Coach Roger Gruneisen Defensive Playbook, Paris HS, 1988

Thought you guys would like this....

Just found Coach Roger Gruneisen’s defensive playbook from 1988, Paris Greyhounds. His version of Bobby Redman’s Confusion Defense combined with his brother Sam’s defense who played for Chargers & coached with the Raiders. Classic!

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 4.13.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-04-07 at 4.14.01 PM.png

Chief,

Always a hard defense to go against when we scrimmaged Male. The main way to beat it was traps and pick plays passing the ball. Not that it worked every time, but, you could spring a big play now and then.

I still have my playbook from good ol' Bourbon County High School. Our head coach was Wilson Sears back from the year 1983 I believe. 50 Defense and offense was the Split Back Veer. I used to study that thing and try to understand what the terminology meant etc as a freshman. Sears was a very good teacher of his system. I will try to post the cover with a photo. Brings back memories. Thanks for sharing this Chief!

I still have my playbook from good ol' Bourbon County High School. Our head coach was Wilson Sears back from the year 1983 I believe. 50 Defense and offense was the Split Back Veer. I used to study that thing and try to understand what the terminology meant etc as a freshman. Sears was a very good teacher of his system. I will try to post the cover with a photo. Brings back memories. Thanks for sharing this Chief!

I know Wilson very well.

Folks, Chief Smoke started a nice thread here about Coach Gruneisen's playbook.

If someone wants to start a thread about a "Hall of Shame," have at it. Not going to happen in this one.

First class and I really appreciate it. Thank you!

Just curious, but I'm assuming he was also the coach at Trinity?

Yep. He was head coach at Trinity from '80-'84, then an assistant at Waggener in '85, then took the head coaching position at Paris in '86, replacing Coach Randy Reese after Coach Reese went to Henderson County. Gruneisen left Paris for Bourbon County in '92 and I believe that was his last coaching job.

I will tell ya playing them in the late eighties and trying to run the ball against them was tough ... it always looked like they had like 16 players on the field .... not very fun for 48 minutes I promise ya ... we did have some success throwing against them though ...

I will tell ya playing them in the late eighties and trying to run the ball against them was tough ... it always looked like they had like 16 players on the field .... not very fun for 48 minutes I promise ya ... we did have some success throwing against them though ...

I coached our freshman team at Paris until becoming the head coach there in 1992. It was a great defense for freshman games... we usually had the box outnumbered and as you said, opponents rarely threw the ball. And, when they did, we were able to get pressure on the passer. Because it was different/unconventional a freshman offensive line struggled with how to block it.

Roger was very organized and was good at breaking down the details to teach the game of football. He also had the best rapport with kids of any coach I ever worked with.

Male had the cats to run it.

Yeah found that out in 93. Their run through the playoffs was interesting that year. I think that the two games leading up to the title game their offense had only scored 1 TD. They beat teams scoring on defense and special teams.