House Bill 290, home school "teams" and KHSAA teams

BigVMan23

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are an awful lot more high school sports in Kentucky than just football.

Of course. I was responding to those talking about a football team.

Unless I'm a school that's out of the way I wouldn't schedule a home-school team in any sport. Put me in the "if they want to play high school sports go to a high school" camp.

Of course. I was responding to those talking about a football team.

Unless I'm a school that's out of the way I wouldn't schedule a home-school team in any sport. Put me in the "if they want to play high school sports go to a high school" camp.

What about kids wanting to compete in archery matches...or cross country meets...or bowling matches...or swim meets? Or God forbid we let them put 5 kids on a basketball court for a game of hoops? What is the big deal with letting home-schoolers do that?

What about kids wanting to compete in archery matches...or cross country meets...or bowling matches...or swim meets? Or God forbid we let them put 5 kids on a basketball court for a game of hoops? What is the big deal with letting home-schoolers do that?

Sports are an extracurricular activity.

...correct.

Let me expand. It's a privilege for those who attend a school. If you make a decision that home-schooling is best for your child that comes with ramifications. No different than me sending my son to a Catholic high school. I put him in an environment that I liked with the risk that some of the best teachers in a particular subject may be at the local public school due to better pay. Should I be able to pull my child out of the Catholic school for one subject? I pay taxes, right?

Every sport that I know , other than football, has non-high school leagues/competitions. So if the child yearns to play basketball let him/her play AAU or rec ball.

Choices come with downsides.

Yes it is. I know there are some they get what they need academically but most of the ones that I see do not.

This is the opposite of my experience. The ones I know personally have done a fabulous job educating their children, with the exception of one family.

This is the opposite of my experience. The ones I know personally have done a fabulous job educating their children, with the exception of one family.

That’s awesome. I wish I could say the same thing with what I have witnessed in most cases.

^ My wife sees that at her job in the public school. I was thinking of home school kids whose parents home school them based on their personal convictions and values.

You describe a real problem where unfit parents un-enroll their kids from public school because their case is about to go before the truancy officials. They "home school" them to avoid the consequences of neglecting their kid's education.

Mostly I have seen kids go in and out of “homeschool” to stay out of the court system.

Still waiting on that experience where a homeschooled kid rolls I and blows the doors off.

It's interesting that you say that. My mom actually homeschooled my younger brother for 3 years. He was in a Catholic grade school and they seldom offer any kind of real special education). As a fourth grader, he was falling significantly behind when it came to some of the age-appropriate premises he should have had in-hand already when it came to the basic reading, writing and arithmetic kind of concepts, and he needed more one on one time with teachers. That was something the Catholic school he attended couldn't offer. Mom opted to teach him at home so he could continue getting the religious aspect of his education.

After my mom taught him in the 5th, 6th, and 7th grade, he went back to the same grade school to complete the 8th grade, and won both their math and English awards, given to the student with the highest final grade for the year in each of those subjects.

Anyway, my mom always considered herself a HUGE proponent of home schooling. Fast forward a decade or so to when my older brother got married. Older brother's new brother-in-law is a social worker's worst nightmare. He doesn't work, dude is an easy 400lbs+, hardly ever gets himself out of his chair to clean his dump of a house...and he and his girlfriend have 6 kids together whom they openly acknowledge were all conceived in the interest of increasing their welfare checks. They have had a few cars in the time I have known them, but they have either promptly wrecked them, sold them off to have the money they could, or they broke down and were unable to fix them because of cost. They also struggled to keep them insured and keep gas in the tank. Anyway, long story short, they didn't like having to deal with getting their 6 kids to and from school on a day to day basis, so they opted to home school. Let's just say this...their kids are NOT going to be the ones rolling in anywhere and blowing any doors off, as you said. Anyway, it wasn't until my mom encountered that family that she definitely began to admit that there could be a downside to homeschooling, even though there can be definite upsides :lol2:

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

It's interesting that you say that. My mom actually homeschooled my younger brother for 3 years. He was in a Catholic grade school and they seldom offer any kind of real special education). As a fourth grader, he was falling significantly behind when it came to some of the age-appropriate premises he should have had in-handed already when it came to the basic reading, writing and arithmetic kind of concepts, and he needed more one on one time with teachers. That was something the Catholic school he attended couldn't offer. Mom opted to teach him at home so he could continue getting the religious aspect of his education.

After my mom taught him in the 5th, 6th, and 7th grade, he went back to the same grade school to complete the 8th grade, and won both their math and English awards, given to the student with the highest final grade for the year in each of those subjects.

Anyway, my mom always considered herself a HUGE proponent of home schooling. Fast forward a decade or so to when my older brother got married. Older brother's new brother-in-law is a social worker's worst nightmare. He doesn't work, dude is an easy 400lbs+, hardly ever gets himself out of his chair to clean his dump of a house...and he and his girlfriend have 6 kids together whom they openly acknowledge were all conceived in the interest of increasing their welfare checks. They have had a few cars in the time I have known them, but they have either promptly wrecked them, sold them off to have the money they could, or they broke down and were unable to fix them because of cost. They also struggled to keep them insured and keep gas in the tank. Anyway, long story short, they didn't like having to deal with getting their 6 kids to and from school on a day to day basis, so they opted to home school. Let's just say this...their kids are NOT going to be the ones rolling in anywhere and blowing any doors off, as you said. Anyway, it wasn't until my mom encountered that family that she definitely began to admit that there could be a downside to homeschooling, even though there can be definite upsides :lol2:

I actually had a homeschooled kid come in a couple of years ago. Brilliant kid, but he struggled so much socially it started to affect his studies. He lasted about 6 weeks and went back on homeschool.

What I see the most is your second example. Just making a wild estimation, but for every success story there are 10 that are not getting the education they need.