Ryle

Yes I have been to both high school and Aau games!

3 maybe 4 from Cov Cath

2 maybe 3 from Cooper

1 from NCC

2 from Newport

1 from Beechwood

3 from Boone

I say he is between 14-25 in the region

He's higher than that. I'd have him in the 8 to 10 range. Nice player who scores and rebounds.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, Ryle's struggles over the last few years have nothing to do with Vince. A school having more students enrolled doesn't always translate to more wins, just look at how few 9th region titles have been won by 6 A schools recently. Ryle also tends to have a lot of athletes concentrate on football or other sports. If Ryle had a few more Vinces, even one or two more, they would be much more competitive. He is a talented young man with size & above average perimeter skills. I would rank him between 8 & 15 taking school & AAU competition into consideration. I think any program in NKY would love to have him on their team.

Exactly right. I had some free time this afternoon before the NFL games start so I went to the KHSAA score book and looked up the records of Ryle over the years. They have never been consistently good. They have a few years here and there that pop up but for the most part they have been mediocre for their entire existence. The records on the score book go back to 1997-98 so I believe there are a few years of records before that Ryle was open but I just wanted some quick data. They only have one year with single digit losses and most hover around .500. Seems to be a systemic problem, not just "coaching"

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65286[/ATTACH]

The year they won the region they had their best player ever on that team in Doellman. They haven't had a lot of talent of that caliber or even close over the years, IMO.

I couldn't tell you how many have left the program. Gallatin County has received David Henson, Trent Maddox, nick brown , Zac brown. All started for gallatin. I am certain others have gone to other schools.

That seems really strange to me, would think those kids would've stayed in NKY. Their parents all buy farms down south?

The one thing that is missing on this thread is that Cooper, which was founded in 2008 and is just down the road from Ryle, split the attendance between the two schools. Theoretically, these schools are drawing from the same pool of talent in the district. Does anyone really believe that Cooper just got lucky with where the line was drawn? With that in mind, why do the records for the past five years look so different between these two schools? The idea that it is systemic may be correct, but it could easily be argued that what is systemic is the decision process for how Ryle's coaches are hired. The talent that runs through that system hits a brick wall at the JV level.

The one thing that is missing on this thread is that Cooper, which was founded in 2008 and is just down the road from Ryle, split the attendance between the two schools. Theoretically, these schools are drawing from the same pool of talent in the district. Does anyone really believe that Cooper just got lucky with where the line was drawn? With that in mind, why do the records for the past five years look so different between these two schools? The idea that it is systemic may be correct, but it could easily be argued that what is systemic is the decision process for how Ryle's coaches are hired. The talent that runs through that system hits a brick wall at the JV level.

Their records are so different over the last 5 years because of the McNeil family and Adam Kunkle. No one has been walking around the Ryle hallways in the last 5 years approaching that level of talent.

Thread began with "What's wrong with Ryle" and quickly transitioned to Vince Rankin. My son played and graduated from Ryle and my nephew is currently playing so I'll offer a little insight. First, put the Vince Rankin questions to rest. VINCE IS A PLAYER. Top ten in region? Maybe, maybe not, but he is a Junior and will definitely be one of the best players in the 9th next year. Works his tail off in the off season and is an excellent teammate.

Lets dispel some of the myths surrounding what is wrong with Ryle Basketball.

Myth #1: Kids are leaving Gray before arriving at Ryle. Inaccurate. The kids at Gray ARE coming to Ryle, if anything they have had at least 1 "new" player come in recent seasons. The truth is some of the kids that had success at Gray just didn't get any better, or aren't playing basketball. The Junior class that won so much at Gray is a great example of the argument of Middle school success not translating to High school success. 4 of the 5 starters from that team are still playing, with Vince being the only real contributor. The others were bigger and stronger than everyone in Middle school, not so much now.

Myth #2: Ryle doesn't have very good players. Inaccurate. The program has several promising underclassmen. 8th grader, Robinson, could end up being a real point guard. The Middle school success translating to High school argument can certainly be made here. However, he does not have the size advantage in Middle School and has had some success this season. He has good vision, but his shot selection could definitely improve. Freshman, Tyler Bush is long, can jump with anyone, is developing a perimeter shot and will make an impact next season. Sophomores, Benton, Ashcraft and Caggiano all bring a very different skill set to the table. If Benton develops a post presence, look out! He and Ashcraft share a similar problem in that defensive struggles limit their minutes. Ashcraft has shown flashes of being a top tier shooter and has made several big shots, but has to improve defensively. Caggiano has shown the ability to run the floor, finish in the paint and rebound, but disappears for extended periods of time, which is not uncommon for this age. The Juniors have Vince of course, but Andrew Schmitt is the kid that could really help Ryle get over the hump next year. He is extremely long, a well above average defender, but has struggled finishing on the offensive end. There are several other players that could end up being serious contributors, but I am just not willing to buy in yet.

