• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Garmon's teams have accomplished the following:

2002 - Regional runner-up

2003 - regional runner-up

2004 - lost in the 2nd round of the 13th region

2005 - Region & Semi-state champion

2006 - lost in the district

4 years as head coach. 1 regional tourney,1 runner-up,1 semi-final. I don't think that is a bad resume for 4 years? Maybe my expectations are not as high as some????:confused:

Here are some guys who went on to play college ball under Coach Powell at Middlesboro in the past decade:

Glen McDonald 97'- University of Kentucky (DI)

Scott Benson 97'- Campbellsville University (NAIA), Union College (NAIA)

Brad Southern 97'- Hiwassee College (JUCO)

Josh Robinson 99'- Lincoln Memorial University (DII)

David Kelley 99'- Lincoln Memorial University (DII)

Chad Adkins 99'- Alice Lloyd College (NAIA)

Lee Hardin 99'- Cumberland College (NAIA)

Jason Goodman 99'- Cumberland College (NAIA)

Jeremy Skidmore 00'- East Tennessee State Univ. (DI), Union College (NAIA)

Derrick Wynn 00'- Northern Kentucky University (DII), Union College (NAIA)

David Chedester 01'- Greeneville Collge (DIII)

Casey Hatmaker 01'- Lincoln Memorial University (DII)

Brian Powell 02'- University of Kentucky (DI), Georgetown College (NAIA)

Justin Stewart 04'- Cumberland College (NAIA)

Vince Powell 04'- Morehead State University (DI)

Justin Harris 04'- Union College (NAIA)

Josh Burns 04'- Maryville College (DIII), Lincoln Memorial University (DII)

I don't necessarily think that the number of DI players that were produced is as good as indicator of how good a coach a person is as is just the total number of player sent on to play college ball. I feel like an important part of being a great coach is finding a place for you players to extend their career if that is what they want to do. It takes a caring coach to go out of his way and contact college coaches for his players

I also think JD Bussell at Rockcastle is top notch. He seems to be very knowledgable about the game, competes at a high level year in and year out, and does so with a great deal of class.

Nice list 13th A. Seeing those names brings back some great memories of some great games. Of that list I believe McDonald and Skidmore had the most talent but thats just my opinion. Thats a really talented list. I do have some questions about the D1 signees. How many seasons did McDonald stay at UK? Can you really count Vince in that group? Thought he gave up baseball and only stayed there for the fall semester and then transfered to UK.

Out of that list I think there are some great future head coaches in there. Scott Benson, David Kelley, and Derrick Wynn have all been assistants at some point over the past 4 seasons. I was impressed with all 3 of them. They know the game but most of all, they were really good with the kids and brought some intensity and focus into the dugout.

As far as current coaches go, in the 13th Region it's not even close. Once you take into consideration, knowledge of the game, care about the kids, ability to develop talent, giving opportunites for summer play, connections with college coaches and the willingness to help a kid find a place to play after high school, John Smith from Whitley Co. wins hands down.

There were several on the list that didn't stay for a baseball career but the point was that Coach Powell assisted them into getting in the position to play college ball. Just because they didn't continue to play didn't mean they didn't have the talent to. Glen McDonald didn't play a whole semester, Skidmore quit at ETSU after just a few months, Brian Powell suffered a pretty bad injury and thought he may be better suited for Georgetown, Vince Powell never fully recovered from his wrist injury and thought it was time to give it up, and Justin Stewart played one season and sustained an injury and is now a student at UK.

Like I mentioned before, my post was simply showing that yes, players from southeast Kentucky have gotten a chance to play DI and college baseball in general and that the key to that was having a good coach in Coach Powell.

Excellent insight....however, if few players from southestern Kentucky have an opportunity to play professional baseball and/or Div I, don't you think a coach owes it to himself, his players, and his community to "teach" pride, loyalty and dicipline so his kids eventually become good citizens in the community in which they reside? Maybe a coach like Sawyers who helped build a facility second to none and required his players to be men of character should be considered a GREAT coach! Maybe a coach like Jeff Garmon who maintains that facility and continues in that tradition should be considered a good coach........or maybe they should go to more clinics, watch more video and add to the record books......Most people in society rank success on plasma TV's and cars that parallel park on their own (scoreboard watchers) Hopefully, I have communicated my point that "Success is defined by leaving the world a better place" (facilities; citezens; community).....I think Emerson looked that up in KHSAA!

Coach Sawyers(Corbin) taught his kids to respect their opponents, coaches, umpires, teammates and the game itself above winning. I recall one year when he dismissed his two best pitchers from the team a few days before the regional tournament(when they were the favorite) for violating a team rule. It probably cost his team a regional title, but I'm sure that in the long run that many kids benefitted from his strict discipline. Coach Garmon expects the same from the Corbin players today. You won't see any taunting of the other team or throwing bats, etc. that I witness from some of the other teams from the area coming from the Corbin players.

Those that have been mentioned above are really good coaches from the 14th region I think.

Some that I'd like to add are:

Ashland Blazer - Jeff Wilcox

Raceland - Randy Vanderhoof

Lawrence County - Randy Keeton

Pikeville - Steve Priode

Paintsville - Tucker Howard

Rockcastle County - J.D. Bussell

Corbin - Jeff Garmon

North Laurel - Darren McWhorter

Somerset - Phillip Grundy

Southwestern - Rodney McAninch

Bell County - Tommy Greer

Hazard - John Meehan

Johnson Central - Shawn Hall

Pulaski County - Scott McAninchh

East Carter - Jeremiah Shearer

Perry County Central - Bobby Keith Dixon

First of all Ashland , Raceland, Lawrence County and East Carter are not Southeast KY, but since you brought it up, kinda hard to leave Ben from Boyd County out of the mix. He did coach Boyd to wins over about every team listed in our area and had his time at Applebees Park, where he didnt see much of this teams there.:thumb:

• 3 weeks later...

Coach Smith will have his hands full during the 2007 season..He lost 7 seniors this past year and will be playing with a really young team. I suppose he will get to put those great coaching skills to work...If anybody can do it, I would place my bets on Smith.

Coach Sawyers(Corbin) taught his kids to respect their opponents, coaches, umpires, teammates and the game itself above winning. I recall one year when he dismissed his two best pitchers from the team a few days before the regional tournament(when they were the favorite) for violating a team rule. It probably cost his team a regional title, but I'm sure that in the long run that many kids benefitted from his strict discipline. Coach Garmon expects the same from the Corbin players today. You won't see any taunting of the other team or throwing bats, etc. that I witness from some of the other teams from the area coming from the Corbin players.

Both can be proud of their records on the field also. For years it was the big three in the 13th Corbin, Middlseboro,and The Rock. Adding Coach Smith and South to the 50th has made it a bear. A good team and coach will get left home at region time. Williamsburg has two pitchers capable of beating any team in that district in shelley and Witt. Coach Strickland had them in Lexington for the All A tw0 yearas ago. I'm sure he would trade districts with anybody in the 13th.

• 3 months later...

Tim Melton from Knox Central should be added to the list! He lost 7 seniors last year, which all started, and he has came up with some big wins this year from the younger guys, like South Laurel, Middlesboro,Whitley, basically all the 50th district. They play Corbin in not two long.