Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

House Bill 290, home school "teams" and KHSAA teams

Featured Replies

  • Author
Thanks!

 

I would imagine the very smallest schools in areas where there aren't a lot of small schools (Danville Christian, Frankfort Christian, Burgin, KSD in my neck of the woods) would benefit from having a few more potential opponents. I doubt many of the biggest schools would see any changes.

 

Agreed. Scott County wont be scheduling the Georgetown Home school Crusaders any time soon. However, there are a couple of home school teams (we played them this year) that can more than compete with smaller, and even some not-all-that-small KHSAA school teams. In all, it does allow the Silver Groves and Covington Latins of the world more choice/ability to competitively schedule. And I'm quite sure most of the home school teams will be more than happy to schedule schools such as those I mentioned.

  • Replies 58
  • Views 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Then upon further thought, it's pointless and doesn't really accomplish anything positive IMO.

 

Home-schooling has its perks just like traditional schooling does.

  • Author
Then upon further thought, it's pointless and doesn't really accomplish anything positive IMO.

 

And why do you think that? And the Tim Tebow rule will never get passed here, it just won't. That was brought up. It also wasn't the intent of the act. Here is a video link discussing act yesterday. The discussion starts at the 1:29:00 mark. I know Gavin (speaking in the video) and have played against his teams the past few years.

 

https://www.ket.org/legislature/?archive&nola=WGAOS+019087

If I'm reading this correctly, a bunch of kids at different schools could drop out of their current schools and form their own "Home-School" team, but they could not play in the post season or in any championships. They would only be allowed to play member schools in regular season competition.

 

Is that correct?

Home-schooling has its perks just like traditional schooling does.

 

No doubt, and I'm cool if that's how people feel. But at the end of the day, we're talking about something that is as pointless as HS sports and extracurriculars. Most home-schooled kids don't make the choice to be home-schooled, it's done for them. I'm not a big fan of them not being given the opportunity to participate because of that.

No doubt, and I'm cool if that's how people feel. But at the end of the day, we're talking about something that is as pointless as HS sports and extracurriculars. Most home-schooled kids don't make the choice to be home-schooled, it's done for them. I'm not a big fan of them not being given the opportunity to participate because of that.

 

Until you are 18, many decisions are made for you and you have to deal with the consequences. I don't know why this situation would be any different.

Until you are 18, many decisions are made for you and you have to deal with the consequences. I don't know why this situation would be any different.

 

Like I said, that's cool if that's how you feel. I simply don't agree.

If I'm reading this correctly, a bunch of kids at different schools could drop out of their current schools and form their own "Home-School" team, but they could not play in the post season or in any championships. They would only be allowed to play member schools in regular season competition.

 

Is that correct?

 

Looks like it to me, yes.

No doubt, and I'm cool if that's how people feel. But at the end of the day, we're talking about something that is as pointless as HS sports and extracurriculars. Most home-schooled kids don't make the choice to be home-schooled, it's done for them. I'm not a big fan of them not being given the opportunity to participate because of that.

 

Parents of private school kids make the choice to put them in private schools. What is your opinion on private schools competing within the KHSAA?

Parents of private school kids make the choice to put them in private schools. What is your opinion on private schools competing within the KHSAA?

 

They do compete in the KHSAA....

If I'm reading this correctly, a bunch of kids at different schools could drop out of their current schools and form their own "Home-School" team, but they could not play in the post season or in any championships. They would only be allowed to play member schools in regular season competition.

 

Is that correct?

 

Looks like it to me, yes.

 

Could you imagine some of the team names?

 

We could have the Dry Ridge Dropouts vs. the Hazard Homeschoolers.

  • Author
If I'm reading this correctly, a bunch of kids at different schools could drop out of their current schools and form their own "Home-School" team, but they could not play in the post season or in any championships. They would only be allowed to play member schools in regular season competition.

 

Is that correct?

 

I guess that could happen. Nothing to prevent it I guess, other than the students having to adhere to KY home school policy and dictates, which I'm not familiar with. Ma'ma couldn't just pull Jr. out of school and claim he's being home schooled to be able to play on some certain home school team, there are requirements Jr. would have to meet and maintain.

 

And remember, the KHSAA schools are the ones with the choice to schedule these teams or not. If someone was trying to skirt the intent of this whole thing, I'd say KHSAA coaches would be apt not to schedule them, and might would be told not to do so by the KHSAA themselves.

On a more serious note, if the KHSAA is going to seed for the playoffs they will have to account for games against Home Schooled teams in addition to time of running clock and out of state opponents.

 

Oh what a tangled web we weave!

  • Author
On a more serious note, if the KHSAA is going to seed for the playoffs they will have to account for games against Home Schooled teams in addition to time of running clock and out of state opponents.

 

Oh what a tangled web we weave!

 

???Not sure I follow you here Ru.

They do compete in the KHSAA....

 

My apologies...I misread the last sentence in the post I quoted. Missed the second "not".

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.