How much do private schools cost?

PurplePride92

Oh, I know, tongue in cheek my man.

And no chance on that one....I gotta keep my $ to afford that Cov Cath tuition ~13 years from now. :lol2: I can only imagine how much it'll grow to by then! :eek:

Cov Cath has a program that allows you to pay the 4 years of tuition in full right now and then you won't have to pay any additional inflation that has occurred between now and then when your son goes in 13 years.

Also, gotta ask...any reason you're thinking you want to send your son to Cov Cath instead of your alma mater?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cov Cath has a program that allows you to pay the 4 years of tuition in full right now and then you won't have to pay any additional inflation that has occurred between now and then when your son goes in 13 years.

Also, gotta ask...any reason you're thinking you want to send your son to Cov Cath instead of your alma mater?

I live a lot closer to Cov Cath, and have zero desire to ever move back to Campbell County.

What I would be looking for in a school for my sons/grandsons.

And that is what? A good sports school? A school that ranked 5th out of 8 in ACT scores when I did my research? FYI, The lowest ranked has the best program for LD students. An all boys school? Not a good option if you had grand daughters. Cov. Latin is an option as an accelerated school that allows bright students to skip grades. Each of the schools offer an excellent fit for any given student. Have to gauge what is best from the outside based upon the cost of tuition.

And that is what? A good sports school? A school that ranked 5th out of 8 in ACT scores when I did my research? FYI, The lowest ranked has the best program for LD students. An all boys school? Not a good option if you had grand daughters. Cov. Latin is an option as an accelerated school that allows bright students to skip grades. Each of the schools offer an excellent fit for any given student. Have to gauge what is best from the outside based upon the cost of tuition.

Those numbers are hard to compare when you take into account the school sizes. Cov Cath is the largest school in the diocese, so they are logically going to have a larger number of students who will score lower on their ACT. I haven't checked recently, but although they may be in the relative middle for ACT scores, they were *fairly* recently leading the diocesan high schools in total number of Governors Scholars and National Merit Finalists.

JMO, but private schooling if one can afford to do it, is the absolute best investment you can make.

Along those same lines, I don't know of anyone that has ever been turned away from a private (at least Catholic) school because they couldn't afford the tuition.

I'll disagree with you as there are so many factors that need to be taken into account. It really comes down to individual situations in order to determine if private is the best investment you can make. I will say you certainly seldom can go wrong with private schooling.

As to the cost, I remember working with several people in Cincinnati who were ecstatic when their children would graduate as tuition at Ohio State was less than they were paying for high school. That always amazed me.

Those numbers are hard to compare when you take into account the school sizes. Cov Cath is the largest school in the diocese, so they are logically going to have a larger number of students who will score lower on their ACT. I haven't checked recently, but although they may be in the relative middle for ACT scores, they were *fairly* recently leading the diocesan high schools in total number of Governors Scholars and National Merit Finalists.

Funny you mention it is hard to have a high average on the ACT since they have the most students but they may have the most total numbers of Gov Scholars and NMF's. Well that maybe be because they have more students? Or if not, wouldn't all of those scholars and finalist raise the overall scores?

Just busting your chops, Cov Cath is a great school and if I lived closer it would have been a tough decision not to send my son to an all boys school like I went to.

Aside from religious reasons which I won't get into, it's my experience that my friends that were private school educated were much better prepared for college and "adulting" than those that went to public schools.

We are now getting into correlation vs causation.

We are now getting into correlation vs causation.

Yes. And while the schools obviously play a part in this, there is so much more to it than which school you attend. My thought is the biggest factor is the educational support and guidance one recieves from parents/guardians, plays a much bigger role in success than the school you choose to attend. Obviously, the argument that can be made is that if parents are paying 5 figures for their kid to attend a school, they will absolutely be more involved in their childs education to ensure their money is not being wasted, and thus lead to a higher percentage of engaged students and a better learning environment.

I went to public school and a lot of my college friends went to private schools. I had friends from my high school who had above 4.0 and well above 30 on their ACT who wanted to go to med school, but took a long time adjusting to how to study and learn in college. My private school friends often had 3.5ish GPAs in HS and high 20’s on their ACTs but are currently excelling in med school. I don’t necessarily believe private school kids are smarter than public school kids, but they were certainly A LOT more prepared for the college life and what it takes to get it done once they get there.

Yes and no on price equaling quality. All of the schools have different things they offer. Several of the grade schools and high schools in the Diocese of Covington are National Blue Ribbon Schools. Schools like Villa Madonna and Holy Cross offer the opportunity to grow up in a school community that goes from grade school through high school. St. Henry also has a grade school & high school, although they're on different campuses. Villa has very small class sizes, which appeals to some, whereas Cov Cath and Notre Dame have larger class sizes, by comparison. Covington Latin is an accelerated learning school, with most students skipping at 7th and/or 8th grade before attending. Some offer more AP courses than others. Cov Cath and Notre Dame are single-sex schools.

There aren't any single-sex Catholic grade schools, and by and large there aren't as many differences apart from school size when it comes to the grade schools in the Diocese.

The diocese of Covington used to have a "feeder school" districting system that would have students from certain Catholic grade schools matriculate into specific assigned high schools, but that districting system was done away with by the current bishop. Any Catholic student within the diocese is welcome to attend any Catholic school in the diocese without having to pay any out of district fees.

Holy Cross grade school isn't even Holy Cross's largest feeder. Most the kids start off at different 1-8 than HC.

JMO, but private schooling if one can afford to do it, is the absolute best investment you can make.

Along those same lines, I don't know of anyone that has ever been turned away from a private (at least Catholic) school because they couldn't afford the tuition.

Just not true IMO. Not saying anything negative, but plenty of public schools are jsut as good. Some better than most privates.

...with more challenges.

But at a much cheaper price. And even with “less challenges”, private schools aren’t perfect, and without challenges of their own. Are a few less challenges worth $40k (give or take)? It would have cost me over $120k to send three kids through private school. Even with the extra “challenges”, my kids did well in public school (one that has a reputation for having more challenges than most) and went/are going to college almost for nothing out of pocket because of academic achievement in high school. How would private school have been a better investment in my case, which is far from unique?