Trouble in Ashland already?

Can anyone give an honest appraisal of the talent remaining on the team at Ashland? Is it realistic for GIAT to be hinting at "championships" or is this really looking through maroon glasses? I know they have Thomas, Wilcox, and McDavid but is there really anyone else with good talent? Also, the younger players appear to be fairly sparce on potential.

Biggs may be a good coach but he needs material to build his "machine" particularly when Russell, Elliott County, and a couple of others are ready for the battle.

That's what i was trying to get at. Of course McDavid, Wilcox, Thomas are great players with a lot of experience but behind them they're really lacking in talent and depth and it's never a good sign to see so much young talent quit this early and i dont think you can blame Biggs, he seems like a great person and a great coach.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll go ahead a make a few predictions.

#1. If Ashland plays poorly you will get on here and talk about how mad and embarrassed you are.

#2. If Ashland plays poorly you will initiate the "silent treatment" to all of the threads that pertain to games involving any rival that might happen to be superior to Ashland.

#3. If Ashland plays poorly you will change your avatar midway through the season to coach Wilcox and proudly proclaim and crown him the latest and greatest to wear the highly coveted title of "my boy".

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'll go ahead a make a few predictions.

#1. If Ashland plays poorly you will get on here and talk about how mad and embarrassed you are.

#2. If Ashland plays poorly you will initiate the "silent treatment" to all of the threads that pertain to games involving any rival that might happen to be superior to Ashland.

#3. If Ashland plays poorly you will change your avatar midway through the season to coach Wilcox and proudly proclaim and crown him the latest and greatest to wear the highly coveted title of "my boy".

:lol: I dont like baseball.

Momcat, you have some of your "facts" incorrect. The first 4 players you mentioned "McDavid, Burns, McLeod, and Plank did not play JV as freshmen. After the freshman season ended a couple of them (McDavid, Baldock, maybe a couple others) moved up and played 2 or 3 games with the JV. I know for a fact that McDavid and Burns had decided a LONG TIME AGO to focus on football and not play basketball. This is not news to anyone who knows anything at Ashland. It is my understanding that Limpach could not cut it during conditioning, and that Sutphin was just flat out cut from the team. In my opinion neither would have played any quality minutes this year, or next year for that matter. As for Bonner and Burns neither would have played a significant amount, especially after sitting out last season. Things are fine and everyone on the team is excited about the season, and that is all that matters. I have talked to some of the players and they are really enjoying Coach Biggs and they expect to have a championship year. :thumb: If you want to know anything else just ask me.

If none of these guys were going to play then who is?

Don't forget that the stud freshman from Covington is gone also.

I don't think this should reflect negatively on Coach Biggs. The common Denominator is kids. In general todays youth lack commitment.

14-16 players. I know of 4 seniors, 4 sophmores, 2 juniors, who are the rest?

You're right. Hardwork and pride in the community are definitely two of my best characterisitcs, Im glad you noticed, thanks for the compliments. :thumb:

It's about time kudos were brought forth for doing the endless , thankless job. But, lets not forget to honor the lineage in this endeavor as well. It's all about Breeding , Breeding , Breeding. :thumb:

What would we do without those father figures to make a difference in our lives?

:lol: I dont like baseball.
Shame on you....:D

If players are choosing to not play a sport but rather focus on another one, why is that "trouble" for....I don't follow.

I know of several schools, were student-athletes are focusing on a specific sport for various reason from possible college scholarships, no time off between sports any more, to skills diminishing, style of play.

If players from previous years choose not to participate, than I wish them well but it doesn't always lead to being "trouble", unless some like it stirred up constantly.

I don't think this should reflect negatively on Coach Biggs. The common Denominator is kids. In general todays youth lack commitment.
....:thumb:

If players are choosing to not play a sport but rather focus on another one, why is that "trouble" for....I don't follow.

I know of several schools, were student-athletes are focusing on a specific sport for various reason from possible college scholarships, no time off between sports any more, to skills diminishing, style of play.

If players from previous years choose not to participate, than I wish them well but it doesn't always lead to being "trouble", unless some like it stirred up constantly.

You hit the nail right on the head STRIKE3.

The only other way that this would be trouble would be if the coach had an agenda with a player, as far as not giving a kid a fair chance. And with Buddy Biggs I know that is not the case because he is a first class coach and an even better person.

I wonder if you polled the Ashland faithful if their sentiment would be towards Momcat or GIAT. Or more likely, somewhere in the middle of peril and hunky-dorry! IMO, Ashland should do very well with Matt, Drew and co. this season. The only thing I'd be concerned with if I were an Ashlander is the future of the program and #s, at least quality #s. It isn't nor will be the fault of the coach if you can't get kids out. (See Boyd Co. football in years past) I don't think the issue was with the former coach either. I agree with Rickyp that kids these days are not committed. And many fans possibly should be committed :D

You hit the nail right on the head STRIKE3.

The only other way that this would be trouble would be if the coach had an agenda with a player, as far as not giving a kid a fair chance. And with Buddy Biggs I know that is not the case because he is a first class coach and an even better person.

I've never met Coach Biggs personally but I have communicated with him several times, regarding participation in a tournament I do.

He seemed first class.

Programs seem to go in cycles also. When one sport is excelling, often participation is down in others, since many of those athletes play multiple sports. Ashland has tremendous basketball history and unrivaled success, in the state and I hope they continue.

I wonder if you polled the Ashland faithful if their sentiment would be towards Momcat or GIAT. Or more likely, somewhere in the middle of peril and hunky-dorry! IMO, Ashland should do very well with Matt, Drew and co. this season. The only thing I'd be concerned with if I were an Ashlander is the future of the program and #s, at least quality #s. It isn't nor will be the fault of the coach if you can't get kids out. (See Boyd Co. football in years past) I don't think the issue was with the former coach either. I agree with Rickyp that kids these days are not committed. And many fans possibly should be committed :D

Exactly what im talking about...