Is Todd Frazier the Umpire's Public Enemy #1?

Bizarre scene yesterday in New York. Frazier hit a walk off homer to win the game. As he came around third and went to jump on home plate, Tom Hallion, the home plate umpire, was standing directly in the center of the plate and did not move. Frazier gingerly touched home plate and maneuvered around Hallion to celebrate with his team. There was nothing from earlier in the game that would have brought on this awkward encounter. Was it related to the incident last week where Frazier dove into the stands after a foul ball and made what appeared to be an amazing catch. He later admitted that when he landed he saw another ball on the ground, picked it up, and pretended he made the catch. Could Hallion have been sending a message about showing up the umpires? Bizarre whatever the reason.

This Todd Frazier-Umpire Standoff Was Weird; Is It Umpires’ Revenge? | MLB | NESN.com

I think the umpires 20 years ago were much worse than now. First, I think technology has made the umpires much better calling balls and strikes. They know EVERYONE watching can see on TV whether the ball was really a strike or not so it forces them to really be on their game and they get real feedback on what is a ball and what is a strike. They are certainly not perfect...but I remember back in the day Greg Maddux literally having pitches called strikes that were 6-8 inches off the plate. That almost never happens now. Replay of plays in the field really helps relations between players/managers and umpires. Rather than argue, you can just go to replay. Joe West and Tom Hallion are certainly old school guys that seem to think they are the show. I think most of the newer generation of umpires actually have better demeanors than some of the older guys. The umpire's union used to be very strong...not so much now IMO.