What might really be wrong with Ryle is in reality a combination of factors. The trend of good players not playing after their Sophomore/Junior seasons is disturbing. This is a trend that I expect WILL CONTINUE. Surrounding Vince with a supporting cast that can threaten opposing defenses has been a huge problem this year. Currently, Ryle's best scoring options aside from Vince are sophomores that cannot stay on the floor due to defensive lapses.

I wont begin to speculate on why kids stop playing. I also wont speculate or question Coach McFarland's basketball knowledge. The only fair statement is that it his responsibility to turn the ifs into absolutes. As the coach it is his responsibility to make Benton and Ashcraft adequate defenders so they can alleviate the pressure on Vince on the offensive end. It is his responsibility to make sure Caggiano learns to perform regardless of the situation or opponent. It is his responsibility to teach Robinson and Bush that its a team game and the value of a great pass. He has to bring out the best in Andrew Schmitt.

What is wrong with Ryle is they are young. A better question is why are they so young and what put them in this situation? Identify it and keep the young kids that are contributing, playing. If not, there will be an identical post next season.

I'm not a basketball genius, but I don't see huge rebound numbers and haven't for a few years. No second chance opportunites or limiting oppents second chance opportunities. I think rebounding is pure toughness and willing to go get big and strong inside and get position. Rankin is a stud, he can bang low and go high and drive strong. The Benton kid seems to only play outside. The tallest kid isn't in position to rebound. He's not big and beefy, but he is certainly long enough to rebound.

Thread began with "What's wrong with Ryle" and quickly transitioned to Vince Rankin. My son played and graduated from Ryle and my nephew is currently playing so I'll offer a little insight. First, put the Vince Rankin questions to rest. VINCE IS A PLAYER. Top ten in region? Maybe, maybe not, but he is a Junior and will definitely be one of the best players in the 9th next year. Works his tail off in the off season and is an excellent teammate.

Lets dispel some of the myths surrounding what is wrong with Ryle Basketball.

Myth #1: Kids are leaving Gray before arriving at Ryle. Inaccurate. The kids at Gray ARE coming to Ryle, if anything they have had at least 1 "new" player come in recent seasons. The truth is some of the kids that had success at Gray just didn't get any better, or aren't playing basketball. The Junior class that won so much at Gray is a great example of the argument of Middle school success not translating to High school success. 4 of the 5 starters from that team are still playing, with Vince being the only real contributor. The others were bigger and stronger than everyone in Middle school, not so much now.

Myth #2: Ryle doesn't have very good players. Inaccurate. The program has several promising underclassmen. 8th grader, Robinson, could end up being a real point guard. The Middle school success translating to High school argument can certainly be made here. However, he does not have the size advantage in Middle School and has had some success this season. He has good vision, but his shot selection could definitely improve. Freshman, Tyler Bush is long, can jump with anyone, is developing a perimeter shot and will make an impact next season. Sophomores, Benton, Ashcraft and Caggiano all bring a very different skill set to the table. If Benton develops a post presence, look out! He and Ashcraft share a similar problem in that defensive struggles limit their minutes. Ashcraft has shown flashes of being a top tier shooter and has made several big shots, but has to improve defensively. Caggiano has shown the ability to run the floor, finish in the paint and rebound, but disappears for extended periods of time, which is not uncommon for this age. The Juniors have Vince of course, but Andrew Schmitt is the kid that could really help Ryle get over the hump next year. He is extremely long, a well above average defender, but has struggled finishing on the offensive end. There are several other players that could end up being serious contributors, but I am just not willing to buy in yet.

What might really be wrong with Ryle is in reality a combination of factors. The trend of good players not playing after their Sophomore/Junior seasons is disturbing. This is a trend that I expect WILL CONTINUE. Surrounding Vince with a supporting cast that can threaten opposing defenses has been a huge problem this year. Currently, Ryle's best scoring options aside from Vince are sophomores that cannot stay on the floor due to defensive lapses.

I wont begin to speculate on why kids stop playing. I also wont speculate or question Coach McFarland's basketball knowledge. The only fair statement is that it his responsibility to turn the ifs into absolutes. As the coach it is his responsibility to make Benton and Ashcraft adequate defenders so they can alleviate the pressure on Vince on the offensive end. It is his responsibility to make sure Caggiano learns to perform regardless of the situation or opponent. It is his responsibility to teach Robinson and Bush that its a team game and the value of a great pass. He has to bring out the best in Andrew Schmitt.

What is wrong with Ryle is they are young. A better question is why are they so young and what put them in this situation? Identify it and keep the young kids that are contributing, playing. If not, there will be an identical post next season.

Welcome to BGP!!!