Whos the best coach Southeast KY

THE FAN

Criteria for a good coach......."people development" not player development, not records........not great facilities. For those of you who don't know much about coaching and need to define success based on data.....begin with researching or collecting "scores and records" of young men from this area, who have played professionally....Division 1.....or at any college level for that matter.......secondly, collect "scores and records" on those coaches have helped produce college graduates and successful careers/families......Probably won't take the time to do that......because "sports" reflects the society we live in......which by the way defines success by your salary, house, car, clothes etc. I guess you can define a good coach by.....record, regional championships, or "what have you done lately"...... and I guess success in life can be defined by....whether or not you have the newest/latest plasma T.V. and/or the car that parallel parks on it's own?..........however, I define good coaching and a quality life by love, trust, discipline, committment and several other "corny" things! But that's just me.....what do I know.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Criteria for a good coach......."people development" not player development, not records........not great facilities. For those of you who don't know much about coaching and need to define success based on data.....begin with researching or collecting "scores and records" of young men from this area, who have played professionally....Division 1.....or at any college level for that matter.......secondly, collect "scores and records" on those coaches have helped produce college graduates and successful careers/families......Probably won't take the time to do that......because "sports" reflects the society we live in......which by the way defines success by your salary, house, car, clothes etc. I guess you can define a good coach by.....record, regional championships, or "what have you done lately"...... and I guess success in life can be defined by....whether or not you have the newest/latest plasma T.V. and/or the car that parallel parks on it's own?..........however, I define good coaching and a quality life by love, trust, discipline, committment and several other "corny" things! But that's just me.....what do I know.

If a coach reflects all that you end your post with, the players, for the most part, will reflect those attributes as well. And if a coach exudes these qualities, success will ultimately come.

But let me tell you about the real world... job security depends on W's. Sad, but true.

If a coach reflects all that you end your post with, the players, for the most part, will reflect those attributes as well. And if a coach exudes these qualities, success will ultimately come.

But let me tell you about the real world... job security depends on W's. Sad, but true.

I agree.....if these are qualities of a good coach........then all D-1 recruits should have these traits.......all state champ teams should be loaded with players who have these traits...........IMO a good coach is a person who can turn programs around, who can make bad players good and good players even better. All the time instilling structure in their lives.

W's dont even give job security here..........the board says "how does the baseball team effect test scores?"

Garmon's teams have accomplished the following:

2002 - Regional runner-up

2003 - regional runner-up

2004 - lost in the 2nd round of the 13th region

2005 - Region & Semi-state champion

2006 - lost in the district

He wasn't the coach in 2002. That was Sawyer's last year. He was mad because he had every starter return and still lost to Middlesboro in the regional championship when they started 5 sophomores. However, that is a great example, Powell got that very young Middlesboro team through region, through sectionals, and into the Final Four.

Fact is, Garmon inherited excellent facilities in a baseball crazy town and failed to make the regional tournament last year. And it isn't like they were playing in the 43rd district or something. The region consisted of Williamsburg who was 11-11 in region play, Whitley who was 9-10, and South who was 17-2.

To get to region, Middlesboro has to beat Bell County who was 13-7 in region play and a Cumberland team that was 10-8.

Whitley was no better than Bell County this past year and while Corbin's coaches couldn't get the job done, Middlesboro's coaches did. Despite the fact that Middlesboro had lost to Bell County in their most recent meeting, they came out and beat them 10-0. In my mind, that is great coaching.

Sorry if I offended any Corbin fans. I had several great games with Corbin when I played but I just don't think Garmon is in the elite class of coaches in the Southeast. Just my opinion.

A good baseball coach is......a person who would be a good basketball, football or under water basket weaving coach........he/she is a teacher....someone who can say the same thing a thousand different ways....someone who can identify/relate to a thousand different kinds of kid. Most people (those who rank coaches based on W's) watch a hitting video and suddenly become the next Casey Stengel. Or they keep records on who beat who and what have you done for me lately and suddenly they know who can coach and who can't. Question.......in the past decade, has there been any players from souteastern Kentucky play professionally?.......have their been any play Division one?......if so, who did they play for......maybe those coach's should be considered.

A good baseball coach is......a person who would be a good basketball, football or under water basket weaving coach........he/she is a teacher....someone who can say the same thing a thousand different ways....someone who can identify/relate to a thousand different kinds of kid. Most people (those who rank coaches based on W's) watch a hitting video and suddenly become the next Casey Stengel. Or they keep records on who beat who and what have you done for me lately and suddenly they know who can coach and who can't. Question.......in the past decade, has there been any players from souteastern Kentucky play professionally?.......have their been any play Division one?......if so, who did they play for......maybe those coach's should be considered.
There have been many student-athletes from the Southeastern KY area, that have went on to play D1, DII, DII, JUCO and NAIA....as for professionals, not many even get that chance, much less limited to a geographical area. Not sure I agree on they could coach any sport, as their knowledge of the game and fundamentals, must be in place of that sport. I do agree, to be a great coach communication is a must but not limited to that portion, but to be able to communicate the aspects of Baseball, along with the development of drills, training and practice routines, to refine those skills.

