Walmart Receipt Check

NamecipS

I was watching a video on youtube and the next video that came up was an incident where the customer refused to show his receipt to the Walmart greeter as he was leaving.

I've seen a few before and Walmart always seems to state it's Walmart Policy(that's great, I don't work at Walmart and I didn't sign anything agreeing to follow Walmart's policy.) or Shopkeepers Priveledge. I had to look it up. For those that don't know it.... Shopkeeper's privilege is a law recognized in some parts of the United States under which a shopkeeper is allowed to detain a suspected shoplifter on store property for a reasonable period of time, so long as the shopkeeper has cause to believe that the person detained in fact committed, or attempted to commit, theft of store property. I believe this is a basic definition and each state has it's own version.

I feel like when Walmart takes my money or swipes my credit card, that merchandise is now my property. I've been stopped once or twice and had no problem showing my receipt because the items were not bagged, so I can see how they would have a concern there.

What are your thoughts on this practice? Do you have a problem with stopping and showing your receipt?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching a video on youtube and the next video that came up was an incident where the customer refused to show his receipt to the Walmart greeter as he was leaving.

I've seen a few before and Walmart always seems to state it's Walmart Policy(that's great, I don't work at Walmart and I didn't sign anything agreeing to follow Walmart's policy.) or Shopkeepers Priveledge. I had to look it up. For those that don't know it.... Shopkeeper's privilege is a law recognized in some parts of the United States under which a shopkeeper is allowed to detain a suspected shoplifter on store property for a reasonable period of time, so long as the shopkeeper has cause to believe that the person detained in fact committed, or attempted to commit, theft of store property. I believe this is a basic definition and each state has it's own version.

I feel like when Walmart takes my money or swipes my credit card, that merchandise is now my property. I've been stopped once or twice and had no problem showing my receipt because the items were not bagged, so I can see how they would have a concern there.

What are your thoughts on this practice? Do you have a problem with stopping and showing your receipt?

I would stop you every. single. time.

Only places I knew that did that were membership clubs like Costco.

Not a big fan of it, but I haven't set foot in a Wal Mart in probably close to 10 years, so they can do whatever they'd like, they're not getting my business either way.

Why don't you shop there?

Only places I knew that did that were membership clubs like Costco.

Not a big fan of it, but I haven't set foot in a Wal Mart in probably close to 10 years, so they can do whatever they'd like, they're not getting my business either way.

God bless you. I wish everyone would follow suit and do the same. :)

Why don't you shop there?

Unlike my friend UKMustangFan, I do go there occasionally, but only when it's a severe inconvenience to go somewhere else. Just not a big fan of the place. Plus, seems like everytime I go to the one in my town, there's someone bumming me for a couple of dollars "to buy some gas" for their invisible vehicle.

While the merchdise is yours once it's paid for, stores do have a right to verify all merchandise is paid for before exiting the store.

The best shoplifters use store bags and old receipts to walk out with cart loads of merchandise. The receipt checks deter some of the and actually catch a decent percent. It is more useful as a deterrent than actually catching thieves.

Honestly without receipt checks or the possibility of them, Walmarts losses would be even more staggering than they currently are.

Just hand them your receipt, it takes like 5 seconds max ... we only get stopped if we have stuff underneath the buggy ... why really is this a problem ??? If you don’t have anything to hide it shouldn’t be a big deal ... some people also just want to be an jerk ... just saying

Edited by Jumper_Dad
R8

God bless you. I wish everyone would follow suit and do the same. :)

So you want your neighbors working at your local Walmart to be out of a job? I think that store probably has 250 or so employees with over half being full time. In the tri counties I'd bet Walmart employees at least 1200+ people...need to let them know ol' Science Friction wants them on the soup line.

While the merchdise is yours once it's paid for, stores do have a right to verify all merchandise is paid for before exiting the store.

The best shoplifters use store bags and old receipts to walk out with cart loads of merchandise. The receipt checks deter some of the and actually catch a decent percent. It is more useful as a deterrent than actually catching thieves.

Honestly without receipt checks or the possibility of them, Walmarts losses would be even more staggering than they currently are.

It also shows that the store doesn't trust their customers IMO.