Time to wash the laundry out of BCS discussion

gametime

IMO, UL had better hammer Rutgers tonight if they want to ensure a spot in the BCS title game. If they only win by 7 to 10 pts. I think it would put them in jeopardy of maybe being looked over for a one loss team. I'm not sure the rest of the nation is sold on UL just yet. Blowing out SUNJ on the road would most likely seal the deal IMO.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, UL had better hammer Rutgers tonight if they want to ensure a spot in the BCS title game. If they only win by 7 to 10 pts. I think it would put them in jeopardy of maybe being looked over for a one loss team. I'm not sure the rest of the nation is sold on UL just yet. Blowing out SUNJ on the road would most likely seal the deal IMO.

Keep in mind...that regardless of human thought...the PC's love Rutgers right now...A win, no matter what the score, will impress the PC's...bet on that.

Rutgers is undefeated and ranked in the top 25. Louisville can win by one and be fine so long as Rutgers loses no more than one game after Louisville.

I don't buy the whole Florida has been more lucky than good garbage one bit. If that were the case, then I guess we could say that UofL was lucky against WV because if Slayton doesn't fumble, and the punter doesn't kick the ball the complete opposite side of the coverage WV very easily coulda won the game.

:thumb: :thumb:

The better lucky than good argument is resting only HALF on the TO's, there's also the fact that deep into the season, with no excuse on hand, Florida is playing in close games agaisnt teams that they shouldn't be like Vanderbilt and Georgia.

Let's face it, Florida has 'underperformed' a lot this season. Just look at a few games involving Florida, Kentucky, Georgia and Auburn:

Florida struggled with Kentucky, loses to Auburn and let Geogia stay in the game. Kentucky beats Georgia, and Auburn- in our very own SEC friendly BGP prediction thread- is expected to ROLL Georgia. What does all of this say about Florida? It's not good. Although Kentucky is an improved team, no denying it, Florida should be a cut above. Georgia is plain bad this season, and Auburn should roll them... but why couldn't Florida?

I say it's because they aren't that great. Every team is allowed an abberation or two if they take care of business, but at some point you have to look at Florida and say that it's just not an uncommon occurance for them to play like a mediocre team.

Does anyone know what Miami's situation when they first won the national chanpionship in 1983 or 1984, I think it was? (Howard Schnellenberger was the coach.) I believe they defeated then mighty Nebraska in the title game on a Husker missed 2-point conversion at the buzzer. I recall Miami being a vast underdog and coming into the title game with little or no respect, being an "urban" school with no distinguished past. However, they prevailed.

Many want to look at UL the same way. I can understand those who are playing the disrespect "Card" but I also think that the gap between the "power" conferences and the others is narrowing quite rapidly, due in part to the scholarship restrictions.

Didn't BYU share in a national title in the 80's? Not necesarily a school that inspires fear. Those greedy university administrators who set up the BCS may now be getting bit in the rear. Wasn't the BCS set up to put to rest arguments like this and take human bias out of the selection process? It doesn't sound like it's working.

Didn't BYU share in a national title in the 80's? Not necesarily a school that inspires fear. Those greedy university administrators who set up the BCS may now be getting bit in the rear. Wasn't the BCS set up to put to rest arguments like this and take human bias out of the selection process? It doesn't sound like it's working.

I think Boise State is in the same boat. They deserve their shot, but none of the big shots would even consider scheduling them. Nothing to gain, too much to lose sort of thing. The only major conference team that would play them was the Oregon State team that beat USC and they got hammered by Boise. A tournament is really the only way that makes sense as far as good football. But (to use a bad analogy and allusive Casablanca paraphrase) even though I have some sympathy for the fox, I can understand the point of view of the hound too. There's to much money to be lost and money is what keeps sports alive in this country.

Rutgers is undefeated and ranked in the top 25. Louisville can win by one and be fine so long as Rutgers loses no more than one game after Louisville.

I think Rutgers will be outed tonight, and exposed for what they really are. They are undefeated but their opponets are only 34-39. I would look for them to fall pretty far in the polls after tongiht.

What to me is more telling than their opponets combined records is who their opponets have beaten:

Big East

UConn (twice), Pitt, Cincinnnati, Syracuse

BCS

Illinois, North Carolina, Indiana, Michigan St., Virginia, Duke, Stanford

Others

C. Flordia (twice), Furman, E. Illinois, UT-Martin, N. Illinois, W. Michigan, Buffalo, C. Michigan, Kent St., Fort Valley St., NC A&T, Norfolk St., McNease St., Flordia Int., E. Carolina, UMass, Airforce, The Citadel, Toledo, Rhode Island, and Army.