I'm also sensing, you seem a little bitter for some reason...:confused: I personally know many former players, who have gone on to coach and some with varying levels of knowledge but doesn't mean one is more competent than the other, or one is lesser in baseball IQ.

There have been many solid, valid points made by posters, regarding their thoughts and qualifications, as to what makes a good/great coach. I guess the simple answer is, its subjective to the person listening. If the criteria is based off wins, championships, college players, longevity, etc...than an answer can clearly be defined, by searching through the KHSAA records book.

I personally attend meetings, camps, showcases and strive to watch all various forms of media, to improve my baseball and coaching knowledge. I owe that to my players, myself and community.

Don't know if I would want my boys playing for a coach with these skills. :D

Brandon Webb isn't considered a SE KY kid, but he is EKY. And if memory serves me right, Knott Central had a kid back in the the 90's that was, seriously, being looked at by the White Sox. Williams was his last name and he decided to follow the priesthood instead of a career in baseball.

We have a lot of great talent here in the Mountains and, I've said this before and bears repeating, if a kid plays anywhere on the next level, great. DI may not be a fit for a kid that can compete on that level. DIII, JUCO, NAIA, or any community college baseball team should not be looked upon as a coach's failure to be a good coach. A good HS coach brings out talent in those that already have, but don't know how to use it. A good HS coach helps that talented player to get better and to stay focused on their academics. And, a good HS coach will help those players with talent to find a good fit on the next level.

There have been many student-athletes from the Southeastern KY area, that have went on to play D1, DII, DII, JUCO and NAIA....as for professionals, not many even get that chance, much less limited to a geographical area. Not sure I agree on they could coach any sport, as their knowledge of the game and fundamentals, must be in place of that sport. I do agree, to be a great coach communication is a must but not limited to that portion, but to be able to communicate the aspects of Baseball, along with the development of drills, training and practice routines, to refine those skills.

I'm also sensing, you seem a little bitter for some reason...:confused: I personally know many former players, who have gone on to coach and some with varying levels of knowledge but doesn't mean one is more competent than the other, or one is lesser in baseball IQ.

There have been many solid, valid points made by posters, regarding their thoughts and qualifications, as to what makes a good/great coach. I guess the simple answer is, its subjective to the person listening. If the criteria is based off wins, championships, college players, longevity, etc...than an answer can clearly be defined, by searching through the KHSAA records book.

I personally attend meetings, camps, showcases and strive to watch all various forms of media, to improve my baseball and coaching knowledge. I owe that to my players, myself and community.

Great post! :thumb:

Here are some guys who went on to play college ball under Coach Powell at Middlesboro in the past decade:

Glen McDonald 97'- University of Kentucky (DI)

Scott Benson 97'- Campbellsville University (NAIA), Union College (NAIA)

Brad Southern 97'- Hiwassee College (JUCO)

Josh Robinson 99'- Lincoln Memorial University (DII)

David Kelley 99'- Lincoln Memorial University (DII)

Chad Adkins 99'- Alice Lloyd College (NAIA)

Lee Hardin 99'- Cumberland College (NAIA)

Jason Goodman 99'- Cumberland College (NAIA)

Jeremy Skidmore 00'- East Tennessee State Univ. (DI), Union College (NAIA)

Derrick Wynn 00'- Northern Kentucky University (DII), Union College (NAIA)

David Chedester 01'- Greeneville Collge (DIII)

Casey Hatmaker 01'- Lincoln Memorial University (DII)

Brian Powell 02'- University of Kentucky (DI), Georgetown College (NAIA)

Justin Stewart 04'- Cumberland College (NAIA)

Vince Powell 04'- Morehead State University (DI)

Justin Harris 04'- Union College (NAIA)

Josh Burns 04'- Maryville College (DIII), Lincoln Memorial University (DII)

I don't necessarily think that the number of DI players that were produced is as good as indicator of how good a coach a person is as is just the total number of player sent on to play college ball. I feel like an important part of being a great coach is finding a place for you players to extend their career if that is what they want to do. It takes a caring coach to go out of his way and contact college coaches for his players

I also think JD Bussell at Rockcastle is top notch. He seems to be very knowledgable about the game, competes at a high level year in and year out, and does so with a great deal of class.

Excellent insight....however, if few players from southestern Kentucky have an opportunity to play professional baseball and/or Div I, don't you think a coach owes it to himself, his players, and his community to "teach" pride, loyalty and dicipline so his kids eventually become good citizens in the community in which they reside? Maybe a coach like Sawyers who helped build a facility second to none and required his players to be men of character should be considered a GREAT coach! Maybe a coach like Jeff Garmon who maintains that facility and continues in that tradition should be considered a good coach........or maybe they should go to more clinics, watch more video and add to the record books......Most people in society rank success on plasma TV's and cars that parallel park on their own (scoreboard watchers) Hopefully, I have communicated my point that "Success is defined by leaving the world a better place" (facilities; citezens; community).....I think Emerson looked that up in KHSAA!

