Mason Co 73 Scott 50

Scott played against a very good Mason Co team. I can see why Mason is #1 in the 10th and top 5 in the state. Darius Miller is the real deal.

Scott did look tired and emotionally drained from last night's game against SK. To Scott's credit, they did climb back and got it down to 11 in the fourth quarter, but then Mason put the hammer down and that was the game.

Mason will be very hard to beat for the regional crown!

Good job Royals,I really enjoyed my trip to Scott High it was a pleasurable experience.I thought Scott played HARD to the end but was just out sized and out manned.I really thought the Refs control this game to much and really hurt both teams.The assistant coach From Florida was on hand tonight also.

Good job Royals,I really enjoyed my trip to Scott High it was a pleasurable experience.I thought Scott played HARD to the end but was just out sized and out manned.I really thought the Refs control this game to much and really hurt both teams.The assistant coach From Florida was on hand tonight also.

Agree. The refs were so terrible towards both teams. It is a shame how the refereeing has gotten so bad over the years. To tell you the truth, I feel most refs don't even know the rules.

Lots of Darius Miller tonight, leading the Royals with 27 points and 14 rebounds. Scott had no one with the size to handle him down low. Tyreese Scott had 13, Ethan King 12, Russ Middleton 6, Jeremy Thompson 6, Trevor Setty 3, Nathan Stahl 4, Jackson Tolle 2. Brad Pawsat didn't score but had 7 boards.

Scott was led by Quigley with 14, Sharp with 11 and Miller with 10.

To their credit, Scott hung around, keeping the score within 12-16 until about 4 minutes to play.. Scott hustled the whole night; just didn't have the horses. They were helped by poor shooting from distance by Mason County (I only remember one 3 from Tyreese Scott in the second half; maybe there was another one somewhere along the line). Insonsistent officiating was a theme throughout the game; what was a charge in the first half became a block in the second, a few body blocks and undercuts went unnoticed. Maybe the officials need to get into form as well as the players sometimes; even though it was substandard, no one could argue that it affected the outcome of the game.

Some random notes from last night's game.

Assistant Coach Lewis Preston of Florida was in attendance.

You knew it might be a rough start for Scott when their first two players introduced got mixed up.

Mason County will be EXTREMELY tough this year if they can develop another bonafide inside scoring threat in addition to Miller.

Tony Browning of the Royals has an injured foot; may be back by mid-month.

Very interesting to sit a couple of rows from the bench; my usual spot is in the nosebleed section of The Fieldhouse; and interesting to see that maybe 80% of the "verbal coaching" is defensive coaching.

And if I didn't make it clear in my earlier post, the officiating was abysmal. Only 2 officials on the floor - is this standard or not? Lots of grabbing and shoving not called; is this more typical in Northern KY?

Nice easy drive for those of us from Maysville, but all other things being equal, I'd rather see Fleming County back in the 10th.

You knew it might be a rough start for Scott when their first two players introduced got mixed up.

Mason County will be EXTREMELY tough this year if they can develop another bonafide inside scoring threat in addition to Miller.

Very interesting to sit a couple of rows from the bench; my usual spot is in the nosebleed section of The Fieldhouse; and interesting to see that maybe 80% of the "verbal coaching" is defensive coaching.

And if I didn't make it clear in my earlier post, the officiating was abysmal. Only 2 officials on the floor - is this standard or not? Lots of grabbing and shoving not called; is this more typical in Northern KY?

Nice easy drive for those of us from Maysville, but all other things being equal, I'd rather see Fleming County back in the 10th.

I might be confused but I was always under the impression that NKY refs called the games a lot tighter whereas others allow the players to play more.

Sounds like Scott played hard, which is probably the toughest thing to do the day afer an emotional loss like they had. I had a feeling going in that they were going to have no answer for Miller. The Quigley kid has really impressed me so far this season.

I attended this game and the game that Mason played against Saint Patrick. I don't have many complaints as a Royal supporter thus far. But something disturbs me and I can't find any explanation for it. Why isn't the King kid featured more? This is your bonified scoring threat. If they continue to waste this kid's time having him on the bench they might have their hands full on the road against a couple teams especially with their key bench player, Browning out with an ankle injury. Don't get me wrong, the team is strong as it is. But, it just seems to me that when the King kid is in the game it gives Mason more options in the half court and fast breaks and not to mention King might be their best on-the-ball defender besides the obvious, Miller. He quietly ripped a Sharp cross-over last night (finished it with a lay-up to end the first half) after I had been interested to see what Sharp was going to do this season, being very impressed with him last season. If someone can give me a legitimate reason why he hasn't got much playing time, I'll give them a cookie. From what I saw from him last year and more recently this summer, I would have thought he would be a key ingredient. I can't find much that this kid has done wrong when he has been in the game. Is he being punished? If you have watched both games, please chime in...

Oh yeah, the officiating was very poor last night. If they are going to start cracking down on palming the ball, then they need to consistently do it.

I might be confused but I was always under the impression that NKY refs called the games a lot tighter whereas others allow the players to play more.

Sounds like Scott played hard, which is probably the toughest thing to do the day afer an emotional loss like they had. I had a feeling going in that they were going to have no answer for Miller. The Quigley kid has really impressed me so far this season.

The refs that do Northern Kentucky games won't necessarily be from Northern Kentucky. If you watch a game at a 10th region site (Scott, Calvary, Brossart, Campbell Co etc.) you will get 10th region refs. The refs at the SK and Walton venues will be from the 8th region. I haven't been real impressed with the refs of the 10th region games I have watched this year but I will say the games I have seen witht the 8th region refs have not been that bad. The two man crew that did the SK/St. Henry game did a very good job.

Agree. The refs were so terrible towards both teams. It is a shame how the refereeing has gotten so bad over the years. To tell you the truth, I feel most refs don't even know the rules.

Is it actual rules they're missing or is it judgment calls that you think they got wrong?

The refs that do Northern Kentucky games won't necessarily be from Northern Kentucky. If you watch a game at a 10th region site (Scott, Calvary, Brossart, Campbell Co etc.) you will get 10th region refs. The refs at the SK and Walton venues will be from the 8th region. I haven't been real impressed with the refs of the 10th region games I have watched this year but I will say the games I have seen witht the 8th region refs have not been that bad. The two man crew that did the SK/St. Henry game did a very good job.

That is what I always thought but the other comment left the impression that it was an NKY thing. I agree about the officiating at the SK/St. Henry game.