Trouble in Ashland already?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If none of these guys were going to play then who is?

Don't forget that the stud freshman from Covington is gone also.

I don't think this should reflect negatively on Coach Biggs. The common Denominator is kids. In general todays youth lack commitment.

14-16 players. I know of 4 seniors, 4 sophmores, 2 juniors, who are the rest?

McDavid,Wilcox,Rose,Salyers(seniors) Thomas, Coleman,Fairchild(juniors) Bowling,Rowe,Plank,Bonner,Baldock(sophmores). I believe that will be the varsity roster this year.

I wonder if you polled the Ashland faithful if their sentiment would be towards Momcat or GIAT. Or more likely, somewhere in the middle of peril and hunky-dorry! IMO, Ashland should do very well with Matt, Drew and co. this season. The only thing I'd be concerned with if I were an Ashlander is the future of the program and #s, at least quality #s. It isn't nor will be the fault of the coach if you can't get kids out. (See Boyd Co. football in years past) I don't think the issue was with the former coach either. I agree with Rickyp that kids these days are not committed. And many fans possibly should be committed :D

Just yesterday I heard a local cheerleading coach remark that "Girls used to want to be cheerleaders. Now they just want to hang out with friends and dont really even care about their appearance anymore". I think this is becoming the case everywhere, in every sport, with todays youth. If you have to point a finger at someone for the lackadaisical attitude of kids today then you should look to their parents, not a coach.

Sad but true. Actually, it is a malady running throughout our society. Too many expect instant gratification with a minimum of effort. There is too much emphasis on "rights" and too little on "responsibility".

It would be difficult to be a high school coach in the present atmosphere. George Conley, Bob Wright, Paul Patterson, and The Baron would never put up with what coaches put up with today.

It would be difficult to be a high school coach in the present atmosphere. George Conley, Bob Wright, Paul Patterson, and The Baron would never put up with what coaches put up with today.
Man... you definitely hit the nail on the head SB. :thumb:

It's not just the kids, but many of the parents too.

Ashland has 7 sophomores, 4 juniors and 4 seniors on their roster. In addition to his theier are 11 on the frosh roster. All 26 kids in the program seem to be good kids, students, and there are some good (maybe not great players) players to work with. 22 of them return next year along with 15 incoming 8th graders who will be 9th graders. Will all of them continue the committment? probably not, but there will be plenty to choose from. 4 out of the 5 kids who quit never even came out. Not sure you call that quitting. They just chose not to play anymore. nothing wrong with that. Trouble? one kid has quit who actaully came out for the team. How is that trouble. Let's see what happens before we jump to conclusions. :p

Sad but true. Actually, it is a malady running throughout our society. Too many expect instant gratification with a minimum of effort. There is too much emphasis on "rights" and too little on "responsibility".

:thumb:

Can anyone give an honest appraisal of the talent remaining on the team at Ashland? Is it realistic for GIAT to be hinting at "championships" or is this really looking through maroon glasses? I know they have Thomas, Wilcox, and McDavid but is there really anyone else with good talent? Also, the younger players appear to be fairly sparce on potential.

Biggs may be a good coach but he needs material to build his "machine" particularly when Russell, Elliott County, and a couple of others are ready for the battle.

I can give a honest appraisal ,Bonner ,Bowling , Baldock ,Rowe and Plank all have great potential. All grew up playing AAU BB ,thats right they where with Euton before Euton made the RH move. Now dont get me wrong none of them dressed Varsity as 6th graders or have been held back. But they all have worked their butts off on the Basketball Court. So just keep overlooking them and they will fine.:thumb:

I think that what you are seeing here is the natural process that occurs at every school. 35 years ago, it wasn't that unusual for every school to have three or four kids that played all three varsity sports, and do well at them.

In this day and age, that is pretty rare, unless the individual is a bluechip athlete, or it is a relatively small school.

I said in another thread that Euton (at Rose Hill) had the potential to be an EXCELLENT lineman in football, had he stayed with it. He chose, at a relatively early age, to concentrate on basketball. Looking at where he is right now, it would be hard to argue that decision. As has been stated several times in this thread, three of the boys that aren't playing basketball made that choice before Buddy Biggs was even named as the new coach.

I hate to say it, but just yesterday, Li'l Frances (we call him Frank) told me that he decided that he doesn't want to play baseball this year. As much as I'd like to see him stay with it, life will go on. He made this decision so that he could concentrate on improving his speed (such as it is), work on the weights, prepare for HS football as an incoming freshman, and work on basketball.

C'est la vie.

Whatever decision these kids make, I know that their parents will support them, and that is what really counts in the big picture.

For what it's worth, I have it from an excellent source that Biggs stopped one of these young men in the hallway at school, and asked if he was going to come out for basketball. When the young man replied that he simply wanted to work on football, Biggs responded by telling him that he would have liked to see him play, but that he respected his decision, and supported him.

That's tough to do, when you are talking to a kid that can have an impact on your program. To handle it as Biggs' did shows that he is every bit as classy as we have been led to believe.

Frances

I can give a honest appraisal ,Bonner ,Bowling , Baldock ,Rowe and Plank all have great potential. All grew up playing AAU BB ,thats right they where with Euton before Euton made the RH move. Now dont get me wrong none of them dressed Varsity as 6th graders or have been held back. But they all have worked their butts off on the Basketball Court. So just keep overlooking them and they will fine.:thumb:

Thank you for the "honest appraisal". Your glowing report, which included the overused word of "great", is certainly unlike other "honest appraisals" that I have heard on the subject at hand. Also, I noted with amusement your less than subtle dig at Euton and Rose Hill. Of course those you named did cut down the nets after "winning" last year's freshman AIT, didn't they?

Let me add Coach James A. Anderson to my list of coaches who would never put up with the present climate in high school athletics. Would you agree, GIAT?