Whos the best coach Southeast KY

THE FAN

i differ from you hardball. i dont think coaches coach talent. talen is god given. i always tell my guys this. any man can call himself a carpenter but what kind of tools are you working with. great coaches are determined by getting players to play outside of their comfort zone and winning with less talent. and a few more ingredients, but overall that is the meat and potatoes of it

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i differ from you hardball. i dont think coaches coach talent. talen is god given. i always tell my guys this. any man can call himself a carpenter but what kind of tools are you working with. great coaches are determined by getting players to play outside of their comfort zone and winning with less talent. and a few more ingredients, but overall that is the meat and potatoes of it

I believe what Hardball meant was that any coach can coach a player or players that have talent. Those that don't have very many players with much talent, and that are successful, are great coaches.

Yes, talent is God given, but a coach can bring out more of that talent. Help that player to use his talent at the very best of the players abilities.

Good replies, but still too vague for me.....baseball is unlike football and basketball.......the best talent doesn't always win. And, just because a poorly talented team advances to a region, doesn't necessarily equate to good coaching. Too much emphasis placed on wins/losses and advancement. Someone who is knowledgable enough to rank coaches in Southeastern Kentucky, should be knowledgable enough to at least give a brief description of what it is their ranking, don't you think? And, what about assistant coaches......how do you rank them?

Garmon is a quality coach but I can think of at least 5 better coaches in the 13th region alone. Head Coaches and assistant coaches.

Corbin didn't make it to the regional tourney last year. When is the last time Middlesboro or Rockcastle didn't make the tourney? Good coaches get their team to the tournament no matter what kind of talent they have.

:sleep:

Good replies, but still too vague for me.....baseball is unlike football and basketball.......the best talent doesn't always win. And, just because a poorly talented team advances to a region, doesn't necessarily equate to good coaching. Too much emphasis placed on wins/losses and advancement. Someone who is knowledgable enough to rank coaches in Southeastern Kentucky, should be knowledgable enough to at least give a brief description of what it is their ranking, don't you think? And, what about assistant coaches......how do you rank them?

In my mind, if a team that is low on talent advances through a GOOD district, then a GOOD region, utilizing more than two pitchers, most of that is coaching. Whether it be on the field coaching, or the more psychological areas, someone has done a good job leading that team.

If you're looking for specifics, you can tell which teams have good coaches by watching pitch selection, defense, and in a smaller way, basecoaching. Teams that know what to do in different situations on defense are well-coached. Bunt rotations and the like are not taught in little league, and are rarely taught in Babe Ruth. Pitchers without a high 80's fastball that set hitters up are well-coached. Offensive players that know on which counts to run, bunt, hit to the right side, etc., etc., are well-coached.

Winning because your kids are just more athletically gifted is just luck. Those are the coaches that have a winning record once every four years...

Oh, and by the way, a great coach takes pride in his field.

What criteria or credentials should one consider in determining a coach's ability?? And, how would this process be applicable to assistant coaches?

Do kids in big numbers want to play for them? Do they compete year end and year out regardless of talent? When they do have a talented group do they close the deal? Good coaches take average kids and make great teams. My wife can take the Reds and win a state championship ( I think) but the guys that win districts year end and year out, compete in regional tourneys and are always a contender, win regional titles whens the studs are in the house are the great coaches and there are not a whole lot of those out there. I also think a good high school coach in KY. is involved with feeder programs and the continuous talent pool recirculates. Most coaches know baseball and fundamentals but great coaches get kids to do the extraordinary whether it is above their talent level or in their work ethic.

Good replies, but still too vague for me.....baseball is unlike football and basketball.......the best talent doesn't always win. And, just because a poorly talented team advances to a region, doesn't necessarily equate to good coaching. Too much emphasis placed on wins/losses and advancement. Someone who is knowledgeable enough to rank coaches in Southeastern Kentucky, should be knowledgeable enough to at least give a brief description of what it is their ranking, don't you think? And, what about assistant coaches......how do you rank them?
A good coach, does several things....I'll list them, in no particular ranking.

1) He makes average players good, good players great and great players overachieve, more than they thought possible.

2) He stresses fundamentals and the importance of execution of them.

3) Develops drills, station work, conditioning and practice plans.

4) Ensures the student-athletes, is meeting his academic requirements off the field.

5) Develops character, humbleness, pride in his young men, Makes leaders from those, who never knew they were capable of being one.

6) Instills the team concept.

7) Offers constructive criticism when needed and pats them on the back, when they seem dejected and gets into their crawl, when motivation is needed.

8) Active in youth programs, middle school and JV programs, to ensure Varsity method is being offered.

9) Offers honest evaluations to players, as to which talents they need to develop and work on.

10) Gracious winner and doesn't accept losing, but works to overcome reason his team lost.

11) Always schedule competitive games, to make his team better.

12) Works to promote his players to colleges, to continue their academic and athletic careers.

13) Doesn't justify reasons for playing, or lack their of to mom and dad.

14) Always realizes, he's never to good to learn and strives to improve his knowledge of the game.

15) Surrounds himself with good coaches, who believe in his system and has the same team goals.

A good coach, can be judged by his players and their respect of the game, themselves and their school, both on and off the field. Players want to play for him, listen and absorb his information, along with the assistants. The team is a reflection of its coach and when the coach walks by that mirror, he can look at it and not turn his head....you're then on the right track.

I can at least think of two assistant coaches ahead of Garmon, one is his own assistant. The other is Coach Powell from Middlesboro.

Kenneth Johnson does a good job at Allen Central. Last season his team went (23-11) won the dist., defeated Belfry 8-0 in the first round of the region before losing in 10 innings in the semi-finals to eventual regional champion Sheldon Clark.

During the 2005-2006 school year, the boys' basketball team was (5-22) lost in the opening round of the district, and the football team went (2-8) at Allen Central.

Kenneth Johnson does a good job at Allen Central. Last season his team went (23-11) won the dist., defeated Belfry 8-0 in the first round of the region before losing in 10 innings in the semi-finals to eventual regional champion Sheldon Clark.

During the 2005-2006 school year, the boys' basketball team was (5-22) lost in the opening round of the district, and the football team went (2-8) at Allen Central.

Good example.

You're right. And in this case, their district isn't too tough. Corbin got bounced from their district by a Whitley team who was ousted in the first round of region by Knox Central. Give it up for John Smith at Whitley though, he got his team to the tourney. He is also one of those coaches that I considered to be a notch above Garmon.

Whitley County 2005-2006-

Baseball (19-15) District Runner-up to Sect. Champ S. Laurel

Boys' Basketball (6-21) lost in opening round of district

Football (2-8)

What has Corbin done since Garmon took over 5 years ago? Or was it 6?

Garmon's teams have accomplished the following:

2002 - Regional runner-up

2003 - regional runner-up

2004 - lost in the 2nd round of the 13th region

2005 - Region & Semi-state champion

2006 - lost in the district

Garmon is a quality coach but I can think of at least 5 better coaches in the 13th region alone. Head Coaches and assistant coaches.

Corbin didn't make it to the regional tourney last year. When is the last time Middlesboro or Rockcastle didn't make the tourney? Good coaches get their team to the tournament no matter what kind of talent they have.

What was Middlesboro's record against Corbin's district last year(1 win & 4 losses)?