Another California School Shooting 5/11/18

plantmanky

They probably think they will get a trophy for it....they get one for everything else they participate in. Everyone is a winner and never have to face disappointment. Oh you lost...here is a trophy because you are awesome!

When did this excessive trophy business start because we have had school shootings since the 1800's?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When did this excessive trophy business start because we have had school shootings since the 1800's?

School shootings in the 1800’s? That was just the Hatfields and McCoys.

They probably think they will get a trophy for it....they get one for everything else they participate in. Everyone is a winner and never have to face disappointment. Oh you lost...here is a trophy because you are awesome!

The participation trophy argument. The only problem is participation trophies have always existed in some form or another. And no kid has ever confused a participation trophy for a major award. The only people who care about participation trophies are the adults who complain about them. And no kid is shooting up a school because he didn’t get one.

It seems we’re are attempting to blame these shootings on any and everything except the person who did it.

Edited by rjs4470

This...and sitting in their room playing shootem up video games where pulling a trigger and watching people fall becomes numb and impersonal.

There are literally millions upon millions of people (kids AND adults)playing these games (myself included on occasion). 99.99999% of would never even consider shooting up a school, or anything else for that matter. If video games were the root cause, we be seeing these events everyday instead of a handful of times a year.

I think there are a host of reasons. A lot more single parent households, the over medication of our youth , less discipline allowed on youth, and honestly to much emphasis worried about hurting their feelings instead of teaching right or wrong.

I've never bought into the Video Game theory of why kids do violent acts. Millions and millions of kids and young adults have grown up playing video games and out of that only a miniscule amount have participated in mass violence such as a school shooting. I remember in the 70's when Road Runner and Coyote were taken off of TV for being too violent...just when I was about to order that ACME Rocket kit too.

People that carry out these acts are just wired differently than the rest of us. Maybe the games embolden them and gloirifies the shooting and killing to them...to the rest of us it's just a game, as we don't look at them that way.

Completely agree.

If video games had desensitized me I'd be running around getting hookers and blow while beating up cops because I played grand theft auto as a teen. I didn't and I don't do that, my brother, who's a youth minister but also played the same game didn't take that path either.

It's just ignorant to compare video games to real life actions. Maybe there is a correlation for folks that are, like you said, "wired differently" but that doesn't mean it's the source of crime. The other 99.99% of folks that play the games and don't commit crime are proof. Really when you look at it, it's a lot like the conservative version of gun control, blaming something besides the person that's got a problem.

Completely agree.

If video games had desensitized me I'd be running around getting hookers and blow while beating up cops because I played grand theft auto as a teen. I didn't and I don't do that, my brother, who's a youth minister but also played the same game didn't take that path either.

It's just ignorant to compare video games to real life actions. Maybe there is a correlation for folks that are, like you said, "wired differently" but that doesn't mean it's the source of crime. The other 99.99% of folks that play the games and don't commit crime are proof. Really when you look at it, it's a lot like the conservative version of gun control, blaming something besides the person that's got a problem.

That .01% is the issue at hand.

We are talking about school shootings.-- It takes a nut job to do it. Not saying video games did it. It takes a lot of factors.

I think there are a host of reasons. A lot more single parent households, the over medication of our youth , less discipline allowed on youth, and honestly to much emphasis worried about hurting their feelings instead of teaching right or wrong.

The bold is a thought I had. I would like to know the statistics on the family situation of these shooters. I wonder how many shooters were raised in a home with their mother and father who were married and living together as a family the shooter's entire life?

The bold is a thought I had. I would like to know the statistics on the family situation of these shooters. I wonder how many shooters were raised in a home with their mother and father who were married and living together as a family the shooter's entire life?

Do you think professor Warnick has a point that there's a different value system at suburban schools? Do you give his comment "Self-discovery and individual expression aren't necessarily bad things, but for certain troubled young men who harbor deep resentment of the system that rejected them, there's no better way to express their true, tortured selves than through a dramatic act of violence. And the higher the body count, the more powerful the message will be" any credence?