2007 Hall of Fame ballot

Now this will heat up the airwaves and the Internet with debate.

Who would you cast your votes for?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AgNYP5Sxj57_9XSKbHpO3fERvLYF?slug=ap-halloffameballot&prov=ap&type=lgns

The complete ballot:

Harold Baines, Albert Belle, Dante Bichette, Bert Blyleven, Bobby Bonilla, Scott Brosius, Jay Buhner, Ken Caminiti, Jose Canseco, Dave Concepcion, Eric Davis, Andre Dawson, Tony Fernandez, Steve Garvey, Rich "Goose" Gossage, Tony Gwynn, Orel Hershiser, Tommy John, Wally Joyner, Don Mattingly, Mark McGwire, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Paul O'Neill, Dave Parker, Jim Rice, Cal Ripken Jr., Bret Saberhagen, Lee Smith, Alan Trammell, Devon White, Bobby Witt.

I believe the writer's get to name 10. So let's go with that. What ten would you vote for?

Mine in order are:

1 Tony Gwynn

2 Cal Ripkin Jr.

3 Lee Smith

4 Mark McGwire

5 Goose Gossage

6 Jim Rice

7 Dave Parker

8 Bert Byleven

9 Davey Concepion

10 Andre Dawson

I am curious to see if S3's choices are all starting pitchers.:D

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is going to be known as the Steroid Watershed event. Let McGwire in and you have to let Sosa and Bonds in. Quite possibly Palmeiro may get a sniff. If they do not vote McGwire in, it sets a tone for the whole generation of hitters who were linked with 'roid use.

Harold Baines, Albert Belle, Dante Bichette, Bert Blyleven, Bobby Bonilla, Scott Brosius, Jay Buhner, Ken Caminiti, Jose Canseco, Dave Concepcion, Eric Davis, Andre Dawson, Tony Fernandez, Steve Garvey, Rich "Goose" Gossage, Tony Gwynn, Orel Hershiser, Tommy John, Wally Joyner, Don Mattingly, Mark McGwire, Jack Morris, Dale Murphy, Paul O'Neill, Dave Parker, Jim Rice, Cal Ripken Jr., Bret Saberhagen, Lee Smith, Alan Trammell, Devon White, Bobby Witt.[/i]

I believe the writer's get to name 10. So let's go with that. What ten would you vote for?

I am curious to see if S3's choices are all starting pitchers.:D

....:lol: Gotta give them starters their props, whenever I can.

In no particular order, but my "Top 10"..

Bert Blyleven

Dave Concepcion

Andre Dawson

Steve Garvey

Rich Gossage

Tony Gwynn

Jim Rice

Cal Ripken JR

Lee Smith

Jack Morris

....I would vote for Mark McGwire, Dale Murphy and Dave Parker, next in that order.

This is going to be known as the Steroid Watershed event. Let McGwire in and you have to let Sosa and Bonds in. Quite possibly Palmeiro may get a sniff. If they do not vote McGwire in, it sets a tone for the whole generation of hitters who were linked with 'roid use.
Goes back to "innocent, until proven guilty". If you start excluding everyone, that could be on performance enhancements....don't limit it to the HR hitters, but pitchers that doctor the ball, cork bats and everyone.

1. Ripken

2. Gwynn

Those are no-brainers and will be elected in their first year of eligibility.

3. Rice

His run of 382, 406 and 369 total bases in 1977, 1978 and 1979 were amazing.

4. Dawson

The Hawk won ROY and an MVP, was MVP runner-up twice. 438 HR and 1591 RBI for a lot of poor teams gets my vote.

5. Smith

6. Goose

I stop there. I wouldn't vote for 10 just because that's how many I'm allowed.

Garvey, Murphy, Mattingly and Tommy John would probably be in the next cohort.

McGwire does not get my vote the first time around, but would next year. I don't think he should be kept out of the HOF for an extended period of time, because it's apparent that MLB looked the other way when he, Sosa, Bonds, etc. were putting up eye-popping power numbers. BRADY ANDERSON hit 50 homers in a season, for crying out loud. I just wouldn't vote for MM the first year.

1. Ripken

2. Gwynn

Those are no-brainers and will be elected in their first year of eligibility.

3. Rice

His run of 382, 406 and 369 total bases in 1977, 1978 and 1979 were amazing.

4. Dawson

The Hawk won ROY and an MVP, was MVP runner-up twice. 438 HR and 1591 RBI for a lot of poor teams gets my vote.

