Coach Roger Gruneisen Defensive Playbook, Paris HS, 1988

Yep. He was head coach at Trinity from '80-'84, then an assistant at Waggener in '85, then took the head coaching position at Paris in '86, replacing Coach Randy Reese after Coach Reese went to Henderson County. Gruneisen left Paris for Bourbon County in '92 and I believe that was his last coaching job.

Thank you for sharing.

I know North Laurel tried to run this defense in 2001. Southwestern Head Coach Dale Anderson described it as an Amoeba defense. But the Warriors in their veer offense shredded it because the Warriors dominated the LOS. I can only imagine what life was like playing against those good Male teams with that defense.

I know North Laurel tried to run this defense in 2001. Southwestern Head Coach Dale Anderson described it as an Amoeba defense. But the Warriors in their veer offense shredded it because the Warriors dominated the LOS. I can only imagine what life was like playing against those good Male teams with that defense.

Breathitt and Fleming both ran it, but they slid the Mike to over one Guard and the Rover over the other Guard to make it look like a 5-2. Both programs did a good job running it and I thought their adjustment was a good one.

According to Redman the veer was one reason they ran it. He said the defense gave him a chance against Trinity who was a split back veer team back in the day.

According to Redman the veer was one reason they ran it. He said the defense gave him a chance against Trinity who was a split back veer team back in the day.

The edge guys were grouped as follows: Sam-Zip-Tackle and Will-Rover-Tackle. We ran different stunts that changed option responsibility. Before every snap you would hear....."B Gap, Dive" "C Gap, Quarterback", " D Gap(?), Pitch". And, there was no read/scrape to it. On the snap of the ball, you were attacking that responsibility.

The penetrating defender had to beat the down block with quickness to defend the veer. At Paris, we had some guys that could do that when we first put it in. If the OL could execute that down block, they could seal the edge and run outside veer with success.

That is interesting about the Confusion Defense, ChiefSmoke. Now I know why Southwestern ran the Veer when Dale Anderson was there. He was an assistant at Trinity before going to Southwestern.

That offense was Jim Kennedy’s. Roger played for him @ Trinity and then played for Lee Corso at U of L. Our offense at Paris, Mason, & now Mercer’s is an evolution of Kennedy’s offense....the base / foundation is Jim Kennedy. A universal language.... “Grey Left, 25 Blast.... Sprint Left Square”. :thumb: