Highlands 3 Covington Catholic 2 (9th Region Finals)

I was not at the game, but Krumps intentionally walking two hitters to load the bases in the 7th is the right call in my opinion. Allows you to play your middle infield at double play depth instead of in for a play at the plate that opens more holes for a ground ball to get through the infield. Makes for an easier force play at the plate on a ball hit to the corners vs a more difficult tag play. Result wasn't what they wanted, but it was the right call.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beagle made two key plays to extend the game for the Colonels in the 7th.

On the triple by Kavanaugh there was a bad throw from deep right-center that ended up in short LF. Had he not been paying attention Kavanaugh would have scored on the error.

He then made a diving catch on a sinking liner with bases loaded and almost doubled up Kavanaugh at third.

Wasn't there and wondered about this play. Saw video of the C slamming his facemask down after Gulley hit the ball, so he obviously thought it was a hit.

A - could Kavanaugh have tried to tag up and score on the play? Not sure how deep it was, but reportedly it was tailing away (toward the LF foul line I presume) and the LF had to dive. Given Kavanaugh's speed, I'd think you'd need a great throw to get him.

B - your comment that "almost doubled up Kavanaugh at third" answers A. However, and I realize these are very young kids, what in the heck is Kavanaugh doing off 3B in that situation? If it gets down, you're scoring. If it's caught, you need to be on the bag to potentially tag up. Maybe he thought it could potentially be fielded on a short hop and he wanted extra lead to make sure he could score. (In reality, he was probably just very excited when the ball was hit and had the natural reaction to get down the line until he realized it might get caught.)

Congrats to JB. 4 in a row in a single elimination format for a sport not well-suited to that is remarkable. He built it the right way and now has a "monster" program that everyone wants to be involved in.

Good coach. Better man. Remarkably fortunate to have had my son coached by him and Dale.

Wasn't there and wondered about this play. Saw video of the C slamming his facemask down after Gulley hit the ball, so he obviously thought it was a hit.

A - could Kavanaugh have tried to tag up and score on the play? Not sure how deep it was, but reportedly it was tailing away (toward the LF foul line I presume) and the LF had to dive. Given Kavanaugh's speed, I'd think you'd need a great throw to get him.

B - your comment that "almost doubled up Kavanaugh at third" answers A. However, and I realize these are very young kids, what in the heck is Kavanaugh doing off 3B in that situation? If it gets down, you're scoring. If it's caught, you need to be on the bag to potentially tag up. Maybe he thought it could potentially be fielded on a short hop and he wanted extra lead to make sure he could score. (In reality, he was probably just very excited when the ball was hit and had the natural reaction to get down the line until he realized it might get caught.)

First let me say Krumps absolutely 100% made the correct decision to walk the bases loaded. They were not however looking to turn 2 in the middle infield. Highlands had two lefties (Gulley and Rom) coming to the plate against the lefty Maile. I take my chances with lefty on lefty everyday of the week. I thought when Gulley hit the line drive that it was ballgame, however Beagle made a great play on the ball, diving headlong to make the catch. If he is not playing shallow it is the game.

As for Kavanaugh at third base, yes he should not have strayed that far from the bag, but he was nowhere close to being doubled off. He like most at the stadium last night thought Gulley's ball was going to get down. IMO had Kavanaugh tagged, he would have made it home because Beagle would have to get to his feet and make a very accurate throw to get him at the plate.

Very good high school game played by two very good teams that each rose to the occasion in a high pressure situation. That is a result of both coaching staffs having their entire benches locked in from the first pitch to the last.

As for Drew Rom, he simply took the game over once he went to the mound. I even said to those around me that if Highlands got the lead, the game was over because CovCath was not going to string multiple hits together against him. Congrats to him on the MVP and to both teams for leaving it all on the field.

Great game. Rom was spectacular. Yes, Kavanaugh would have likely scored, had he tagged. Snap decision in a tight game. Things happen. CCH had a runner picked off 3rd early in game. Kids will be kids.

With that said, both sides fought their tails off.

On the CCH side, knowing Rom was likely coming in the game at some point, it was critical to score as much as they could early. I wish Maile would have been given the chance to swing the bat in the 2nd, with 1 out and runners on 2nd/3rd. Instead, he lays down a great squeeze bunt, but you give up an out. Who knows? Maybe he would not have driven either runner in, or, perhaps he doubles two runs in and there’s still just one out. The small ball philosophy leaves no margin for error. Especially with a shut down Clydesdale in Baioni’s back pocket.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

Good luck to Highlands in Lexington.

Great catches in critical situations. Love seeing kids laying it on the line for a cause bigger than themselves. The beauty of high school athletics was on full display.

Highlands earned that region championship.

I've heard from more than a couple people talking about how it was painful watching Coach Eckerle wearing a hat with a big H on it and clapping to celebrate a Covington Catholic loss in the region finals.

Very weird turn of allegiance in my opinion

I’m sure it felt odd for him as well. I’m not sure though why anyone would be bothered by it.