St. Henry 49 Beechwood 46

How do you improve? What isn't working and what is working? Can Beechwood beat the top notch teams? They have lost to all the top tier teams they have played. I think the Beechwood posters in this thread think Beechwood can be better than what they have shown to date and that is what is driving the analysis here.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say somewhere in the middle, and knowing all of those kids I am not sure how many play after this year similar to last years class.

What makes you think that any of these kids would stop playing basketball after an incredibly successful freshman year? And now the entire program is beginning to succeed again, all with home-grown talent. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

What makes you think that any of these kids would stop playing basketball after an incredibly successful freshman year? And now the entire program is beginning to succeed again, all with home-grown talent. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

I am not talking about this any longer...we will just have to see how it plays out like last years class. I hope they all continue playing.

I will respond. YTD one player on Beechwood shooting 392 shots of 1113 (36%). According to KHSAA stats YTD, there is no other player in the state of KY shooting more attempts....period. According to the top 50 leaders in 2pt and 3pt leaders, only three of the top 50 have taken more than 200 shots; 209, 211 and the closest 256. Thats nearly 136 more shots than any state leaders. All three of those and the other 47 players are shooting at least 60%.

The 392 shots that have been taken equal only 467 points, with 102 being free throws. It's just not a high enough percentage to be taking that many shots. No one can justify and say this is a sound offensive basketball strategy to win games. It just doesn't make any sense.

And i will say again, in the St. Henry game only 3 Beechwood players scored. Of the 22 shots taken (more than half of the total) from one player 7 of those shots were for 3's and only one was made. The Beechwood Tigers have several really good shooters, if someone is not hot, why are the other players not getting those shots? According to the stats posted earlier, Will Rolf, one of their best three point shooters could not and did not take one shot the entire game?

Basketball games have an ebb and flow. Beechwood is loaded with too much talent to have one player taking more than double the shots of any other player on the team.

My point is just this...You can't win that way and you are not helping that player or any other players become better.

They have too good of a talented team to settle for this.

To set off this anti-Draud debate, you must have been in a different gym than I was, or just Draud haters. Draud scored going to the rim mostly In this one. Used his height and drove to basket. What I saw as the problem was besides Rylee, the others just standing on the 3 pt line not moving without the ball.

I grew in in a different era I guess. You always get the ball to your best player, let them create. What I saw Was a lot of standing around. Don’t know if there is an internal dysfunction (pouting) going on or not, but as a coach once told me when pouting About not getting the ball, get your butt in there and rebound because even the best shooters miss half their shots. Also IMO, you got some talent on thIs team, but outside Draud, no one can create when defensive pressure is on. I was also at SK game by chance, and SK pressured and the rest of team crumbed there too. Point? Draud wants the ball. Others don’t appear too when pressure hits. Not hating, just pointing out observations from my 2 games.

If I’m Goetz, I do same thing. Scotty, go. But I Also personally start rotating guys in until I find five That will go with him. A lot of people on this thread are giving Beechwood far too much credit for being deep and talented. Just not so from what I’ve seen. Nice team, but no way I take ball out of his hands by telling him intentionally until others start moving without the ball. Heck, FT aside, BW coulda one this game on backdoor cuts if they did a couple here and there. Bottom line, Draud is not the problem.

To set off this anti-Draud debate, you must have been in a different gym than I was, or just Draud haters. Draud scored going to the rim mostly In this one. Used his height and drove to basket. What I saw as the problem was besides Rylee, the others just standing on the 3 pt line not moving without the ball.

I grew in in a different era I guess. You always get the ball to your best player, let them create. What I saw Was a lot of standing around. Don’t know if there is an internal dysfunction (pouting) going on or not, but as a coach once told me when pouting About not getting the ball, get your butt in there and rebound because even the best shooters miss half their shots. Also IMO, you got some talent on thIs team, but outside Draud, no one can create when defensive pressure is on. I was also at SK game by chance, and SK pressured and the rest of team crumbed there too. Point? Draud wants the ball. Others don’t appear too when pressure hits. Not hating, just pointing out observations from my 2 games.

If I’m Goetz, I do same thing. Scotty, go. But I Also personally start rotating guys in until I find five That will go with him. A lot of people on this thread are giving Beechwood far too much credit for being deep and talented. Just not so from what I’ve seen. Nice team, but no way I take ball out of his hands by telling him intentionally until others start moving without the ball. Heck, FT aside, BW coulda one this game on backdoor cuts if they did a couple here and there. Bottom line, Draud is not the problem.

I’ve seen Beechwood three times this year. Depth is not a strength. 2 best wins this year are NCC and Grant, both of which were missing starters. Beechwood is beating who they should and getting drilled by good teams, Lex Cath, Collins, Oldham. There can only be 20 in the top 20 in the state, Beechwood just isn’t and you cannot say they would be better if Draud didn’t shoot as much. Great point that he wants the ball when others do not. He is playing harder and more physical than ever, it just may be that he has peaked and this is as good as it gets and that’s OK. He’s a stud High a School player, enjoy the ride.