5. Smith

6. Goose

I stop there. I wouldn't vote for 10 just because that's how many I'm allowed.

Garvey, Murphy, Mattingly and Tommy John would probably be in the next cohort.

McGwire does not get my vote the first time around, but would next year. I don't think he should be kept out of the HOF for an extended period of time, because it's apparent that MLB looked the other way when he, Sosa, Bonds, etc. were putting up eye-popping power numbers. BRADY ANDERSON hit 50 homers in a season, for crying out loud. I just wouldn't vote for MM the first year.

Because he gets better after a year of not playing?:confused:

Because he gets better after a year of not playing?:confused:

Nope, because of the fiasco testifying before Congress. If I get to vote, I can justify my vote however I want. Strike3 has it correct - he's not a first ballot Hall-of-Famer for me. I'm sure others will see it differently.

Per the posts on this thread, only about half vote for McGwire the first time around. It will be interesting if this is the thinking of the voters this year. Maybe a few folks will think something like this - "McGwire has the power numbers even if his batting average is under par, but I didn't really like the way he handled the whole steroid testifying thing. Maybe I'll wait on him and finally vote for Dawson or Rice, who have been jobbed for so many years."

My gut tells me that he gets in the first time around; if for no other reason than the fact that it wasn't only the sluggers that were juicing; pitchers did it too. But he'd have to wait until year 2 to get my vote.

PS - If no one got better in the eyes of the voters after their first year of eligibility, there would only be first ballot HOFers. Doesn't work that way.

Nope, because of the fiasco testifying before Congress. If I get to vote, I can justify my vote however I want. Strike3 has it correct - he's not a first ballot Hall-of-Famer for me. I'm sure others will see it differently.

Per the posts on this thread, only about half vote for McGwire the first time around. It will be interesting if this is the thinking of the voters this year. Maybe a few folks will think something like this - "McGwire has the power numbers even if his batting average is under par, but I didn't really like the way he handled the whole steroid testifying thing. Maybe I'll wait on him and finally vote for Dawson or Rice, who have been jobbed for so many years."

My gut tells me that he gets in the first time around; if for no other reason than the fact that it wasn't only the sluggers that were juicing; pitchers did it too. But he'd have to wait until year 2 to get my vote.

PS - If no one got better in the eyes of the voters after their first year of eligibility, there would only be first ballot HOFers. Doesn't work that way.

....:thumb: Well said McPapa

I think Gywnn and Ripken, JR are "first ballot", no-doubters. Time for Lee Smith and Gossage, to get their nod.

Goes back to "innocent, until proven guilty". If you start excluding everyone, that could be on performance enhancements....don't limit it to the HR hitters, but pitchers that doctor the ball, cork bats and everyone.

I agree, but you and I do not have votes. In addition, these voters aren't on a jury. Their votes are not made public, therefore they do not have to explain their votes. You and I may hope that they would not punish a person that never tested positive, but a lot of voters could trust their "eye exam" for lack of a better term. I truly believe that voters do not vote on just the merits of what a hall-of-fame career is, but, also, on what merits a hall-of-fame person. They should be seperate, but as we have seen, they are not.

If Gaylord Perry is in the HOF, then the writers who voted for him have no ground to stand on in excluding Mark McGuire IMHO. You let one cheater that has not been proven to be a cheater in then you have to let in another cheater that HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN TO BE A CHEATER.

I think Gwynn and Ripken are no-brainers.

I think Byleven, Gossage and Smith are overdue for the honor.

To me, Parker, Rice and Dawson are no different. You support one and the other two are basically the same player.

I agree, but you and I do not have votes. In addition, these voters aren't on a jury. Their votes are not made public, therefore they do not have to explain their votes. You and I may hope that they would not punish a person that never tested positive, but a lot of voters could trust their "eye exam" for lack of a better term. I truly believe that voters do not vote on just the merits of what a hall-of-fame career is, but, also, on what merits a hall-of-fame person. They should be separate, but as we have seen, they are not.
Understand your point, but most fans and viewers only suspect the "larger" framed, size HR hitters for performance enhancements and not the leaner style bodies, including pitchers which have been confirmed positive in recent tests the last few years.

So if the HOF selection process, is based off size and power, several may get excluded who are worthy, some overlooked but nothing to confirm either.

If he is voted out because of that issue then you have opened a whole new can of worms for all the other issues scuch as foreign substance, cork or rubber bats, and othe roff the field issues... All the current issues have really placed a blanket over most of the achievements and makes it tough for the people who vote for the awards. It seems to be a no win situation for all parties.