Tubby Smith's views on transfers

4chs

Why? Coaches aren't held to a higher standard. "We've created things to where younger generation does feel they can do what they want"....maybe that's because they see coaches breaking commits and promises all day every day. You want to hold the kids to a standard no one else is held to. These schools don't own these kids and they should free to go anywhere they want, especially if it is a better situation for them and their future. Can students leave one college for another without penalty? Why do you want student athletes treated differently?

You make very good points. At the end of the day if everyone gets all these things people are wanting. Unlimited transfers, the NBA having the g league for players to go to straight out of high school. College basketball as we know it will be gone. In ten years college basketball would be like college baseball where a very little amount of people pay attention to it. However you are right, I have no solid argument back to what you said.

I will say if a coach leaves all players who signed there for that coach definitely should be allowed to leave too.

Why? Coaches aren't held to a higher standard. "We've created things to where younger generation does feel they can do what they want"....maybe that's because they see coaches breaking commits and promises all day every day. You want to hold the kids to a standard no one else is held to. These schools don't own these kids and they should free to go anywhere they want, especially if it is a better situation for them and their future. Can students leave one college for another without penalty? Why do you want student athletes treated differently?

I will actually add to this. Students switching schools Is different than players switching schools. At the end of the day college basketball is a business. It only exist because it's used to make money. So as a business the job is to do what's best for business. Allowing players to transfer anytime anywhere they want is not great for business because it would hurt the college game. The players don't have to play basketball. They could choose to only be a student if they want. They choose to take part in it. Which since it is a business I do think they should get paid in some way other than just a scholarship, but that's a different topic.

The NBA is also a business and it's why one and done came into play. It wasn't good for business to have high school players who are alot harder to evaluate when drafting. The ncaa and NBA are both businesses who are going to do what's best for business. You talk about real life. A company is not going to let an employee transfer wherever it wants in its company anytime it wants. Just like every school is a part of the whole business which is the ncaa. Allowing kids to transfer anytime anywhere with no penalty at all ever isn't best for business. You cant relate a regular student with a college athlete. A regular student isn't making millions for the overall business. A college athlete is, which means it's part of a business. Which every school is part of the same overall business. So it's not like real life where you quit a job and go to a new one. This case it's the same business you will be going to just in a different role. So if it's not best for the business, then its definitely the businesses right to have some punishment for transferring to try to protect the business.

I will say if a coach leaves all players who signed there for that coach definitely should be allowed to leave too.

The only caveat that I would add would be if the coach leaves on his own, to take another position, is that the players are not allowed to follow him to the new school (unless they sit out a full year, like they'd have to now). I don't like the prospect of the coach (or the new school) getting to have their cake and eat it too (coach at a new school, and take who he wants from his previous school).

Now, if it's the school's decision to fire the coach (assuming there's no legal/NCAA violations), then I don't have a problem with a kid following him (assuming he gets a job the next year).

The only caveat that I would add would be if the coach leaves on his own, to take another position, is that the players are not allowed to follow him to the new school (unless they sit out a full year, like they'd have to now). I don't like the prospect of the coach (or the new school) getting to have their cake and eat it too (coach at a new school, and take who he wants from his previous school).

Now, if it's the school's decision to fire the coach (assuming there's no legal/NCAA violations), then I don't have a problem with a kid following him (assuming he gets a job the next year).

Dis Sean Sutton have to sit out a year when following his Dad to Oklahoma State?

Dis Sean Sutton have to sit out a year when following his Dad to Oklahoma State?

If it's a "quit or be fired" type of situation, it's the school that's pulling the plug...so, no, I wouldn't have expected someone to have to sit out.

My focus is more on the coaches who line their next job up while still a head coach elsewhere. If a coach gets another school to buyout his current contract, that's one thing. He just shouldn't be able to rob the store on his way out.

The equation is not balanced at present. Scholarships are one year, but there is a penalty for transferring. If we want to limit transfers and and expect a player to make a commitment to a school, then make a more tangible commitment to the players. During my sons' college playing days, there were a lot of players who's scholarships did not get renewed.

There are a lot of college coaches who are real tools to put it mildly.

The equation is not balanced at present. Scholarships are one year, but there is a penalty for transferring. If we want to limit transfers and and expect a player to make a commitment to a school, then make a more tangible commitment to the players. During my sons' college playing days, there were a lot of players who's scholarships did not get renewed.

There are a lot of college coaches who are real tools to put it mildly.

When a scholarship is pulled by a college, if the player wants to go to another school does he still have to sit out a year due to transferring?

If that is true, then I would be okay with a player being allowed to transfer without sitting out if his scholarship is pulled.