Tubby Smith's views on transfers

4chs

Memphis coach Tubby Smith thinks that allowing players to transfer more freely will teach them to quit.

The following is a quote from Tubby Smith from the article. I find myself agreeing with him, but it's also probably why he has a hard time recruiting the elite players.

He said his father asked if somebody did something to him, and when he said "no," his father replied with several questions: "'You still getting your scholarship, aren't you? They're still feeding you? They still housing you? You still getting an education?'"

When Smith replied, "yes, sir," his father said: "'Well, you can't come home. Your bed's been taken. ... But you can join the Army.'"

But coaches can take new jobs and the players that came to play for him and not some school have to stay for a new coach they didn't sign up to play for. Seems fair. Freedom to transfer should happen.

But coaches can take new jobs and the players that came to play for him and not some school have to stay for a new coach they didn't sign up to play for. Seems fair. Freedom to transfer should happen.

I don’t have a problem if a coach leaves or gets fired if a player transfers.

Aren’t scholarships year to year?

Ole ten-loss-Tubby wants to kids to hang around out of loyalty when there may not be a shred of loyalty toward them: Coach can leave, they can be recruited over, and/ or their scholarship could be yanked.

The days of colleges and coaches making millions on the backs of players because that’s the way it “should be” is over.

He's not wrong. As a society we have created this age of self entitlement that alot of the younger generation has. We keep finding more and more ways to where young kids really don't have to work for anything. If it's to hard it's ok it's not your fault. We're creating things to where really young people don't truly have to work to overcome things. So when it comes to both teachers, coaches, and even police. Its making it a lot harder to hold people accountable. Because we as a society are basically saying it's ok, you can do what you want.

If kids are going to be allowed to transfer without penalty or sitting out a year. Then I do think there should be a rule to where you only get one free transfer without having to sit out a year.

He's not wrong. As a society we have created this age of self entitlement that alot of the younger generation has. We keep finding more and more ways to where young kids really don't have to work for anything. If it's to hard it's ok it's not your fault. We're creating things to where really young people don't truly have to work to overcome things. So when it comes to both teachers, coaches, and even police. Its making it a lot harder to hold people accountable. Because we as a society are basically saying it's ok, you can do what you want.

If kids are going to be allowed to transfer without penalty or sitting out a year. Then I do think there should be a rule to where you only get one free transfer without having to sit out a year.

Yes he is wrong. Is what you say true in some cases, sure. But has been forever. This narrative that the older generation is tough and the young as babies is played and tired.

Most kids only have so much time playing, why shouldn't they be allowed to go to a place that's better for them. Tubby is the worst possible messenger for this. Why should schools have this much control over kids. Are you allowed to leave your job if you want? Why do you want to hold these kids to a higher standard.

Yes he is wrong. Is what you say true in some cases, sure. But has been forever. This narrative that the older generation is tough and the young as babies is played and tired.

Most kids only have so much time playing, why shouldn't they be allowed to go to a place that's better for them. Tubby is the worst possible messenger for this. Why should schools have this much control over kids. Are you allowed to leave your job if you want? Why do you want to hold these kids to a higher standard.

It's not played and tired. In today's world we basically have taken away from teachers, coaches, and even in some cases police in their ability to hold students, players, people accountable. We have created things to where younger generation does feel they can do what they want, when they want. A coach yells at me. Ok I just leave. A teacher gives me a bad grade it's not my fault, it's the teachers fault. This is happening more and more.

So yes he is not wrong in how I take what his message was. That is we basically are doing less and less to hold anyone accountable. So that part of the message he is not wrong. As i also stated I am not saying they can't transfer at all. I do think their should be a limit to how many times a player can transfer without having to sit out a year. I'm good with with one transfer and being able to play right away. If tries to transfer again, then there should be something.

Funny coming from a coach that has quit 4 jobs for other jobs.

I'm not so sure that he quit all four of those jobs. 3 for sure, but I kinda feel like he might have been offered an easier exit from UK than had he choose to remain. I know he was a surprise to the fans when he took the Minnesota job, just not so sure it was a surprise to the athletic dept.

That being said your point remains the same, and I agree.

It's not played and tired. In today's world we basically have taken away from teachers, coaches, and even in some cases police in their ability to hold students, players, people accountable. We have created things to where younger generation does feel they can do what they want, when they want. A coach yells at me. Ok I just leave. A teacher gives me a bad grade it's not my fault, it's the teachers fault. This is happening more and more.

So yes he is not wrong in how I take what his message was. That is we basically are doing less and less to hold anyone accountable. So that part of the message he is not wrong. As i also stated I am not saying they can't transfer at all. I do think their should be a limit to how many times a player can transfer without having to sit out a year. I'm good with with one transfer and being able to play right away. If tries to transfer again, then there should be something.

Why? Coaches aren't held to a higher standard. "We've created things to where younger generation does feel they can do what they want"....maybe that's because they see coaches breaking commits and promises all day every day. You want to hold the kids to a standard no one else is held to. These schools don't own these kids and they should free to go anywhere they want, especially if it is a better situation for them and their future. Can students leave one college for another without penalty? Why do you want student athletes treated differently?