Maybe I'll have some crow to eat, but I really believe that the score tonight will be pretty similar to what it was last year. SUNJ might as well paint a bird at midfield and stomp on it, because the Cards are going to treat them as if they had tonight.

I don't buy the whole Florida has been more lucky than good garbage one bit. If that were the case, then I guess we could say that UofL was lucky against WV because if Slayton doesn't fumble, and the punter doesn't kick the ball the complete opposite side of the coverage WV very easily coulda won the game.

Not really, U of L would've stayed full throttle to ensure the victory.

I will give you the CAL win as being a good one...otherwise the OOC's are mundane at best...certainly not better than U of L's KState or Miami wins.

Look at the 6 losses the SEC suffered to other BCS teams:

Vandy loses to Michigan

Ole Miss loses to Missouri and W.Forest

Miss St loses to W.Virginia

Kentucky loses to Louisville

Arkansas loses to USC

Which of those would you figure for a win? All these were expected or at least very probable losses....You won't see that many quality non conference wins, because, as rugged as the conference is, teams aren't going to schedule strong non-conference schedules and they still year in and year out, have some of the highest strength of schedule ratings out there..Florida is a prime example..UL, on the other hand, needs to schedule 2 or 3 of the BCS conference teams like K.State, Miami, Kentucky, to get the same recognition and SOS boost as the SEC teams already have...I give UL credit, they, IMO, have done everything they can do to put themselves in the position they're in and deserve a shot, should they go undefeated, but, there is no way, no how the BEast even comes close to the SEC in the Power ratings...

^ That's all fine and dandy that the Big East won't rate as high as the Big East....BUT the SEC top dogs will have to schedule better OOC games if they want the championship.....otherwise they will be left to complain about the nightmare that they helped create.

Every year there are teams that do not get the respect that they deserve. In UL and Rutgers situation it seems to be happening again this year. No one argues these are not good teams. I believe that in a tougher conference Big10/11, SEC or even PAC 10 they would still be very good teams just not undefeated teams as is currently the case. Comparing scores from common opponents is an assinine way to compare to teams if you know anything at all about football. The issue isn't is the SEC down so you can downgrade those teams with 1 loss. The issue is does anyone really think UL, WV or Rutgers would be undefeated in one of the power conferences this late in the year. NO WAY, while not great every team is able to play and capable of beating each other at some point in the year. You have to come out full bore every week or you can get yours handed to you.

Congats to UL on a great season and may it continue, but don't think for one minute that you would definately be in the same position if you were in a conf with more than 1 or 2 capable teams. Go play Texas, A&M, Oklahoma and Nebraska every year and see how many times you would be undefeated or Auburn, LSU, Florida, UT, and UGA. IT JUST WOULD NOT HAPPEN.:argue:

As long as the powers that be (read conferences like the SEC) refuse to start a playoff then these "discussions" will continue. The bottom lie is that so far Louisville has met the criteria set by the powers that be to be considered for inclusion in the championship game and that is not arguable.

And to the second post don't think for one minute that Louisville would definitely NOT be undefeated in one of the other conferences. Until those team have enough courage to step it up on the field we will never know will we.

^ That's all fine and dandy that the Big East won't rate as high as the Big East....BUT the SEC top dogs will have to schedule better OOC games if they want the championship.....otherwise they will be left to complain about the nightmare that they helped create.

Thats incorrect...As I said, strength of schedule is always high in the SEC without playing tough non conference schedules...The problem the SEC has is that its rare to see an undefeated SEC team because you're playing tough games every week in your conference...You can bet if theres an undefeated SEC team, 9 times out of 10, that team will be in the National Championship game...The issue UL is having now, be it fair or unfair, doesn't happen in the SEC....

Thats incorrect...As I said, strength of schedule is always high in the SEC without playing tough non conference schedules...The problem the SEC has is that its rare to see an undefeated SEC team because you're playing tough games every week in your conference...You can bet if theres an undefeated SEC team, 9 times out of 10, that team will be in the National Championship game...The issue UL is having now, be it fair or unfair, doesn't happen in the SEC....

If SOS is your argument, the Pac 10 reigns supreme this year...