy Stephens (35-71)

2011-2015 Sam A. Marples (20-35)

2016 - Steve Stonebraker

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 6 months later...
On 3/21/2020 at 9:09 PM, Creame18 said:

Hello folks. I am trying to put together a list of all of the head coaches from Casey County. Below is the list that I have so far. Can anyone help me fill the rest out? Thanks!

 

1988 Adam Lindsey (1-9)

1989-1993 Boyd Randolph

1994-1998 Aubrey Pennington (1-?)

1999-2000Steve Stonebraker (10-10)

2001-2010 Andy Stephens (35-71)

2011-2015 Sam A. Marples (20-35)

2016 - Steve Stonebraker

1986-87 Steve Butcher 4-17

1982-1985 Frank Parker 12-29

1980-1981 Randall Akers 6-15

1979 Ralph McKee 1-9

1977-1978 Michael Finney 3-19

1976 Dan Walker 5-6

1974-1975 Dan Atkinson 5-16

1973 David Hill 2-8

 

Boyd Randolph was 17-32

Aubrey Pennington was 1-48

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Per this article from the Sept 19, 1972 edition of the Danville Advocate-Messenger, Kent McCubbin was the coach that year of of the first-ever football team at Casey County High School. Casey County High School and Liberty High School had consolidated in the 1968-69 school year to form a bigger Casey County High School large enough to support a football program.

The_Advocate_Messenger_Tue__Sep_19__1972_.thumb.jpg.6d4b126021ad5f7db3f714bfc1128739.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's where this is tricky. There was a Liberty High School and a Middleburg High School in Casey County. Liberty was sometimes referred to as "Casey County" although that was never its name. Middleburg was also referred to as "Casey County." As you mentioned earlier, Casey County High School (as it exists today) was formed from Liberty and Middleburg (sometimes Casey!). It is very confusing.

This isn't the only example of this. There were several schools in the late-1940s until the early-1970s that went by a town name and later changed to a county name without actually changing schools or consolidating with anyone. Campton, Beattyville, Sandy Hook, and numerous others, especially in eastern Kentucky.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Here's where this is tricky. There was a Liberty High School and a Middleburg High School in Casey County. Liberty was sometimes referred to as "Casey County" although that was never its name. Middleburg was also referred to as "Casey County." As you mentioned earlier, Casey County High School (as it exists today) was formed from Liberty and Middleburg (sometimes Casey!). It is very confusing.

This isn't the only example of this. There were several schools in the late-1940s until the early-1970s that went by a town name and later changed to a county name without actually changing schools or consolidating with anyone. Campton, Beattyville, Sandy Hook, and numerous others, especially in eastern Kentucky.

I picked up on some of that, yeah...but what made me scratch my head mostly was that the article from the Advocate-Messenger states that "This was the first grid team to ever represent a Casey County school since none of the schools ever had football prior to the consolidation three years ago."

...yet there's a CJ article from two years prior with a score from a football team from Casey County.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Nuke LaLoosh said:

1986-87 Steve Butcher 4-17

1982-1985 Frank Parker 12-29

1980-1981 Randall Akers 6-15

1979 Ralph McKee 1-9

1977-1978 Michael Finney 3-19

1976 Dan Walker 5-6

1974-1975 Dan Atkinson 5-16

1973 David Hill 2-8

 

Boyd Randolph was 17-32

Aubrey Pennington was 1-48

1973 is Dan Hill. Not David. Dan Hill and my Dad were both assistant coaches at Lafayette. Dan later went to Washington County where he hired Jimmie Reed (who is now the head of our coaches association) and Lee Glasscock who played for my Dad at Boyle. Coach Reed and Lee went on to be successful head coaches at Washington County.

When Dan was at Washington County, 1975 season, he and my Dad's Mercer team were going to play. Dan knew my Dad did his staff meetings in the basement of our house on Sunday nights. Dan shows up, I think with Coach Reed and Lee, to sit in on my Dad's staff meeting, prepping for his team.  They sat in the basement, smoked cigars, and watched video. Larry French was on my Dad's staff at Mercer and was in that meeting as well.

That Friday, we had a monsoon. The game was postponed to that Monday. Mercer won the game by 3 or 4 Touchdowns on a Monday night. That was in the middle of a 5 game winning streak for Mercer.

Great memories. Wish I could go back in time and sit in on one of those Sunday night meetings in the basement.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, ChiefSmoke said:

1973 is Dan Hill. Not David. Dan Hill and my Dad were both assistant coaches at Lafayette. Dan later went to Washington County where he hired Jimmie Reed (who is now the head of our coaches association) and Lee Glasscock who played for my Dad at Boyle. Coach Reed and Lee went on to be successful head coaches at Washington County.

When Dan was at Washington County, 1975 season, he and my Dad's Mercer team were going to play. Dan knew my Dad did his staff meetings in the basement of our house on Sunday nights. Dan shows up, I think with Coach Reed and Lee, to sit in on my Dad's staff meeting, prepping for his team.  They sat in the basement, smoked cigars, and watched video. Larry French was on my Dad's staff at Mercer and was in that meeting as well.

That Friday, we had a monsoon. The game was postponed to that Monday. Mercer won the game by 3 or 4 Touchdowns on a Monday night. That was in the middle of a 5 game winning streak for Mercer.

Great memories. Wish I could go back in time and sit in on one of those Sunday night meetings in the basement.

I thought his name was Dan, but the sheet I was reading said David.  Thanks for verifying that.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2020 at 10:10 AM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

...but the prep sports page of the Courier-Journal's morning edition exactly two years prior, on Sept 19, 1970 shows a score for a football game between Casey County against McCreary County.

So you be the judge of when the team started.

The_Courier_Journal_Sat__Sep_19__1970_.thumb.jpg.08f5f4e2d90fab90b1d8d4f037e84152.jpg

I work with a guy who played on the first varsity team and he says it's 73'.  He did say they played JV ball before that.

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/12/2020 at 11:02 AM, gchs_uk9 said:

Here's where this is tricky. There was a Liberty High School and a Middleburg High School in Casey County. Liberty was sometimes referred to as "Casey County" although that was never its name. Middleburg was also referred to as "Casey County." As you mentioned earlier, Casey County High School (as it exists today) was formed from Liberty and Middleburg (sometimes Casey!). It is very confusing.

This isn't the only example of this. There were several schools in the late-1940s until the early-1970s that went by a town name and later changed to a county name without actually changing schools or consolidating with anyone. Campton, Beattyville, Sandy Hook, and numerous others, especially in eastern Kentucky.

Casey County High School started in 1963-1964 school year.  Liberty was still a high school until 1968 (I believe) when they consolidated.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.