He wasn't the coach in 2002. That was Sawyer's last year. He was mad because he had every starter return and still lost to Middlesboro in the regional championship when they started 5 sophomores. However, that is a great example, Powell got that very young Middlesboro team through region, through sectionals, and into the Final Four.

Fact is, Garmon inherited excellent facilities in a baseball crazy town and failed to make the regional tournament last year. And it isn't like they were playing in the 43rd district or something. The region consisted of Williamsburg who was 11-11 in region play, Whitley who was 9-10, and South who was 17-2.

To get to region, Middlesboro has to beat Bell County who was 13-7 in region play and a Cumberland team that was 10-8.

Whitley was no better than Bell County this past year and while Corbin's coaches couldn't get the job done, Middlesboro's coaches did. Despite the fact that Middlesboro had lost to Bell County in their most recent meeting, they came out and beat them 10-0. In my mind, that is great coaching.

Sorry if I offended any Corbin fans. I had several great games with Corbin when I played but I just don't think Garmon is in the elite class of coaches in the Southeast. Just my opinion.

Sawyers was a successful coach. When reading over that again I felt like I didn't give him much credit. He took his team to a State Championship game in the early 90s. Very few coaches have done that.

Excellent insight....however, if few players from southestern Kentucky have an opportunity to play professional baseball and/or Div I, don't you think a coach owes it to himself, his players, and his community to "teach" pride, loyalty and dicipline so his kids eventually become good citizens in the community in which they reside? Maybe a coach like Sawyers who helped build a facility second to none and required his players to be men of character should be considered a GREAT coach! Maybe a coach like Jeff Garmon who maintains that facility and continues in that tradition should be considered a good coach........or maybe they should go to more clinics, watch more video and add to the record books......Most people in society rank success on plasma TV's and cars that parallel park on their own (scoreboard watchers) Hopefully, I have communicated my point that "Success is defined by leaving the world a better place" (facilities; citezens; community).....I think Emerson looked that up in KHSAA!
I'm just having a little difficulty, following your meaning. I think a lot of posters, have echoed your sentiments on many points, as I did in post #23. I don't understand the continued references to plasma TV's and vehicles....

I do think many players are getting an opportunity to play college baseball, which is part the coaches obligation, parents, school and player himself to promote. I help promote players to colleges, through a service I have in not only Baseball but other sports. Some have the knowledge to do as coaches, while others are limited but that doesn't take away their ability, to be effective in that craft of coaching but more so, their time allocated to helping that player into a program, must be managed better.

At the same time, most college coaches will consider communication, promotion and information, but they still want to see that player in person, in their camp, surroundings or under their guidance/instruction.

A coach can be a great grounds-keeper and lousy coach...so not sure that argument is valid. The desire to have wonderful facilities, the commitment to maintain them is part of the pride in which you speak, but it takes a large group of people to make a team and a team, can have only one ultimate decision maker, the head coach. Effective staffs, have a solid coaching corps with a head coach, who are working toward the same goal....Improving young men to be better Baseball players and preparing them for the world, which awaits.

I, too, sensed a little bitterness in those posts.

1st year at whitley Smith leads colonels to district championship and regional championship( first time in 37 years) to be ousted by Garmons Hounds. 2nd year at whitley Smith leads colonels past corbin in district( beat them for the first time in 26 years) lost district champ. to South Laurel which made it to State tournament. Once Smith wins that first big game that Whitley hasn't been able to get in years look for that program to be turned around more than Smith has already turned it around. He has redone that facility and in my opinion is as good as any in the state. I would love to play on it every day.

Point: Garmon is one of the top Coaches in SE KY.

Once Smith wins that BIG game, He will be considered more so than he is now. I think he played for one of the top Coaches in SE kY also, Billy Powell (middlesboro)

1st year at whitley Smith leads colonels to district championship and regional championship( first time in 37 years) to be ousted by Garmons Hounds. 2nd year at whitley Smith leads colonels past corbin in district( beat them for the first time in 26 years) lost district champ. to South Laurel which made it to State tournament. Once Smith wins that first big game that Whitley hasn't been able to get in years look for that program to be turned around more than Smith has already turned it around. He has redone that facility and in my opinion is as good as any in the state. I would love to play on it every day.

Point: Garmon is one of the top Coaches in SE KY.

Once Smith wins that BIG game, He will be considered more so than he is now. I think he played for one of the top Coaches in SE kY also, Billy Powell (middlesboro)

I remember watching Whitley play at Pulaski a couple years ago. What happened to that nice little lefty pitcher they had? His name was Taylor, maybe?