St. Henry 49 Beechwood 46

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let’s agree it was 50% of the shots against St Henry. And the same against their losses. Beechwood had only three players that scored. Taking contested shots over and over is not good basketball. Where is the patience to allow your players to take better shots? It’s the elephant in the room.

I do believe there was a thread last year insinuating that it was time for St. Henry to move on from Coach Faust. On top of being a terrific coach he is even better of a person and mentor for these kids. Congrats to the Cru on winning and good luck the rest of the way.

He has the best team he has ever had(that is including the 2003 team). Next years team will be even better, Vieth has changed the status of the program with some help. You see so many coaches jump ship or try to find a better situation but Faust stuck it out and now it is paying off. Faust does deserve to be in the conversation for coach of the year.

Well let’s agree it was 50% of the shots against St Henry. And the same against their losses. Beechwood had only three players that scored. Taking contested shots over and over is not good basketball. Where is the patience to allow your players to take better shots? It’s the elephant in the room.

Not sure what you're getting at. I can agree Scotty shot 50% of the FG attempts against St Henry. We have 7 losses, the only other loss where he was even close was against LexCath where he had 19 of the team's 44 attempts.

Loaded by NKY standards, rolled through the 8th grade league at CovCath last year, add a couple of nice players from St Henry Elementary and IHM, and a ton of size. Will be a while before Coach Faust has a class like this again.

I would say somewhere in the middle, and knowing all of those kids I am not sure how many play after this year similar to last years class.

So you make a bold statement about a certain player taking 50% of the team's shots and @statman refutes it with actual data. You then make a different statement and preface it with "Well let's agree." I think you should respond to the original statement.

I will respond. YTD one player on Beechwood shooting 392 shots of 1113 (36%). According to KHSAA stats YTD, there is no other player in the state of KY shooting more attempts....period. According to the top 50 leaders in 2pt and 3pt leaders, only three of the top 50 have taken more than 200 shots; 209, 211 and the closest 256. Thats nearly 136 more shots than any state leaders. All three of those and the other 47 players are shooting at least 60%.

The 392 shots that have been taken equal only 467 points, with 102 being free throws. It's just not a high enough percentage to be taking that many shots. No one can justify and say this is a sound offensive basketball strategy to win games. It just doesn't make any sense.

And i will say again, in the St. Henry game only 3 Beechwood players scored. Of the 22 shots taken (more than half of the total) from one player 7 of those shots were for 3's and only one was made. The Beechwood Tigers have several really good shooters, if someone is not hot, why are the other players not getting those shots? According to the stats posted earlier, Will Rolf, one of their best three point shooters could not and did not take one shot the entire game?

Basketball games have an ebb and flow. Beechwood is loaded with too much talent to have one player taking more than double the shots of any other player on the team.

My point is just this...You can't win that way and you are not helping that player or any other players become better.

They have too good of a talented team to settle for this.

The Beechwood Tigers have many offensive threats and have no logical reason to not distribute the ball to the open player. Downton, Busald, Roth, Decker, all can shoot and have been successful when given the opportunity. However, when you look at their stat sheet and the year's worth of stats, its a sad reflection that one player is taking more than half of the games shots?! Who needs that? What college team is going to allow a player to take more than 50% of their teams game shots? It's ludicrous. Scotty Draugh is a good player but their is no discipline. He is in the top ten in the state in total scoring, but is no where on the top 50 in FG percentage. That tells the real story.

His shooting percentage is lower than average. But when one person takes more than

50% of their team's shots, that team will lose. It makes no sense that not one of their 8-9 coaches can't see that and are not willing to make an adjustment. I just don't understand it. Now, take a look at the St. Henry stats (and take a look at any of the stats of any of the opposing teams that beat Beechwood this year. It all tells the same story. Beechwood is literally having one guy "shoot them out of the game" while the opposing team is more disciplined, rotating the ball, distributing the ball to the OPEN shot. It isn't rocket science. It's basketball 101. Now, take a look at the powerhouse of the 9th Region. Cov Cath: Tell me is there one kid taking more than 50% of their shots? Heck no! I don't think you could find a team in the state that has one player taking more than 50% of their team shots? If someone can, please share it. It's a sad commentary on this teams' deficiency. Maybe someone will wake up before it's too late.

He is taking 34% of their shots.

Harmon for Marshall county is almost 41%

So Draud shot 50% on the night and scored 28 points and now he’s a selfish player and the coaches aren’t in control? I have no skin in the game but I can’t stand folks beating on him and the coaches (or other players and coaches for that matter). This is ridiculous. From some quick research, it looks like he took a little over 17 shots a game last year and is taking a little over 19 a game this year. Not a drastic increase considering they lost a few valuable pieces from a top 3 team in the region last year. If he hits his normal free throw percentage in this game, Beechwood wins and we are talking about how he took over the game and what a great player he is. Let the kid play. I’m sure nobody wants success more than him. Last thing he needs is to see this stuff.